Version 1.01.5428 Available

Brit

Just a few changes in the past three days:

- Fixed a crash in the AI

- Fixed the 'jumping' problem with the turn-replay

- Added a PBEM option to the interface (just an early version for feedback)

The PBEM function is available through "Multiplayer Games > PBEM Games". It's just a rudimentary system. Not all the information comes across right now. I'd like to make it more user-friendly, as well, by eliminating the need to send files to each other via email.

(By the way, I'm intermittently getting validation errors with updates. I'm sorting it out.)

PS: Did you do something to the food consume calculation? I have a game running where I think the usage was around 25 pre update, and now it's 99.8 (i.e. it says -99.8 in the toolbar).

Strange. I haven't messed with that code in a while. I'll see if it's doing the same thing for me.

Just wondering if you're doing anything with the ai as we have been discussing in the other thread? Or with the bug where the units get stuck in coastal areas?

I guess this is the reason I'm obsessive about working seven days a week - so much to do and so little time. :) Seriously, though: yes. There are things I'm really itching to do, and getting the AI better and better is important. Also, could players do me a favor and mention the game on websites they visit? Getting improvements into the game depends on sales, which depends on getting people to hear about the game. It would be appreciated.

Over the last several days I've been involved in a discussion about EoS in another gaming forum. Some of the comments have been positive and some negative. Other than price, which many consider too much for a game like this, the negative comments have been about the ai. So improving the ai will get more sales imo. Also people were comparing EoS negatively to Civ. I pointed out that this wasn't a proper comparison, it should be compared to Empire Deluxe. I also posted about the current sale. Problem is most people nowadays are used to glitzy and/or complex games for that amount of money. Probably not many people even know about Empire anymore.

I've also been posting about EoS on the Empire Deluxe forum for more than a year. Mostly positive but I just haven't been able to say a lot of positive things about the ai. Some of my feelings about an Empire ai go back to my experience with Empire Enhanced. Out of the box the ai sucks. Over the last five years I've spent countless hours with the unit database and the the script to make it better and have come out with several "solo" mods. I'm not a modder and don't really want to go through anything like that again so, and I'm sorry to keep harping on it, but I see a huge potential in EoS and the ai is probably the most important thing that needs improving imo.

Duly noted.

Sometimes when I read this, it makes me want to setup a tournament in the future to pit a person against the best single AI, if for no other reason than to make me very competitive about making the best possible AI.

A friend and I have tried to start a PBEM game, with me

as the host, but when he sends his response to the first file,

I can not see it in the "load game" screen. I know that his

file is in the right directory, cause I can see it with the OS file

manager.

What is your recommendation?

I am into stragtegy games and not too interested in fast 3d action titles. EoS is the best game I came across for quite a while. And for me the graphics have a brilliant style. Regards to that! There is great potential in the game.

For me the ai is not of special importance, since I'd rather play with real opponents (and have so far never seen a above average ai in the strategy titles I experienced anyway). The ai is good for me to get to know the game and for this EoS is way smart enough.

Great news for me, that PBEM is implemented, since bigger maps will hardly be ever played live.

The major problem to recommend it to fellow players (I did convince one, though) that so far it is not playable via internet. It crashes, and crashes and chrashes. Concerning internet live play the stability has seemed to decrease in the last weeks, since before I was able to play at least till turn 100 or so. Now I am happy to play to turn 40 (speaking general). - I stoppt playing my mate since a week or so because it just does not make any sense.

Since a tournament is being planned, I hope that soon these issues will be under controle.

Looking forward.

Anton

A friend and I have tried to start a PBEM game, with me

as the host, but when he sends his response to the first file,

I can not see it in the "load game" screen. I know that his

file is in the right directory, cause I can see it with the OS file

manager.

What is your recommendation?

His file (which ended in .pbem_orders) goes into the PBEM directory. Then, you load-up your game, and it should find the game. You should see the "submitted orders" bar on the upper right with his orders submitted.

Keep in mind that this is just an early version of the PBEM system. There are some important things missing that need to be there for a real game.

The major problem to recommend it to fellow players (I did convince one, though) that so far it is not playable via internet. It crashes, and crashes and chrashes. Concerning internet live play the stability has seemed to decrease in the last weeks, since before I was able to play at least till turn 100 or so. Now I am happy to play to turn 40 (speaking general). - I stoppt playing my mate since a week or so because it just does not make any sense.

Since a tournament is being planned, I hope that soon these issues will be under controle.

Looking forward.

Anton

I jumped online and played a little bit the other day, but didn't have any problems - at least in the short game that I played. Also, if you have any save-files that consistently crash, it would be a big help. (I'd need both sides of the game: the server and client save-games.) I'll jump back online and see if I can reproduce any crashes myself.

I was unable to host a PBEM game, evidently I am misplacing files or sending the wrong

ones to the other player. Way too much work for me, I will try again once the email system

is dumbed down enough so that even moderate idiots can use it. Good luck with it, I still enjoy the game.

I am working with "bugwar".

I think it was an understanding on what to expect with the files being generated and were they go.

Why does this keep happening when I use WORD to write my comment and paste it hear and then I have to deleat the [and whats in between]:(

:mad::mad::mad:

What am I doing wrong?

Why does this keep happening when I use WORD to write my comment and paste it hear and then I have to deleat the [and whats in between]:(

:mad::mad::mad:

What am I doing wrong?

I think what's going on is that when you copy and paste, it remembers the formatting and tries to maintain the formatting inside the browser window. I'd bet that if you pasted into notepad, and then copied from notepad and pasted into the edit window that it would clear up the formatting stuff. (I sometimes use notepad as a way to strip out text formatting information.)

I think what's going on is that when you copy and paste, it remembers the formatting and tries to maintain the formatting inside the browser window. I'd bet that if you pasted into notepad, and then copied from notepad and pasted into the edit window that it would clear up the formatting stuff. (I sometimes use notepad as a way to strip out text formatting information.)

I am too old for this :P

Thanks.

Brit

Starting to play PBEM.

Now that we had gotten through the begginig its fine.

Any thought about putting a pass word that follows the files to make sure ?

I assume you mean a password to lock the files? Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about how to do this the past few days. Right now, it is way too easy for the PBEM host to peek at other player's games. That is certainly a 'must have' feature.

Also, could players do me a favor and mention the game on websites they visit? Getting improvements into the game depends on sales, which depends on getting people to hear about the game. It would be appreciated.

Thought you might be interested, I went back and updated my comments on the gaming forum where we had been discussing EoS and also on the Empire Deluxe forum with my new positive opinion of the game ai.

Thought you might be interested, I went back and updated my comments on the gaming forum where we had been discussing EoS and also on the Empire Deluxe forum with my new positive opinion of the game ai.

Thanks.

Hey There,

With this new version, when I try to start a new single player game, after I enter all the options and start, it comes up with the whole map visible, "readonly" in the upper right of the screen and a "1/2 connected" type of message in the top left (and no buttons, etc., just blank on the left hand side and top). Never played a multiplayer. I have tried 3 times with no success.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

Hey There,

With this new version, when I try to start a new single player game, after I enter all the options and start, it comes up with the whole map visible, "readonly" in the upper right of the screen and a "1/2 connected" type of message in the top left (and no buttons, etc., just blank on the left hand side and top). Never played a multiplayer. I have tried 3 times with no success.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

Strange. When a game starts, it does go briefly into a mode where you should see "(Read Only)" in the upper right and the left-side of the application is blank. But, it should quickly switch to a different state. I don't know why you would be seeing the entire map. To be clear, you didn't select "map is known", did you? And this problem happens consistently for you?