rpg's vs air support

I'm not expecting any ground to air interaction whatsoever.

Air to ground, yes, because that's rather essential. But ground to air is a whole other sim.

Certainly I would not want such RPG action as you describe because I reckon that'd get annoying real quick. A Hind overflies battlefield and suddednly I lose half my RPGs because everyone wants a go?

If there was to be AA action, I'd prefer it'd be limited to dedicated AA tools like DSHK, Stinger and 23mm cannon platforms.

Not to mention the backblast issue, if I remember correctly the muj would climb trees and stuff so as to not get their feet crisped. I don't think your average muj RPG gunner fired at helicopter targets of opportunity that often, plus actually hitting a fast moving hind with a RPG must be pretty hard, even if your "lucky" enough to have one right overhead.

RPGs can only realistically be used against hovering or landing helicopters. Because of this the Soviets got into the habit of clearing the LZ with artillery or fuel air explosives and the problem went away.

The other method would be to wait until the helicopter is 1km away and use the self destruct timer on the RPG warhead to make an airburst effect. This was only useful against unarmoured helicopters like the MI-8 and obviously required a great deal of luck.

RPGs were pretty useless when anyone tried to use them as an AA asset. (and yes I have watched Black Hawk Down :))

of course even armored choppers could be downed with rpg's... multiple shooters using air burst tactics could destroy tail and main rotors, but im sure it was rare...

What hcrof meant was that the fragments from an RPG airburst would have little effect on something as armored as a Mi-24, golden bb aside.

The only reasons RPGs were used in an AA role is if nothing else was readily available. Especially against hinds, where a direct hit from a RPG was one of the few things that would do catastrophic damage (it'll easily punch through all the armor). But a hit would be mostly a matter of luck.