Version 1.01.2459 Available

Brit

Notable Fixes and Changes:

- Fixed bug: Sometimes the city-build window wouldn't appear, causing player to think the game locked up

- Added Borders

- - Borders are created automatically, based on cities and resources

- - The AI gets irritated if you violate his borders

- Fixed a crash during turn-processing

- Fixed a lockup during turn-processing

- Adjusted some things on the MapEditor interface to make changing from map to scenario more obvious

- Aircraft can be given more complex (move to, land, move to, land) orders

- Added 'sentry for five turns'

- Units which are set to 'sentry until repaired' will not attack enemies based on field-orders

- UnitGroups can be given orders to 'sentry until repaired' (until all units inside the group are repaired)

- Repairs cost iron. The iron cost is equivalent to the original iron cost (e.g. a ship at 50% damage will require 50% of the iron that it cost to build it originally).

- Fixed bug: AI was not accepting trade agreements

Have a good New Year!

Nice improvements!

Quick question, if I want to install this on 2 PC's (at the same residence) will I need to purchase 2 copies or is it a site license?

With one purchase, you should be able to install on two computers at the same time.

Darnation, I ran off to get the new update and hey presto...

Five minutes into a new game with borders and unfortuately EOS decided to lock up after the first capture of a city.

Although the city build UI popped up happily the game then just froze solid and won't allow me to do anything, can't add a build order, can't close the window. Judging by the proximity of "red border guy" to this city it could be something to do with overlapping/conflicting borders. I sure haven't seen a lock up at this point before, so I'm going to blame Brit's hard work :rolleyes:

The EOS.exe process isn't even using any processor time apart from the regular <1% blip by CPU to see if it needs to do anything with it.

EOS%20lock%20up%20small.jpg

High resolution version

Maybe it's a once off, maybe I just wanted an excuse to post on the first of the year, maybe it's time to head for sleep land and try it again in the morning.

p.s. Happy new year a'body

Yech, borders are interesting and I'm sure they are going to be significant in the mid/late game. But in the early game they are a right royal pain as it makes it all but impossible to explore the map, without crossing someone's border especially if it wasn't their border/didn't know it was a border when you send a unit into that dark bit of territory.

It's not even turn 50, I've barely explored the map and already one of the AI's actively dislikes me, while two of the others are viewing me with dark suspicion. Since it's impossible to find and grab unclaimed resources without exploring it becomes a no-win situation.

Especially when the trading with AI's seems to be utterly broken, I can't try and buy their resources, or sell them resources or even give them gifts to make up for my inevitable border violations since they completely ignore any trading messages I send them.

~~For the first time EVER, Zukhov the AI who was at 34% relations owing to my frequent and inevitable crossing of his border (I have a unit deep in what became his territory which is taking a while to extract) actually accepted my "here have 100 iron bribe" and is neutral again. I'm astounded by this since in the dozens of games I've played up till this point AI's alway ignore my generous trade offers~~

Three possible solutions :-

Designate L1 units as non threatening, especially Zeppelins and transports so they don't cause a violation

Introduce some kind of spy/explorer unit

Or my favoured solution - Stop the AI's noticing and whining about border violations they don't have anything in place to detect. Unless there is a city or unit in view range my border violation should not be spotted. Radar technology will then become even more useful.

~Edit~

Joy unconfined, apparently the AI can violate my borders any time it wants and I don't have a way of sending "get out of my territory or else" messages. I love these one-sided conversations. Here I am trying to delicately thread my units between border lines to avoid or mitigate violations (which means instead of just sending out a random spiderweb walk, I now have to make a direction decision every turn) and De Gaulle sends a transport loaded with infantry and artillery through my borders to reach a so far unclaimed (even though I had my eye on it) city at the other side. :(

Fourth solution :-

If a unit continues to remain inside my borders I ought to be able to attack it without it ending up in a declaration of war.

De Gaulle currently has a destroyer parked blatantly inside my borders just off one of my cities. So the Artillery unit that is about to arrive in aforementioned city should be able to launch at least a warning shot across the bows to chase the destroyer away :)

P.s. Trading with the AIs now mysteriously works, even though there was nothing in the change log about it being fixed.

You guessed it another border issue.

One of my AIs repeatedly claims I am violating his borders, when all indications are I have no units anywhere even close to one of his borders. As a matter of fact to get to most of his borders I would have to cross another AI border first.

How about some sort of "go to unit that caused violation" button, pretty please

I lurv the border rules. Yes they can be improved, but I can live with their restrictions, even as they exist now. They add a lot of charm to the game. Keep up the good work, every update seems to be an improvement over the previous, and that is always a good thing.

Darnation, I ran off to get the new update and hey presto...

Five minutes into a new game with borders and unfortuately EOS decided to lock up after the first capture of a city.

Although the city build UI popped up happily the game then just froze solid and won't allow me to do anything, can't add a build order, can't close the window. Judging by the proximity of "red border guy" to this city it could be something to do with overlapping/conflicting borders. I sure haven't seen a lock up at this point before, so I'm going to blame Brit's hard work :rolleyes:

Hm. This shouldn't have anything to do with the borders.

One of my AIs repeatedly claims I am violating his borders, when all indications are I have no units anywhere even close to one of his borders. As a matter of fact to get to most of his borders I would have to cross another AI border first.

Do you have a saved copy of the game I could look at?

De Gaulle currently has a destroyer parked blatantly inside my borders just off one of my cities. So the Artillery unit that is about to arrive in aforementioned city should be able to launch at least a warning shot across the bows to chase the destroyer away :)

Yeah, I created the borders mainly to stop the exploit that allowed players to buildup units on enemy islands before attacking them. The AI should be changed to respect other people's borders as well.

Do you have a saved copy of the game I could look at?

Heh, even highly compressed Battlefront.com does not think much of my attempts to upload a 5 meg zip file.

But I do have a copy of it and a copy of the game where I had a mysterious "zombie artillery unit" bug which I reported.

So drop me a PM or Email with a return address and I can shoot them both off to you.

P.S. I do love the borders feature but I do find the "you violated me" plus "I like our continued peace" messages from the same AI opponnent on the same turn highly ironic when it has naval units sitting within spotting distance of one of my cities ;)

Heh, even highly compressed Battlefront.com does not think much of my attempts to upload a 5 meg zip file.

But I do have a copy of it and a copy of the game where I had a mysterious "zombie artillery unit" bug which I reported.

So drop me a PM or Email with a return address and I can shoot them both off to you.

P.S. I do love the borders feature but I do find the "you violated me" plus "I like our continued peace" messages from the same AI opponnent on the same turn highly ironic when it has naval units sitting within spotting distance of one of my cities ;)

Okay. I sent you a private message with my email.

Okay. When the AI complains about a border-violation, his message now contains a selectable list of units that have violated his border. (Clicking on individual units in his email will select the unit on the map.) I also turned-off border violations for aircraft. Normally, aircraft can't trigger border violations because at the start of each turn, they are landed in an airbase (not inside the enemy territory), but Zeppelins don't land each turn, meaning that they might be inside enemy territory at the start of a new turn.

These changes will be available in the next update.

You're right. I found a rounding error in the code. I fixed it for the next version, but I *think* this issue only happens if: you are not in the player #1 slot, and one of your units are very close to a national boundary (your own border or someone else's). In those cases, it can wind up thinking that your unit is on someone's territory (and it might not even be the person's boundary you are crossing). Example: you are player #3, your unit ends it's turn on your own boundary, and suddenly, player #1 or player #2 complains about your units in their territory.

I guess there's one other situation that also comes up - if you are playing as Player #1, and your unit ends it's turn on the boundary of Player #3, it might erroneously detect that you are in Player #2's territory. (The issue here is that the transition from unowned territory to Player #3's territory gets rounded to Player #1's or Player #2 territory.)

I have to say that on balance the borders are a really positive introduction and again pays tribute to Brits responsiveness to suggestions. It just feels more realistic than before when you could basically have one of your units wandering round another countries sovereign territory. A real improvement in my opinion. If you want to find out what is going on in another country you have to invest in plane techology to do so which seems sound. The AI still seems rather sluggish (I am on turn 188 on the world map and none of the AI players has declared war for ages) and doesnt seem to invest in some of the technologies (fisheries, etc) which it now needs being subject to the same restrictions in terms of food, oil and steel as the human players (this was another good improvement as previously the AI was able to build huge armies at no maintainance cost making the game one of rather dull attrition). The AI also doesnt seem to build the improvements in cities such as robot factories which gives the human player a real edge. However, overall, this is a really enjoyable game which is just getting better and better with every improvement.

and one of your units are very close to a national boundary (your own border or someone else's). In those cases, it can wind up thinking that your unit is on someone's territory (and it might not even be the person's boundary you are crossing)

This is definitely the kind of thing I've been noticing as I've been watching like a hawk every time I get one of those messages. It certainly appears to happen when one of my units is crossing my own boundary or sometimes within a milimetre or two of As boundary but I get a violation message from B. Once I pick up the new version with it's goto link, this should become easier to detect.