New file at the Repository: africa_el_guettar_23mar43.rar (2009-11-07)

An updated and improved El Guettar map. Please download this version and intall before downloading/playing the El Guettar scenario(s). The map covers the critical spot where a 10th Panzer Division armored spearhead threatened to shatter the U.S. 1st Infantry Division on 23 March, 1943. The map features the G.P. 15 highway east of El Guettar, the Wadi El Keddab, and the valley and hills near the base of Point 336. A few notes: The barbed wire line represents the start of a U.S. minefield, which ran somewhere between the wire and the wadi. Infantry tend to survive better on this map, which has plenty of covering terrain. I've also included many personal foxholes and slit trenches topped with sandbags. Enjoy! -- Broadsword

More...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am trying to get in to the file repository.

I have been there before.

I have a forum logon ID that used to also work for the repository.

I went to the Battlefront main page and my forum logon no longer worked there.

I asked for a new password, received it and was able to log onto the BF main page however still received this message when trying to reach the file repository:

http://www.battlefront.com/?mosmsg=ERROR%3A+Unauthorized+Access.

What do I need to do?

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo,

I downloaded and installed the files into my TOW2 installation and it did not work, it does not even show up on the battle or campaigns list in the game menu. The instructions included with the download were almost non existent however I have installed so many mods etc that I do not really need instructions as I have some previous experience, despite this it did not work.

Is there anything special one has to do to install this one and get it working? It sounds good and I am sure a lot of good work went into it.

Please let me know.

• 9 months later...

I made the El Guettar map and scenario, and I just wanted to apologize to those who have tried to download and play it, but weren't able to install it. It played great on my own computer. I thought I uploaded everything necessary for others to play it, but the instructions available on what files were required to make a TOW2 user scenario run, and how to upload it, were sketchy. Something must have gone wrong or gotten left out. If anyone has every succeeded in playing El Guettar, please post and tell everyone how you managed it.

I just noticed this helpful post on the Repository comments -- try these "for dummies" instructions to install El Guettar -- and please let us know if they work!

--

Aleksei 2010-05-01 11:51:10 Special for Dummies! Just copy folder "africa_el_guettar_23mar43" from archive into the |||||"||m||a||p|||||||"" folder in your TOW2-Afrika'1943 game folder. Also you may delete 5 temporarry files in the folder "africa_el_guettar_23mar43":quickloadhf.bin quickloadroughtree.bin quickloadtriangulation.bin pfsmap.bin pfswatermap.bin That's all! :)

If you play this scenario, you'll see some interesting things I scripted in:

* An awesome initial German artillery and air preparation - fun just to sit back and watch it roll in.

* A mobile German armored spearhead where the halftracks towing guns actually stop, the crews exit, they unlimber the guns and begin firing in support.

* A working US minefield belt just E of the wadi.

*Good defensive positions for the American infantry -- although it's still a big challenge to keep the infantry alive.

A piece of advice: The 10th Panzer does not want to stop and fight you; they're racing to exit the map and hit an objective way off to the NW. You don't defeat them by destroying every unit -- all you have to do to win is keep them from getting through (thus saving the rest of Patton's army).

Tactical advice: Your tank destroyers are precious, and the only thing you really have to stop the enemy. Use "shoot and scoot" tactics for your tank destroyers so they pop up, take a shot or two, and duck behind hills to new positions. It will take a lot of clicking, but a stationery unit will quickly get destroyed. As long as you have working TDs to fight with, you've got a chance.

• 4 weeks later...
I just noticed this helpful post on the Repository comments -- try these "for dummies" instructions to install El Guettar -- and please let us know if they work!

--

Aleksei 2010-05-01 11:51:10 Special for Dummies! Just copy folder "africa_el_guettar_23mar43" from archive into the ||U|||"||m||a||p|||||||"" folder in your TOW2-Afrika'1943 game folder. Also you may delete 5 temporarry files in the folder "africa_el_guettar_23mar43":quickloadhf.bin quickloadroughtree.bin quickloadtriangulation.bin pfsmap.bin pfswatermap.bin That's all! :)

Um, I'm a dummy and have copied the zipped folder to \maps directory. Still the mission doesn't appear in the BATTLES menu. What do I do wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

To pass the time until the new Combat Mission comes out, I started tinkering around with my El Guettar map and mission for TOW 2 Africa 1943. This time I have a detailed readme that spells out all the installation steps, and it should work. Please visit the repository and give this one a try.

A few screenies to whet your appetites:

scratch_one_stuka.jpg

Scratch one Stuka -- You've got one Bofors to keep those swarms of Stukas off your troops, so make good use of it!

hero_of_the_wadi-1.jpg

The Wadi Keddab was the stop-line for Patton's army. Here a GI made the ultimate sacrifice as he machinegunned the crew of a German halftrack that overran his platoon.

hand_to_hand-1.jpg

While the armor battle is raging, veteran German panzergrenadiers emerge from the smoke and assault the green American infantry in their foxholes (this one was too frightened to throw the grenades he had, cowered in suppression, then jumped up to put up a pretty good hand-to-hand fight. But the German got free, leveled his MP-40, and finished him off with one brutal burst.

bazooka_joe-1.jpg

Crippled German tanks in the wadi are easy prey for surviving US bazooka teams -- if they can shoot straight!

panzer_column_panorama.jpg

A long view of the 10th Panzer Division thundering down the valley toward the American last line of defense at El Guettar.