tech question for cmbb

hi

i have been playing cmbb through a couple campaigns with no major problems although i still need to alt-tab to minimize the game when text doesn't show up

this seems to be different

i tried to open the game for a campaign in pbem that we are almost done with and the game starts up either with a black screen playing some music or a screen with very large text on the initial start up screen

and it sometimes says the 'game requires at least 800x600'

playing with xp system sp 3, ati radeon x1950 pro video card, intel core2 duo cpu E4600@2.4 GHz

i was thinking of just uninstalling and reinstalling but thought this may lose our pbem game

thanks

I would try deleting the 'Prefs' file first ('Combat Mission BB Prefs'). This should force you to reselect the resolution and vertical refresh rate. It will also default some of your settings for games (FOW, etc.).

Have you possibly updated video drivers or something of that nature. It's strange that you would get such behavior all of a sudden.

The PBEM files themselves are probably fine and should be backed up if you decide to reinstall. Depending on which version of the game you have (1.04 or 1.03), it might be quicker to run the 1.03 or 1.04 patch instead of a full reinstall since my guess would be an issue with the executable file rather than a BMP or WAV file (unless you have a lot of mods installed).

• 4 weeks later...

thx for the input

i bit the bullet and just uninstalled then reinstalled, now it runs fine again, other than having to do the alt-tab when text doesn't show up in boxes

probably had something change the video settings or corrupt the program

as a sidenote it seems like you don't have to 'unlicense' the software if uninstalling and reinstalling on the same computer because i accidentally didn't and it reloaded fine

thanks again

VC