Japans status

In the new global game at the start of the 39 scenerio with Germany ready to attack Poland what what will be the status of Japan will she be at war with China? How strong will Japan be in assets of military value and economic value at the start of the game.

Bo

Japan will indeed be at war with China and in terms of military and economic value we've done our best to mimic her historical situation at that time, i.e. strong enough to maintain the front with China and strong enough to expand her war as she sees fit.

However, Japan must also keep in mind that she may eventually be at war with the UK and USA as well as the fact that vital resources such as oil from the US as well as from the Dutch East Indies will not be there forever. Essentially and while Japan can be played quite openly, there is also every reason for her to be played historically as well since we've tried to replicate the external pressures on her as much as possible.

Think of it along the lines of how Germany must eventually face the USSR one way or another, Japan too must face her potential resource shortages as well as the US at some point as well. As I mentioned in another thread, playing Japan just right is a game in itself :)

Hubert

Hubert's comments are spot on, and I just want to add that Japan needs to start planning for Operation Z right from the start.

There is a fine line between investing too many resources into offensives in China, and too much in buying too many carriers and carrying out too much research. In fact, it's a good military problem that will undoubtedly bring out some interesting and innovative gameplay.

Hubert's comments are spot on, and I just want to add that Japan needs to start planning for Operation Z right from the start.

There is a fine line between investing too many resources into offensives in China, and too much in buying too many carriers and carrying out too much research. In fact, it's a good military problem that will undoubtedly bring out some interesting and innovative gameplay.

Thank you Bill 101, the reason for my question is because in the SC Pacific game Japan in my opinion starts out in a large hole, Her armed forces have poor mobility, her army units are poorly armed [so are emeny units] and the naval assets and airforce need an overhaul [imo] The game of course starts on Dec 7th 1941, will Japan have better assets in 1941 in the global game because the game starts in sept 1939 [just a guess] with of course careful planning and available funds as you say Bill and careful allocations of available funds.? I believe and could be wrong, Japan should not even try to take on China until she has weapons 2 mobility 2, stronger planes and leaders.

Bo

The way I invision playing Japan is multiply your starting MPPs per turn by the number of turns you expect to only be at war with China. Modify this total by the other resources you plan on occupying before being at war with another major, the major, USA. Now you have an approximate pool of MPPs you can use for investing, procurements, diplomacy, reinforcements, etc.:cool:

Make your plan and allocate your present and future MPPs appropriately for resolution of your timetables and Hope....yeah that's a big HOPE.. that the enemy doesn't upset your "best laid plans" until you're able to cope with his counters.:rolleyes:

Easy....?? Right!:P

:rolleyes:

The way I invision playing Japan is multiply your starting MPPs per turn by the number of turns you expect to only be at war with China. Modify this total by the other resources you plan on occupying before being at war with another major, the major, USA. Now you have an approximate pool of MPPs you can use for investing, procurements, diplomacy, reinforcements, etc.:cool:

Make your plan and allocate your present and future MPPs appropriately for resolution of your timetables and Hope....yeah that's a big HOPE.. that the enemy doesn't upset your "best laid plans" until you're able to cope with his counters.:rolleyes:

Easy....?? Right!:P

Good lord SeaMonkey I just want to move counters around, do I actually have to think about things like number of turns etc. and future moves, and allocating funds, oh what happened to Panzer general please bring it back:rolleyes:

Bo

bowenw Panzer General was a tactical game with strategic implications.This game is Grand Strategy game so you will have to plan WAY ahead as far as allocating and using your mpps(especially if your mpp starved like Japan).Cant compare the two.

I agree,:rolleyes: it was well lets see "tongue in cheek:rolleyes:

Please call me by my name that has given so much affection on this forum [bo]

Bo

Bo....want to turn back the clock a bit? You have to challenge your mental faculties just like your physical ones. You must read, contemplate, imagine, deduce and hypothesize....among others, to keep that brain of yours sharp.......well at least capable of cutting butter like mine.;)

Constant mental exercise with games like SC will help. Let's face it, games like PG were good, but time doesn't standstill, now move along, nothing to see in PG, the future is SC.:)

:rolleyes:

Good lord SeaMonkey I just want to move counters around, do I actually have to think about things like number of turns etc. and future moves, and allocating funds, oh what happened to Panzer general please bring it back:rolleyes:

Bo

Don't worry Bo, although SeaMonkey has definitely got the right attitude towards planning Japan's war, I've not had to sit there playing Japan with a calculator in one hand! :)

But a little thought is definitely required, perhaps the most long term planning that we've yet seen in the SC series. Yet just keeping in mind that in 2-3 years Japan will find herself at war with the UK and USA will help you significantly in making the right decisions.

I cannot really say whether or not Japan will necessarily be stronger in 1941 than historically, because to a significant degree that will be of your own making, and we all have the benefit of hindsight which the Japanese (and everyone else!) lacked in 1939. As a result we probably have significantly more options available to us, so in that respect Japan will be stronger, and the actual outcome will probably vary quite considerably from game to game.

Bo....want to turn back the clock a bit? You have to challenge your mental faculties just like your physical ones. You must read, contemplate, imagine, deduce and hypothesize....among others, to keep that brain of yours sharp.......well at least capable of cutting butter like mine.;)

Constant mental exercise with games like SC will help. Let's face it, games like PG were good, but time doesn't standstill, now move along, nothing to see in PG, the future is SC.:)

Mental faculties nice SeaMonkey you know nothing about my mental faculties, I had an eeg 3 years ago and my doctor said theres nothing there, now I am sure he meant I had no problems with the brain but now I am not sure what he meant:confused:you people are showing your age[too young] not understandong my tongue in cheek comment on PG! Read, contemplate, imagine, deduce, and hypothesize wow do you do all that, when I get stuck and befuddled I just turn fog of war off and then I deduce.:D

Bo

Don't worry Bo, although SeaMonkey has definitely got the right attitude towards planning Japan's war, I've not had to sit there playing Japan with a calculator in one hand! :)

But a little thought is definitely required, perhaps the most long term planning that we've yet seen in the SC series. Yet just keeping in mind that in 2-3 years Japan will find herself at war with the UK and USA will help you significantly in making the right decisions.

I cannot really say whether or not Japan will necessarily be stronger in 1941 than historically, because to a significant degree that will be of your own making, and we all have the benefit of hindsight which the Japanese (and everyone else!) lacked in 1939. As a result we probably have significantly more options available to us, so in that respect Japan will be stronger, and the actual outcome will probably vary quite considerably from game to game.

Right as always Bill101, I agree, What I was hoping to do with the game starting in 1939 was to get my carrier and carrier planes up to snuff [seamonkey wont understand snuff hes to young] by using research if enough funds are available, in the original Pacific game even though no one is overly powerful, I feel that all the Japanese forces are short of good weapons to take on the USA and the UK in 1942, I was hoping the year 1940 would allow me to bring the armed forces to a readiness that could compete with the allies [probably wrong] not too concerned about China if I could hold them at bay in 1940 while I am building my carriers up that would be fine with me. Does anyone have a foolproof plan for a Japanese victory in the pacific:confused:or at least a reasonable retreat to the home islands:rolleyes: or even a stalemate with the allies.

Bo

Bo.... you are really getting to be one of my favorite characters.....I mean how can you not have amicable thoughts for anyone that refers to myself as "young". Hey JJ, you better get in here and get some of this......we found someone older than us.:)

As far as Japan, using the PT platform, read my comments in the PT thread about the 1.03 AI. That strategy does pretty well against a human opponent also. Whether you will see that success in GC remains to be determined, but overall, a fast expansion followed by a coordinated pullback at the right times does the job.

Bo.... you are really getting to be one of my favorite characters.....I mean how can you not have amicable thoughts for anyone that refers to myself as "young". Hey JJ, you better get in here and get some of this......we found someone older than us.:)

As far as Japan, using the PT platform, read my comments in the PT thread about the 1.03 AI. That strategy does pretty well against a human opponent also. Whether you will see that success in GC remains to be determined, but overall, a fast expansion followed by a coordinated pullback at the right times does the job.

Pull back? SeaMonkey you are getting on my last nerve with that comment, I want the Japanese forces to destroy that sanctuary city of San Francisco so that no illegal immigrants can ever go there in the future:D

Bo