I know this is dissimilar warfare and all...

akd

In the Team Info Panel of this picture, is it a Bren Gun what is shown under the Team Leader's (one star) yellow AK-74? And the Leader (two stars), does he have an AK-47? But definitely the big question you all probably have on your mind is: do the Mujs had tripods for their Brens??? :D

Another point of interest I remember hearing about the Enfield (and applies to the Bren too) is that the .303 was not only popular for it's reach, but also for it's ability to pierce Soviet body armor, even at a distance. I'm sure early in the war there probably was little else available, so the muj probably initially built up a large collection.

Another interesting bit from "The firearm blog"

"According to the book Charlie Wilson’s War, supplying .303 ammunition was initially a priority of the CIA during the 1980s. The Afghans were already armed with Lee-Enfield rifles of WWI and WWI vintage and there was greater deniability supplying then obsolete ammunition. Once the CIA gained more funding and political support they shifted thier startergy to supplying AK-47, heavy weapons and ultimately the Singer surface-to-air missile system."

Another point of interest I remember hearing about the Enfield (and applies to the Bren too) is that the .303 was not only popular for it's reach, but also for it's ability to pierce Soviet body armor, even at a distance.

Easily believable. For 20 years, my hunting rifle of choice has been an Aussie 1943 model -- I used to go stillhunting over open sights (sitting in a blind is boring, cold and too easy - you can just sit in your truck and shoot the damn deer up in the north woods, or simply run 'em over). Anyway, I dropped a buck dead in its tracks with a perfect rear shot -- the slug passed through the critter's entire body -- I don't think it ever knew what hit it. While sighting in, I also once counted a slug pass clean through 4 tree trunks -- close to 6 feet of living wood. And that was with the soft-tip Winchester rounds.

You know they don't need a magazine, they might individually reload each round.

Lee-Enfield magazines are an integral part of the rifle, not an accessory. Reloading was via charger or single rounds from the top of the action. I can't remember if the rifle will function without the magazine in place, but certainly leaving a huge gaping hole in the bottom of the rifle leading directly to the action would be a huge mistake.

For you Lee-Enfield grogs

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl04-e.htm

The history of the weapon and confirmation regarding the magazine. See last four paragraphs.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/303.htm

I close with the resurrection of the weapon for the current war in Afghanistan. News to me! We've now come full circle.

http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/Afghans-Rediscover-The-Lee-Enfield-1-22-2009.asp

Regards,

John Kettler

Speaking of Lee-Enfields, has the bolt action animation been fixed? In CM:SF the round is discharged before the shooter operates the bolt; although, this isn't much of a problem visually when it only effects the odd sniper. However, the farther we go back the more apparent it is.

Lee-Enfield magazines are an integral part of the rifle, not an accessory. Reloading was via charger or single rounds from the top of the action. I can't remember if the rifle will function without the magazine in place, but certainly leaving a huge gaping hole in the bottom of the rifle leading directly to the action would be a huge mistake.

The answer is, yes, you can top-load individual rounds and fire them without the box in place. But you're also right that there is no good reason to do so.

Translated from the Russian official website of CM:A

Mujahideen weapons:

Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III rifle.

FN FAL rifle.

G3 rifle.

Type 56 assault rifle.

M16A1 assault rifle.

AR-10 rifle.

Norinco Type 85 sniper rifle.

Bren L4 light machine gun.

RP-46 light machine gun.

KPV heavy machine gun.

FIM-92 Stinger MANPADS.

Mujahideen vehicles:

Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 hardtop and pickup trucks (technicals).

Soviet Union and Afghanistan weapons:

Makarov pistol (PM).

AK-74 assault rifle.

AKS-74 assault rifle.

AKS-74U carbine.

RPK-74 light machine gun.

PK general purpose machine gun.

Dragunov sniper rifle (SVD).

GP-25 Bonfire under barrel grenade launcher.

AGS-17 Flame automatic grenade launcher.

RPG-7 anti-tank rocket propelled grenade weapon.

NSV 12.7 mm heavy machine gun.

RGD-5 hand grenade.

RG-42 hand grenade.

F1 hand grenade.

RGO hand grenade.

RGN hand grenade.

Soviet Union and Afghanistan vehicles:

UAZ-469 4x4 jeep.

BRDM-2 armoured reconnaissance patrol vehicle.

BMP-1/BMP-1D infantry fighting vehicles.

BMP-2/BMP-2D infantry fighting vehicles.

BMD-1 airborne infantry fighting vehicle.

BMD-2 airborne infantry fighting vehicle.

BTR-60 wheeled APC.

BTR-70 wheeled APC.

BTR-80 wheeled APC.

ZU-23 towed 23 mm anti-aircraft twin autocannon.

ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" self-propelled anti-aircraft gun.

T-55/T-55M/T-55AD main battle tanks.

T-62/T-62M main battle tanks.

I don't think it's a comprehensive list: we have already seen captions at the Media Files with some versions of Ural and KAMAZ trucks.

Ali-Baba, it's still a mystery. The Stinger appears in this list of weapons: http://www.snowball.ru/afgan/?page=tech2 but we can't tell if it has actually done it into the game. The ZU-23 and the "Shilka" can be used in fire support roles, so we'll have to wait for further news about the game features. My guess is that the anti-aircraft role is not modeled as it happens in CM:SF.