PBEM question

drew345

Ok so I started my first PBEM game. I recieved the players first turn in my email. What do I do now how do I get the file from my email to the game. When I hite download it says find or save? which do I do. Then what next. Thanks for any help. I have yahoo mail if it matters.

Drew, start a PBEM game like you were the one initiating the first turn (Axis) and this will auto create the PBEM file in the Multiplayer folder. Play a one unit move and end the turn, you can later delete this file.

Now you can navigate to the multiplayer folder and see the PBEM file, this is where you will send your opponents turns.

Ok I did what you suggested. How do I find this multiplayer folder? I opened the strategic command file and there was a campaign folder a save folder and a few others I looked through all of them but couldent find a mult folder. I tryed copy and pasting the file into the one labled saved but it did not show up in the PBEM folder inside the game. What am I doing wrong? I am not very computer savy so could someone please give me step by step instructions lol I feel dumb sorry.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the right path to follow although I don't play SC1 anymore and I have given away all my games, removed all from HDs.

Did you get a message when you ended your turn that the file had been created? Even if you didn't there should still be a multiplayer folder. Try starting a Hotseat game and then end your turn and see if you can locate that file, the E-mail file folder should be close to that location.

Hi Flu,

My guess is you are probably on Vista or Windows 7 with UAC enabled, correct? If this is the case please take a look at the following link as it helps to explain where your files are ending up. Unfortunately the new Microsoft OS is very protective of where files are placed on that system and it automatically moves them to a virtual folder in this case:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

Hubert

Drew, start a PBEM game like you were the one initiating the first turn (Axis) and this will auto create the PBEM file in the Multiplayer folder. Play a one unit move and end the turn, you can later delete this file.

Now you can navigate to the multiplayer folder and see the PBEM file, this is where you will send your opponents turns.

Small correction. You only get a PBEM (no multiplayer) folder in SC1 and this will only be created when saving a PBEM turn the first time. So if anybody did not play PBEM before he will not see a folder multiplayer nor Pbem to put in the turn.

Just to add, if you navigate to your SC installation folder and then click on that 'Compatibility Files' button it should take you to where the saved game files are stored. For play by email you would be looking for a PBEM folder.

It works! Thank you very much, Hubert.

I'm ready to play, who's the next ?