A free book that might be usefull

Crinius

Whow,

Thank you for finding it. I had learn about it.That book is really a master piece. As a matter of fact, quite a lot of tacticals actions applied in Afghanistan by US Forces, since its arrival, derived from the analysis (by Soviet officers) of the fighting tactics used by the Russians against the Talibans and reverse, being described in that book.

While preparing the assault on the Shahikot valley "Operation Anaconda" in 2002, Mulholland (TF DAGGER Unconventional Warfare /5th Group, Commanding Officer) had asked for two copies of that book in order to have it read by its staff.

If you have a way to have its sister book "The Other Side of the Mountain" I 'll be glad.

Can't wait to go throught it

Cheers

If you two like those, then you might want to read the thoughts of the top Russian and Warsaw Pact commanders for the period, some of whom wrote of the experiences and lessons of Afghanistan in top secret military periodicals. Here's the CIA's declassified collection link, taken from my thread "Get your Red hats here!"

http://www.foia.cia.gov/Soviet_and_W...y_Journals.asp

Regards,

John Kettler

Well Thomm,

You could just start playing "A Tactical Taliban's Assault" which is a "Wanat" style assault on a compound and see how the relief forces are being ambushed on their way in.

Ambush are ambush doesn't matter in what country. Some landscapes are better suited for it than other, but a smart fighter leader will always find the best spot for setting it.

Besides, the field of fire, for the MG and AT recoiless rifle are well sighted. The mines and IEDs always put in places to favour the blocking of the first and sometimes last vehicles, impairing the subsequent move of the surviving one. then the MG and AT recoiless rifle do their last job raking the column. 3 to 5 minutes later, all is finished, they disengage and protection elements are doing their job consisting in falling backward elements by elements while protecting the escape of the heavier elements.

All these can be duplicated in CM. The only problem already shown and spoken in earlier posts is to have the AI fire and disengage at a time being defined in the editor. Once they fire, they have a tendancy to stay in place.

In an ambush, you wait, fire and disengage immediately. You don't hang around, since this is a death warrant for you and the guys around you.

Others might have interesting views about the way to do a scenario dealing with these Afghans ambushes.

Cheers

Some landscapes are better suited for it than other

That's one thing that's got me excited about this game. Syrian terrain doesn't really push the limits of what the editor can do map-wise. Afghanistan offers the opportunity for mountain gorges, snow-covered mountain peaks, etc. -terrain we haven't really fought on before. You certainly ain't gonna be fired of from a high mountain peak in CM:Normandy! :)

For sure an Afghanistan mountainous landscape, with gorges and narrow winding road will afford the designer with quite a lot of feasable ambush sites. However don't think that Afghanistan has only that type of landscape. Some of them are more or less like the one you could find in the Normandy bocages. You have a flat expense, a straight road with culverts on either side, some rural stonewalls criss-crossing the fields full of aligned trees and other foliages. They have also undergrown pipes for water distribution (pretty handy for escaping after the ambush and to hide weapons).

To MarkEzra:

Don't forget ,the hard battle fought in july 1944 to take the Mont Castres (the highest hill in Normandy)

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, thank you so much for posting these links. I love nothing more then free reading material, especially if it's about the Afghan war, way to under-documented in my corner of America, +5!!!

I intend to go and build some CM:SF scenarios using these battles as an example right away!