Multiplayer Thread - Opponent Finder

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to play Strategic Command Global Conflict Gold 1.04. Right now i prefer allied side. I am pretty experienced player (i have played the old SCET and so on) but i do not have too much experience against humans expecially not in "competitive games". I have had good opponents but i have never played any ladder games etc. But i suppose there is no ladder in Basic Scet 2 Gold, so that's the way it goes...

I cannot play very fast because i spent (too) long days in the office (work) and i have wife and two little children. But anyway i think i can make some 5 turns per week.

I am not the greatest player but i have not lost in this Gold game. I have played 6 or 7 games (started some have been very short). Some of my opponents have been as good as I (at least) but i have been little bit lucky.

I am only catching up myself :-) I forget the exact name but basically it is the Global Scenario writ large. If you go to the forum for AOD and look at the ladder stickies you can probably find exact name but it would be clear once you downloaded. Or try the free demo :-)

The opponents on there are very good. I am getting humbled ...but of course that is only because I am learning the new scenario ;-) But there are also some newer folks like you and me. On the other hand getting paired against one of the more advanced players is quite educational and improves one's 'game' rather quickly (though only in the next match :-( ).

• 1 month later...

Okay, I tried AOD, the scale of the game is a marvel and I enjoyed the game engine...but the turns take longer than I can fit into my summer in Seattle schedule. An AOD turn takes 1 hour plus, sometimes 1 1/2 hours. I had SCG down pretty good, I could knock out even a deep in the war turn in 30 to 35 minutes, an early turn in 10 to 20 minutes. But what I did like about AOD was that the victory conditions were loosened, as imo SCG has a noticeable Axis bias, and imo AOD still has this. Anyway, once an SCG player got the Axis strategy down the Axis would win about 80% of the time because even an experienced Allied player could rarely achieve the challenging victory conditions against an evenly matched Axis opponent.

So here's what I'm thinking. I can only fit two games of SCG Gold into my schedule and can do about 5 turns a week, but sometimes a couple each day on the weekend. The first person to send me an Axis, 1939 turn I'll fire back with an Axis first turn...but we use the AOD victory conditions. And here's the final part: It will be the total of the two games which really determines victory. If after the games have progressed it looks like we'll both have 1 point Axis victories then we'll figure out a tie braker, such as who has the most opponent cities under their control on X turn. The only option I can think of to activate in the game is to make sure to click alternative capitals, as a total surrender of German/Japan upon taking Berlin/Tokyo isn't fair to the Axis.

Here's to hoping someone out there still plays SCG and for a good set of mirror games.

Bob

rrweeks@comcast.net

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, I got a reply to my request for 1939 scenario, currently in the middle of a game!  If you'd like to play SCG Gold, v. 1.04 send me an e-mail, I prefer Allied side.  I'm an experienced player so can give you a run for your money.  Bob.

Anyone up for a PBEM match of Assault on Democracy (version 1.04)? I have primarily been playing the AI and one friend of mine who is no longer available. I'm probably ranked low-intermediate. Can play either side or mirror match (my prefernce)--also prfer tournament rules (those trans-oceanic loops make for some weird, ahistorical play IMHO). Anyway, e-mail me at Baker3111@verizon.net.

• 9 months later...

Hello from Finland!

I've played this game sporadically for few years and now I would like to try some PBEM. I own only the base game but I can play as the Axis or the Allies. My e-mail address is: santeri.p.leinonen@hotmail.fi. 

• 4 months later...