Your closest air support

No screenshots but I once called in a heavy air strike on a building block, set the time for 10 minutes to allow for better accuracy and then promptly forgot all about it. I moved a couple of squads into some buildings across the road from the block before I remembered. Nobody on my side was hurt but they were shaken up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I just dropped 3 rather largish bombs on an enemy occupied building whose green and conscript but fanatical defenders were proving hard to flush out. The buildings collapsed under the pounding. Moving into mop up, however, the defenders sprang up like daisies only lightly wounded and apparently undaunted and gunned down one squad, who were no doubt as shocked as I was and failed to return fire, and then fired an rpg into the overwatch squad (who incidentally couldn't return fire as they apparently couldn't see the newly rubbled area they were being shot at from). A tad frustrating.

Interesting post. I am of the opinion that the game undermodels heavy airstrikes and I bring the point up from time to time. Your example is a good one. If the house comes down, it doesn't really matter how fanatical you are, you'll probably get killed. I remember BFC remarking something about how the most hard-bitten die hard troops will pack it in when they are on fire. The building coming down around you would definitely put you out of action for a while, even if it is just to dig yourself out of the disaster area.

BTW, fanatics will usually stand and fight until the die. They don't butt out when the going gets too tough. It's never too tough for those guys. Perhaps your guys probably couldn't return fire because of the smoke?

I just dropped 3 rather largish bombs on an enemy occupied building whose green and conscript but fanatical defenders were proving hard to flush out. The buildings collapsed under the pounding. Moving into mop up, however, the defenders sprang up like daisies only lightly wounded and apparently undaunted

It's not unreasonable that in CMSF the collapse of a building, even a multistory one, doesn't equal death to the pixeltruppen therein. But if you drop not one but three bombs on a building and blow it to smithereens, wouldn't the pixeltruppen inside simply be killed by the structure-destroying explosions themselves?

*** FILMED IN SPOILER-VISION! ***

While playing the third mission of the "Tip of the Spear" USMC mini-campaign (by FMB, IIRC), the orbiting F/A-18s dropped bombs on several BMP-3Ms, but during the after-action map review I noticed that a couple of the crews (in one case both crewmen) survived the destruction-by-JDAM of their vehicles. Granted, I can't confirm that all of the BMP-3Ms were destroyed by JDAMs falling directly on them (one knocked-out BMP-3M sat about 20 meters away from a large but empty crater, while another sat about 15 meters from a crater marking where one had taken a direct hit), but wouldn't even a "mere" 500-pounder falling directly on a relatively lightly armored IFV blow it to kingdom come and thus instantly kill its crew?

There seem to be a number of bugs with airstrike hits on vehicles.

I think the high motivations should be used rather sparingly, reminds me of monty python when an RPG team holed up in a house keeps on fighting despite massive concentrated firepower. Losing a leg "'tis but a flesh wound!" (yellow status :D ) to these guys.

On the other hand, insurgents in Iraq shooting up pure adrenaline have been know to be pretty hard to kill. As in they'd take multiple 7.62 to the chest, loose limbs, or be flattened by buildings and still be kicking despite mortal wounds (no shock or physiological factors meant they'd often keep fighting until they physically couldn't).

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/13/world/fg-iraqdrugs13

crazy stuff.

Anyway it just seems ridiculous when most of the enemy troops are ok and unfazed by a direct 500lb hit on their structure.