Units of measure in EOS.

StellarRat

Unit of measure is 1 pixel, that is metric not imperial.

Turns can be set to tick over any period of time but with the rulesets being adjustable in so many ways for movement and production, a turn and a pixel are very rubbery measures. I'd guess a turn is about a week in the official ruleset.

OK, so when creating new units you just have to use comparative measures like a sub should be twice as fast as a transport. You can't say it goes 30 knots so that converts to X pixels. Right?

It's correct that there are no "real world" measures of distance or time in the game. Things can get a little sticky with this - for example, if you use a ruleset with a world-map that is 2000x1000, then a particular unit might traverse the globe in 20 turns. However, if you use a world-map of 4000x2000, then that same unit will take 40 turns to traverse the globe. Of course, there's no "turns to days" conversion, either. I suppose you could say that 1 turn = 2 days in the first case, but 1 turn = 1 day in the second case. In that case, they'd take the same amount of time to traverse the globe.

I'd like to add some features to scenarios to adjust movement rates and ranges. Case in point: if aircraft have a range of 600 pixels, well what does that mean if my map of europe is 2000x1000 versus 4000x2000? In the second case, my aircraft move half as far on the map. Aircraft that could fly from London to Berlin in case 1 might only make it halfway there in case 2.

That's a good idea. You could call it the distance multiplier. BTW, what does "at target" vs "unit" mean on the unit edit screen. Also the nuke checkbox. Is there a place to look up how the program calculates chance to hit and chance to detect? Are they any damage formulas or does it just use the amount you plug in for each weapon?