Game freezing

Hi, I recently had to do a complete system restore because of a bad virus. When I got my pc back I tried playing Combat Mission and the game would freeze in the middle of play. This never happened before the infection. My drivers and everything are the same. I took it back to the store that removed the virus and they updated the graphics driver. But then I was having other problems with the new one like all the text being blank. So I took it back and had them put in the original driver dealing with the freezing issue. I am using:

256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO

DirectX 9.0c (4.09,0000.0904)

Can anyone help? I'm not very PC smart so please go easy with me.

There are actually two text display issues with ATI/AMD Radeons. One is blank text in 2D screens, which is usually worked-around by Alt-Tab'ing out of CM and then remaximizing it. The next one is blank text in the 3D game's information panels, etc. This requires a bitmap replacement to change the text to a yellow-on-black scheme that will display. Which of these problems did you have ? It's been awhile since an ATI/AMD Radeon driver did NOT have a text problem in CM.

The freezing sounds like some other problem with your system. I doubt it is caused by CM - other than to possibly heat up your CPU and video card. Do you only notice this freezing while playing CM ? Do you play any other graphically intense 3D video games ? How long does it take before the system freezes and when it does freeze is it only freeze for a few seconds or do you have to reboot the computer to continue using it ?

If the game is pausing/freezing, then you may have a piece of software loaded up that is interfering with the running of CM (it is possibly taking too many 'CPU cycles'). Another possibility is that your CPU or video card may be overheating. Do you know if there is any temperature monitoring software for your computer/motherboard ?

Did the computer store install some sort of anti-virus or other software ?

There are a few programs that can 'stress' your CPU to see if it can take running in a 'very busy state'. One of these is OCCT. Be warned though that it will stress your CPU quite a bit. A well cooled system should be able to take the stress, but a badly cooled one may overheat fairly quickly.

If you want to provide us with some more information you could run the DirectX Diagnostic and post its contents here (which will make for a large post). To run the DirectX Diagnostic (assuming you are running Windows XP), go to the Start Menu > Run > type in (without quotes) 'dxdiag' and click 'OK'. This will load up the DirectX Diagnostic. When it gets done loading, click on the button along the bottom that says 'Save All Information'. This will open up a 'Save File' dialog box and just save the file wherever you can easily find it. You can copy and paste the contents into a post here.

If you want you can also contact us at the Helpdesk: http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and 'Submit a Ticket'.

No, I am not playing any other 3D games besides CM. Freezing may happen about 5 mintues into play. The larger the game, the quicker it happens. It stays frozen and I have to reboot my computer.

No, the store did not install anything to my knowledge. Like I said though, before the whole system retore they did I never had one problem with playing CM.