New file at the Repository: Nupremal World.zip (2010-03-14)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NUPREMAL -- your map is absolutely outstanding!! Congratulations on what must have been a lengthy and difficult task.

THIS is the map that should have been used (and still SHOULD be used) for this game.

Hubert: Over to you. IMHO the vanila map is the major drawback to GC.

Nupremal, great, great work! Unbelievable!

Of course i wouldn't be able to run a game with this mapsize anymore on my PC (this map is even larger than those in PDE / PT!).

@ Gorgin

Something between Nupremals and the vanilla map would have been wonderfull.

I own a intel P4 with 3ghz, 2 GB Ram and ati graphic card (850) with 256 mb ram,

this system is in no way able to play Nupremals wonderfull map at an acceptable, smooth speed, not to mention what would happen if the AI would use system ressources as well.

Huberts map works fine with my system. It would be truly wonderfull if we could get a larger map than Huberts vanilla version, which wouldn't have to be so big as Nupremals (i presume this map makes it already pretty difficult to even find your units).

Anyway, you can only praise Nupremal for his work.

Hubert, for your next release, couldn't you simply hire Nupremal to your team?

Obviously he knows what he is doing, isn't he?

I actually look forward to seeing this one as well, doesn't seem to be on the repository anymore though?

Nupremal is definitely a great talent and as for the future there might be a few more surprises from him so I am glad those that have seen his map like his work :)

Regarding his map size as mentioned before we needed something to release that was playable on most systems and while a larger map is great for multiplayer which is why I increased the maximum map size for mods such as these, there are still technical issues that wouldn't make for an optimal release if only very few systems could handle it.

Either way, the nice thing about the Global release is that mods such as these are possible and in the end it is a best of both worlds is it not? ;)

Hubert

Edit: I see the file now

My rig is pretty beefy, but it lags like crazy here too. Obviously a ton of work has been involved, and in principle me likey, but I think I prefer the important world regions being chopped into pieces (as in Al's if I am reading his readme's correctly) to facilitate smooth operation (even if that is aesthetically displeasing in a way). Antarctica for example adds nothing to gameplay here.

I think that I get what Big Al is trying to do with his map, but I have difficulty getting my head around the split version -- probably says more about my limited imagination than Big Al's ceativity.

Possibly Xwormword is right; and that something between Nupremal's superb world map and the inadequate effort published by Fury has to be the compromise that will sell to a larger audience.

But I still would love to see a fully scripted version of Nupremal's work that we could play against the AI. Nupremal, I'm prepared to BUY it from YOU.

In the past I have advance purchased every one of HC's games. But after GC, I am going to take a good look at the demo on the next one before I buy, since thus far GC has been a bit of a disappointment.

In the past I have advance purchased every one of HC's games. But after GC, I am going to take a good look at the demo on the next one before I buy, since thus far GC has been a bit of a disappointment.

I wouldn't call GC a disappointment. There are so many wonderful, and long awaited new additions in this game.

The map of GC, well, yes, there you have a point, there i stand right next to you.

But i hope and pray that Hubert won't forget us with this.

Until today he always had and open ear and open heart for the wishes of his followship.

Only if he would ignore our cries, than i would agree with you about a disapointment and the need for more caution.

Until than i will surely grant him the benefit of the doubt.

At least this much trust he has already earned himself with his SC releases.

Wow Impresive map, scrolling goes a bit jumpy in my pc, so here is the question to improve the scrolling would increasing ram memory help? I was told that win XP can't take advantage of more than two Gb and that's what I have.

As for graphic card I have an ATI EAH3870x2 with 1Gb, getting a new one just for this mod currently is not going to happen.

Would decreasing the monitor resolution speed up the scrolling?

Ok I am updating it so do a new download :)

Here is the error - actually its sort of a bug - for some reason, the rail lines from Tokyo or Hiroshima won't supply the Japanese cities of Nagasaki etc... I could not fix this!

I changed it so Nagasaki is an IC also.

Hubert - can you see why this bug occurs?

also notice the north cities start at 5, but then get to 10 after you start the game - why does that happen? It is also a bug but I can live with that one.

The loops are very important because of 2 reasons:

1 - on the Map edge it divides the Pacific, so it is necessary and also allows for the Islands to matter. You must control the island to use the loop indicated.

2 - The oceans are so large movement by sea even with my greater move rates is lengthy. The loops allow the true naval powers to transport in realistic times. It also requires control of key locations. These are also usually (but not always) supply centers. Those key ports help with movement across the greater distances, so they act as bases and so "speed up" your naval movement