Documental film about Afghanistan

Bolteg

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder why no one answered here. i downloaded this about a week ago and watched it. its not bad at all. i mean its not so much about the actual conflict but got a lot of good interviews with russian service man of that time.

so even if its not a real afghanistan docu its still worth watching i think.

Thanks for the bump, Pandur. :)

I think it's extremely rare sight - real fighting soldiers (and even officers) of Soviet Army give honest interviews to a British journalist who doesn't try to show it all as BS a la Rambo III.

I've heard about another documentary called "The Soviet Experience", also about the Afghan war, to couldn't find the full version, only 10 minutes of it. :( If anobody can share, it would be much appreciated!

That file is bit too big. But apparently i have to download it during night.

Reminds me of one book which based on interviews of Soviet soldiers who had served in there. It progressed form start of war to end of it. There probably were 1-2 soldiers for each war year interviewed in that book and they told what they did, saw and felt during that time. Which is bit unique as i'm used to read books in which you can have close to hundred interviewed and their story usually doesn't fill many pages. In this book story of individual soldier could be tens of pages.

At start soldiers were pretty confident that they were doing the right thing and their morale and motivation seemed to be pretty good. But when time progressed drop of motivation and morale was pretty visible. Last 1/3rd of the book was already pretty depressing to read.

Sadly i don't remember book's name.

too big? you got a 56k or something?

i wanted to add here that one very interesting aspect in the interviews here is the similarity to the US over there. i mean i dont know how to put it, at first they thought they serve a purpouse, also if they(the soldiers)did not see it but they thought "there must be something positive with what we are doing".

but over the years this feeling went away and they themselfs where disgusted shooting up peasants in rags.

by they time they where able to look through the state told propaganda it was more or less over.

i dont know how to put it better but the saying "if you happen to forget history you are doomed to repeat it" comes to my mind.

Thanks for posting,I had a chance to watch this last night.A documentary that really shows the sorrow of the conflict.18 months on a single outpost!!WOW!

I have much respect for the Russian soldiers as well as the civilians who form that country, but in the Afghan Soviet war, the Soviets followed a very ruthless and merciless path and their strategy was not sound.Raiding villages and leveling them with their fire power along with murdering civilians will always cause more people to rise against you.They lived by the saying 'To the man with a hammer, everything is a nail' and looked to pound everything.The General said it best when he spoke of an old Russian proverb at the end.Something along the lines of measure a thousand times, and cut once.The Soviets seemed to have miss calculated and miss measured, and it cost a lot of pain and grievance amongst their country men and women due to the death that came from the war.You could tell with the parents in Russia, that their sons were not going into a glorious(if there's such a thing) or a well justified war like that of WW2.The cause to fight in WW2 was more understood and justified at the time, even though the obedient application to get the soldiers to fight was also ruthless.The Soviet Afghan war was very much opposed by the Russian civilians much like Vietnam in America.

In my opinion, the greatest and most ferocious warrior, will not prevail if his cause is not justifiable in the peoples eyes.He will gain more enemies then allies and then inevitably fall.

It's always the same with War.Young people get hooked on glory talk and want to become as great as Achilles.When they finally see the realities of war and realize it's not fun like a rock video, and that they to are very vulnerable to death themselves at any time, then they all suffer the same depression as the millions upon millions of men who went to war before them.To go to war is to go to hell, there's no happiness in hell, it's a miserable place.So leaders must be very wise about burdening their Soldiers with this life long torture and the soldiers must be very clear on the hellish burden they are about to receive and why.Soldiers must understand it physically and mentally before they fight and join the conflict.

I stumbled across what I found to be a good documentary on the Basics of how the war played out.The individual just posted this up not to long ago.The link will bring you to part 1.Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJOBq827SH0