New to Tow: Questions & Comments

Hello Tow Community,

I have just downloaded the latest Tow Demo, and have some questions & Comments.

When trying out 'Basic Training', I thought the Small Arms Combat was resolved rather to quickly. Basically, in a blink of an eye ( 10-15 secs ) my Ruskie Squad killed a German Squad ( with the help of the captured german HMG ) at 100 meters or so down a road. I figured it would have taken atleast a minute or two under those same circumstances ( unless it was a complete surprise ambush around 25 meters in open ).

- What is the concensus of other ToW players, do you feel the same way ?

- Is there a way to adjust values of each individual to relistically simulate small arms combat ?

- Can I decide how many men are in a unit ( squad ) and of what type ?

I know in one of the Training Excercises for example, this one Ruskie squad seems alittle wrong. The squad ended having two or three SVT-40s, and a few SMGs, one lmg, and only couple rifles. This instead of the traditional one SVT-40, two SMGs, one lmg, and five or six rifles, ( unless its an SMG squad ).

- Can I make up my own Quick Battles, Scenarios, etc ? Basically, I like to play squad vs squad, platoon vs platoon Inf, Vehicles, or combination of both ( not company size engagements ).

- What major Mods should I get for this game ?

I know tactical combat can be quick and deadly, but this is just alittle unreal. If ToW combat is going to last only a couple of minutes before a platoon worth of combat is resolved, I dont want to purchase this game ( as it should relistically last several minutes longer ).

Guess I am use to playing CMx1 after all these years, and figured on getting close to the same combat results.

Any info help would be appreciated.

Thanx, Joe

Another note regarding the Demo.

I called an Arty strike on the emplaced German Inf Squad, and in one minute took most of them out. Relistically, it would have taken several minutes to an hour worth of Arty to do half the casualties.

Basically, troops would cower for several minutes until strike was over, maybe with a couple casualties. It was designed to shake the enemy before an attack coming in the form of cautious or shaken moral.

• 2 weeks later...

_The demo tutorial for infantry combat does probably not represent the way ennemy infantry really react in the game (I suspect that for the tutorial, your infantry is much better than the attacking ennemy)

_You can create your own battles and scenario in the game.

_You can change the composition of squads and their armaments, but it requires modding the game, and you'll need some basic understanding of how it is working. Nothing impossible to master, but it requires editing several text files to alter squad composition and armament (and the game might be no longer compatible in multiplayer, unless your opponent has the same mod installed)