Aircraft carriers

rich12545

1. You said the ai doesn't use these well. I'm wondering if they use them at all? Or how well? What do they do with them if they produce one? Do you have a time frame on when you'll be able to get them working properly?

2. Same questions on paratroops.

3. Are you considering adding an option for all sides to start at war with each other? If so, do you have a time frame for this?

Sorry to be redundant but these are important to me to really get into the game. Especially 1 and 3. Thanks.

1. You said the ai doesn't use these well. I'm wondering if they use them at all? Or how well? What do they do with them if they produce one? Do you have a time frame on when you'll be able to get them working properly?

2. Same questions on paratroops.

3. Are you considering adding an option for all sides to start at war with each other? If so, do you have a time frame for this?

Sorry to be redundant but these are important to me to really get into the game. Especially 1 and 3. Thanks.

Yeah, sorry I haven't addressed them yet. I don't have a time-frame on getting the AI to use aircraft carriers or using them well. It's something I'm going to have to sit down and think about how I can integrate carrier decisions with the rest of the AI decision-making.

Regarding #3, maybe I'll take a look at this issue this week. I'll give it a try and see what kinds of issues it raises in the game. It might be a simple addition, I'm not quite sure yet.

Another Carrier request: A repeat air sortie command that repeats the sortie relative to the carriers movement and not to the initial sorties end point. Umm..for instance a sortie ordered 90 degrees to starboard to maximum range, would be repeated exactly.

And a possible bug: I have noticed on a few occasions if planes sortie from a carrier grouped with another ship |Battleship?) they fail to land on the carrier and are lost (they are within the inner range circle). This seems to be if the carrier icon is not uppermost - what I see is the plane icon on top of the BB icon at the end of the turn. At the start of the next turn Poof plus skull and the planes are gone.

David

Another Carrier request: A repeat air sortie command that repeats the sortie relative to the carriers movement and not to the initial sorties end point. Umm..for instance a sortie ordered 90 degrees to starboard to maximum range, would be repeated exactly.

And a possible bug: I have noticed on a few occasions if planes sortie from a carrier grouped with another ship |Battleship?) they fail to land on the carrier and are lost (they are within the inner range circle). This seems to be if the carrier icon is not uppermost - what I see is the plane icon on top of the BB icon at the end of the turn. At the start of the next turn Poof plus skull and the planes are gone.

David

I'll look into it.

David

Pilots are historically very bad at identifying ships, maybe they just got confused... ;)

Just added #3 to the game.

Yeah, sorry I haven't addressed them yet. I don't have a time-frame on getting the AI to use aircraft carriers or using them well. It's something I'm going to have to sit down and think about how I can integrate carrier decisions with the rest of the AI decision-making.

Hi Brit, it looks like this might be a while. In the meantime, would you mind explaining how the ai handles carriers now?

Hi Brit, it looks like this might be a while. In the meantime, would you mind explaining how the ai handles carriers now?

The AI sees aircraft carriers as take-off/landing locations. If he wants to move an aircraft from point A to point B, he can land at the aircraft carrier if it's convenient for his path. The AI will also use the aircraft carrier as a basing location to reach a target.

Not as bad as I thought. Will the ai use carrier based aircraft to launch a bomber strike as if they were in a city? Will it dispatch fighters to defend against bomber attack as a city would?

Carriers are treated like cities and airfields. They *should* send fighters to defend against bombers, but I should double-check that to make sure the logic is setup correctly. The problem with the carriers right now, is that the AI doesn't know much about how to best move them around the map -- using them like mobile airfields.

It seems to me that if aircraft really does function that well from carriers, like from a city, then perhaps you could introduce logic that would get them moving similar to other warships, shouldn't be too difficult since that logic is already in place. That would suffice for now so at least carriers will be able to be used ok by the ai. What do you think about that?