Unplayable, Zero support and a waste of MONEY, DONT BUY

My two cents here as I started the original 'Bug thread' post which is where a lot of these performance problems have been listed. If you find new ones please update that thread!

The game is playable to a degree. The German campaign is reasonable, the Russian campaign is shockingly poor. There are a LOT of little issues with this game that do need addressing in due course, but the biggest bug is the memory leak. This is what people are running into at certain points within the campaign. It doesn't matter what system you have - You will hit this memory leak which makes the particular mission unplayable. Whether or not you run into this memory leak seems to be somewhat random however. The only way to currently rectify the problem is to save the current mission, exit the game, restart the PC and try again. Just exiting the game is not good enough. It's a pain in the backside. I virtually completed the German campaign, and didn't get further than mission 2 in the Russian campaign before I uninstalled.

People also feel somewhat aggrieved at the issue with the printed manual in the pre-order for what it's worth.

Well said Phil. I tried multiple times, fiddling with all kinds of settings, and the dang game is just unplayable. Games should NOT be released with the idea that the customers will end up being the beta testers. There are just way too many reports of the memory leak for this to be just a few guys with weak computers. We have already seen in other threads that some folks have killer game computers and they still can't run this sim. Telling people to "just use the mission generator" is unacceptable. My reply to that is "how about a refund for everyone for the part of the game that ISN'T working"?

And the patch situation is ridiculous. It's obvious that the game maker is more interested in releasing newer games than in fixing the problems with what is already released. You can see that by the advertising going on on this forum. Well newsflash for the manufacturer, but we WON'T be buying any more new games till you fix what is released.

I see people going all ga-ga over the graphics. Well they are nice, but to have nice graphics at the cost of proper operation isn't acceptable. I've been accused of being the "squeaky wheel" when it comes to this game. That may be true, but only because I want this game TO WORK! And it's pretty obvious that the squeaky wheel isn't getting anything accomplished. So like Phil, it's OFF my hard drive and won't be going back on until some REAL fixes come out.

Note that I am an avid fan of the Combat Mission series. I have all three of them and they work like a charm. And the graphics seem pretty decent to me.

Not as fancy as TOW:Kursk, but I also get excellent frame rates and no memory leaks. I'll take that anytime.

Dep

So you people who can't get the game to play, did you try the demo first? My puter is nothing special and while the demo runs a bit choppy sometimes its otherwise good so on the strength of that I'm buying the game. I just hope it keeps getting patched for a while because basically its great, some really good features, just needs finishing off properly. Which brings me to the infantry.

They can dance around as much as they like as long as they don't keep getting killed in unsustainable numbers. Memo to infantry: when fired upon seek cover and then return fire eg if a tree, rock or ground depression is handy use it, on your own initiative. Initial fire can inflict casualties but realistically within a few seconds their exposure should be dramatically reduced, continuing fire mainly acting as supression.

Whats this 'memory leak' business? It may help if people with problems explain the situation properly, without reverting to using meaningless phrases. Sorry I can't give helpful advice to anyone, except to try the demo before buying. As I said, nothing special about my general purpose puter, its certainly not a game monster.

So you people who can't get the game to play, did you try the demo first? My puter is nothing special and while the demo runs a bit choppy sometimes its otherwise good so on the strength of that I'm buying the game. I just hope it keeps getting patched for a while because basically its great, some really good features, just needs finishing off properly. Which brings me to the infantry.

They can dance around as much as they like as long as they don't keep getting killed in unsustainable numbers. Memo to infantry: when fired upon seek cover and then return fire eg if a tree, rock or ground depression is handy use it, on your own initiative. Initial fire can inflict casualties but realistically within a few seconds their exposure should be dramatically reduced, continuing fire mainly acting as supression.

Whats this 'memory leak' business? It may help if people with problems explain the situation properly, without reverting to using meaningless phrases. Sorry I can't give helpful advice to anyone, except to try the demo before buying. As I said, nothing special about my general purpose puter, its certainly not a game monster.

Everything you didn't know about memory leakage. And it may be meaningless to you, but those who have experienced it with other programs are well aware of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Yes, most of us tried the demo before buying the sim. If this same memory leakage problem occured in the demo, do you REALLY think we would have bought the sim?? Give us credit for a LITTLE common sense.

I hope you have better luck with the full game than many of us did. Eye candy is rather worthless when you have a slideshow instead of a smooth-running motion. Try the campaign and see how it works for you. That is where we are experiencing the memory leak problem. At least, that's the THEORY for what is wrong. At this point, since the programmers are suffering a severe case of lockjaw-and-denial, we really don't know exactly what is wrong.

Deputy et al,

I bought this game (Kursk) about a week ago. I loved TOW1 and my only beef with TOW1 was its weak Multiplayer aspect. With promise of better and more comprehensive MP, I couldn't resist buying it despite the complaints about memory leak and performance issues (low frame rate).

Well, I use a pretty high-end machine running on Vista64 and playing at 2560x1600 resolution which is the highest resolution one can possible play at.

I must say this game is great. I have not run into any issues yet. Perhaps they have already fixed some of the earlier issues and my new installation was based on latest patch. Whatever it is, I haven't seen frame drop issues and memory leak yet. I am about half way through German campaign. I hope it continues to remain stable and enjoyable.

Yes there are bugs and issues with path finding and infantry weird behavior at times but the game is head and shoulders above any WW2 RTS game that exists on this planet and I have tried good many of them.

It is possible that your issues are tied to a specific OS such as Win7 or specific anti-virus or other apps running while you play the game. Again, I have 12GB of RAM running on Vista-64 with a Nvidia GTX295 playing at 2560x1600 resolution. I will report issues if I run into them as I continue into German campaign.

Deputy et al,

I bought this game (Kursk) about a week ago. I loved TOW1 and my only beef with TOW1 was its weak Multiplayer aspect. With promise of better and more comprehensive MP, I couldn't resist buying it despite the complaints about memory leak and performance issues (low frame rate).

Well, I use a pretty high-end machine running on Vista64 and playing at 2560x1600 resolution which is the highest resolution one can possible play at.

I must say this game is great. I have not run into any issues yet. Perhaps they have already fixed some of the earlier issues and my new installation was based on latest patch. Whatever it is, I haven't seen frame drop issues and memory leak yet. I am about half way through German campaign. I hope it continues to remain stable and enjoyable.

Yes there are bugs and issues with path finding and infantry weird behavior at times but the game is head and shoulders above any WW2 RTS game that exists on this planet and I have tried good many of them.

It is possible that your issues are tied to a specific OS such as Win7 or specific anti-virus or other apps running while you play the game. Again, I have 12GB of RAM running on Vista-64 with a Nvidia GTX295 playing at 2560x1600 resolution. I will report issues if I run into them as I continue into German campaign.

For a better idea of what a lot of people are experiencing with this sim, I suggest you read this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91315

Not everyone is experiencing problems. But it's more than just a few people.

OS and hardware and background programs have all been addressed. We have people running fantastically HOT computer systems and just about every operating system you can think of including 32 bit and 64 bit and ALL unneccessary programs shut down. We have dual video cards with huge amounts of onboard RAM and enough system RAM to run the most complex games wirth ease. None of it seems to matter.

We all have different perspectives, mine is to get the detail right before anything else. Like lots of others my biggest problem is the historically inaccurate infantry casualty rate, its plainly and grossly excessive, particularly when a single enemy machine gun is involved and there are are plenty of self preservation and retalitary options available to the defenders. None of which appear to be taken advantage of in their favour if their casualty rate is a guide.

Having said that its still an intrigueing game, just keep patching it bitches :)

PS: Saying that the game is 'unplayable' is simply nonsense and not likely to get the developers favourable attention.

PS: Saying that the game is 'unplayable' is simply nonsense and not likely to get the developers favourable attention.

So you object to us being honest? How else would you describe a slideshow effect during campaign gameplay? We've given the developers detailed descriptions of the problems we encountered. And the simple fact is the campaign IS unplayable for a great number of us. And people suggesting we just play individual missions is NOT a solution. The game needs a major fix. The developers are fully aware of it. They've made suggestions for makeshift fixes and they don't work. Most of us have taken this game off our hard drives until it actually IS fixed. And after paying a large chunk of money for what appears to be a game that HASN'T gone through any beta testing, I am not very interested in being kind and cordial to the developers.

Right now most of us feel RIPPED OFF.