Technical Issues

Just bought CMBO on GamersGate, when I opened it up, it worked fine, other than the fact that I couldn't see any of the text (all white boxes). I followed the recommendations but could not turn off the anti-aliasing. I then went ahead and downloaded the 1.12 patch, but now it is telling me that I need a CD in the drive. Anything I can do?

You do not need the 1.12 patch. The Gamersgate version you downloaded was already patched to 1.12. The 1.12 patch you installed used a different form of copy-protection (requiring the CD) than the Gamersgate version (which uses a license key). You will probably want to reinstall the Gamersgate version again.

The problem you're seeing is probably the Radeon Text issue (I assume you may have a Radeon video card). There is a workaround, but it is not perfect. This Knowledgebase article with the Radeon_Text_Fix.zip file is what you'll need to read. Download the file (the link to the download in the article is not too clear) and extract it. There should be a folder in there for 'Beyond Overlord' and instructions in a 'readme.txt' file. You will be copying three files, I believe they are '30000.bmp', '30001.bmp' and '30002.bmp', to the BMP folder of your CMBO installation. This will overwrite/replace the original files. The text in game will now look like yellow on black, but it should be legible now. However the Save Game dialog box where you type in the name of the file to save will probably have thin, vertical, black boxes instead of text (so you'll have to type VERY CAREFULLY).

Yeah, unfortunately, I didn't download the patch from the Battlefront section, which would have informed me of that, ugh. Anyways, yes, I have an ATI Radeon card, and I'll try what you recommend, although I don't think that the save games thing will be much of a concern for me: I'm not really playing many of the scenarios, normally just quick missions and never bother to save them.

Thanks for the help though... I'll let ya know if it works.