Windows 7 screen resolution issue

With vista, i had both CMAK and CMBB running in a resolution that was stretched out to fill the widescreen on my laptop (1600x900).

I upgraded to Win7 and now none of the screen resolution options i'm given fill the screen but instead run with the black bars on the sides. Is there any way of forcing it to fill the screen or do i just have to live with it as it is?

CMBB and CMAK do NOT support wide-screen resolutions. They only support typical 4:3 resolutions. The closest resolution that they may support to your 1600x900 might be 1152x864, though that may not be supported by every video chipset. Otherwise 1024x768 would be the next closest resolution.

The 'stretching' to fit the screen is a function of either your monitor or possibly your video card. Some drivers have settings to stretch resolutions to fit within a fixed resolution. However the most likely scenario is that your monitor was adjusting the video. When it gets a non-native resolution it 'literally' maps it pixel-for-pixel (or close to that), which results in the black borders. A number of LCD displays will also 'stretch the pixels' which can lead to some mildly strange appearances. Some monitors do this better than others. If you're not running a laptop, you may want to check your monitor's OSD Menu to see what options there are for 'screen stretch' or whatever it may be called.

There MIGHT be some settings within Windows 7 that may affect what you're seeing though. I'm not familiar with all of them, but some of them may be in the 'Compatibility' tab when you right-click on an icon/file and select 'Properties'. I'm not sure if certain 'DPI settings' have an effect on screen stretching, etc.