Classic Empire ruleset.

hoolaman

So I finally bought the game...

I've uploaded a ruleset that is intended to capture the simplicity of the original empire game. It currently is a stripped back version of the WW2 ruleset included with the game. Available as a share in the game menu.

Please note I never played empire until I downloaded the original DOS version today! I think the original plays a lot more like civilisation 1 than EoS, but EoS captures the total war spirit of the original I think, and I know the game is versatile enough with its editor to play almost any combat style. I haven't done a great deal of testing of these rules, so feedback is strongly encouraged.

The ruleset should be played with no resources, and I'd strongly suggest increasing the replay speed to x5 to crank out those turns, and play on a default smallish map.

Features:

* Minimal unit types as in the old DOS "empire" - The only ground unit is "Army", the only air unit is "fighter". (I'm tossing up whether to add an armour unit).

* Several types of ships including subs and carriers.

* No tech Tree

* No buildings

* All unit production costs reduced to ~1/3 of original.

* Fighter movement ranges increased significantly.

PS. I post this in the main forum, the modding forum has 1 post?! Kill it!

Looks like I'm no longer the only one here who likes a simplified game. I've never played the 1900-2020 ruleset and prefer the 1940 one. This ruleset goes back to the original Empire game (Wargame of the Century) that was extremely popular 20 years ago.

This is best played with an option for all countries to start at war with each other. I've suggested this option but it hasn't yet been implemented.

If you want to be able to repair units, you need a building, probably a factory. Or Brit can add an option for cities to repair units.

You're right about the ai but not because it's simple. The ai currently doesn't send its units in for repairs. I've suggested adding this once a unit hits 50% hit points. Also the ai doesn't handle carriers well as yet.

I'm not so sure you need movement at 5x. Probably personal preference.

This is an excellent addition. I'll look at it closer later when I get time.

Here are a few things you can start with.

Eliminate all references to armor.

Since there no bombers, the fighters are used as fighter-bombers and values need to be adjusted.

Production times are too short.

Oh, and a medium to large map (adjust number of players to map size) would be better imo but, again, this really needs the option for all players to start at war with each other (and best to eliminate borders).

If you want to be able to repair units, you need a building, probably a factory. Or Brit can add an option for cities to repair units.

Someone sent in a bug report the other day about allowing cities to repair. Think I'll try to add it to the upcoming update.

I've uploaded a new tidied up version of these rules.

Unit descriptions are redone.

Fighter functions as a fighter bomber multi purpose air units and can attack all units and cities.

Production costs are slightly increased. (They are meant to be very fast, like an army every turn or two and nothing takes longer than 10 turns to build.)

Tweaks to Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, Subs for cost, defense and attack.

There won't be repairs, turn replay speed of x5 is purely a suggestion, any map size will work but maybe a larger one will be better, the AI hits pretty hard with quickly built units and transports in this game and you need to be on the ball to avoid getting flogged.