Nukes and sneak attacks

Makris1821

When I select to attack a city with a nuke it doesn't give the sneak attack warning that allows me to cancel the attack as with conventional weapons. I only get the message after the turn starts executing which is of course too late.

I've twice now accidentally started wars with unintended sneak attacks as I though I was attacking another player (based on old intel).

Is it possible to fix this?

When I select to attack a city with a nuke it doesn't give the sneak attack warning that allows me to cancel the attack as with conventional weapons. I only get the message after the turn starts executing which is of course too late.

I've twice now accidentally started wars with unintended sneak attacks as I though I was attacking another player (based on old intel).

Is it possible to fix this?

I took a look at this, but I don't think I'm seeing the same thing you are. I setup a scenario where I nuke a city, but I get the "sneak attack or declare war" options when I'm setting up my nuke to hit a city. Are you saying that you wanted to nuke a city which is owned by PlayerX, but that city has already been captured by PlayerY, and now your nuking the other PlayerY instead of PlayerX - but you don't find out until the turn is processing?

I'm not sure in that case what should happen. I suppose that the nukes could have a kill-switch (so that players could deactivate it at the last minute), although that gets messy from a code standpoint (pausing the turn processing to contact a player, wait for a response before continuing; which would get especially ugly in play-by-email games). The other option would just be to say that players should be very sure of who they're nuking. Do you have ideas for a third or fourth option? I'm not sure what the solution would be.

"Are you saying that you wanted to nuke a city which is owned by PlayerX, but that city has already been captured by PlayerY, and now your nuking the other PlayerY instead of PlayerX - but you don't find out until the turn is processing?"

I think you mean this is in the sense that Player X actually owned the city and Player Y captured it mid-turn while the missile was inbound. I don't mean that case (although it is an interesting one), I mean the case when my intel tells me Player X owns the city but after the turn is over the game tells me I've just conducted a sneak attack against Player Y (since they were the actual owners of the city since it had changed hands some time ago).

"If you have sneaked attacked a player once, the next attack is automatically set as sneak attack without any warning. Could that be the issue here?"

That's certainly possible, but I don't remember exactly: I had conducted a sneak attack a lot earlier in the game and it may have been against them.

"The other option would just be to say that players should be very sure of who they're nuking."

I'm wondering if this isn't the right answer the more I think about it, otherwise I could use the nukes as an exploit to check who owned what cities. However, this brings up another issue. It would be nice to have an option to make city ownership, and even estimates of overall economic and military strength of an opponent, available at all times regardless of intel status. IRL, I don't need to send spy planes and satellites over Beijing to know it is Chinese, or what their GDP or rough army size is, but I do to find out specific military deployments and facilities information.

It would be nice to have an option to make city ownership, and even estimates of overall economic and military strength of an opponent, available at all times regardless of intel status. IRL, I don't need to send spy planes and satellites over Beijing to know it is Chinese, or what their GDP or rough army size is, but I do to find out specific military deployments and facilities information.

I'm not sure. On one hand, I kind of like the idea of having to estimate the power of other players based on estimates of the size of their territory (using what you know about their borders). When I play civilization, they occasionally give you a ranking of which nations are most powerful. I actually don't like when they do that because it removes too much uncertainty - it let's me know if I'm ahead, how far I am behind, who the most powerful player is, etc. I actually like the uncertainty. It seems like a spy system might not be a bad way to go - players would have to make a decision to spend money/effort collecting that information. I don't think I'm going to create a spy system anytime soon, though. I'm also unsure about expanding the game to include that type of thing.

I'm not sure. On one hand, I kind of like the idea of having to estimate the power of other players based on estimates of the size of their territory (using what you know about their borders). When I play civilization, they occasionally give you a ranking of which nations are most powerful. I actually don't like when they do that because it removes too much uncertainty - it let's me know if I'm ahead, how far I am behind, who the most powerful player is, etc. I actually like the uncertainty. It seems like a spy system might not be a bad way to go - players would have to make a decision to spend money/effort collecting that information. I don't think I'm going to create a spy system anytime soon, though. I'm also unsure about expanding the game to include that type of thing.

Hey Brit,

I'm with you on that. I always thought that the ranking system in CIV was kinda a cheat. Let you know who you should attack/not attack before you really have the realistic intelligence to know that yet.

Along those lines :rolleyes: the page that shows who has what as far as technology is kinda a cheat that way too. It maybe way to hard as far as coding, but it would be great if the tech list for the opponents only showed what you have actually encountered out in the world.

And if it is that way, well.....never mind!

Cya,

KevinB

...Along those lines :rolleyes: the page that shows who has what as far as technology is kinda a cheat that way too...

I agree. How about a checkbox in the game creation screen where you can select the option to view the other players tech or not? :)

Along those lines :rolleyes: the page that shows who has what as far as technology is kinda a cheat that way too. It maybe way to hard as far as coding, but it would be great if the tech list for the opponents only showed what you have actually encountered out in the world.

I agree with you there. I really didn't want to have a screen where you could see what technologies other players have. The only reason it came up is because the trade agreement screen allows players to trade technology. If you don't know what technologies other players have, then you can't negotiate for them. That would get especially weird if you know, for example, that the other player has Biplanes, but you can't actually negotiate for the Biplane technology. The only good systems I could come up with were: you automatically know what technologies other players have (easy to code), or you only know what technologies other players have when you see his units and could logically deduce that he must know technologies X, Y, and Z in order to be able to build those units (which is more difficult from a coding perspective, plus it might not actually be accurate in scenarios where players can start with units that they can't actually build), or the other player can offer to trade his own technologies but you don't actually know that he has them, so he has to explicitly put them on the negotiating table (a little complex from the trade-agreement perspective). This was also one of the things I didn't like in the Civilization series: I could go to the trade-window in order to see what technologies another player has discovered, even though there's no way I could've known that information otherwise.

Hey Brit,

I always thought that the ranking system in CIV was kinda a cheat. Let you know who you should attack/not attack before you really have the realistic intelligence to know that yet.

Well I guess I'm in the minority with regard to disagreeing with this. Since there never seems to be a way to trade maps with the AI no matter what you offer, you spend the whole game playing blind. I suppose some players enjoy that, but I don't.

I agree that in Civ when you get a player ranking very early on, before you've ever made contact or even know who the other races are, that is a bit of a spolier. But once you've been in contact over a number of years basic information about another player seems quite natural. In my opinion, in EoS, not having even the most basic information about which cities the other players own seems forced and unrealistic.

Still, no one seems to be agreeing, so I guess I'll leave it at that.