Wrong steering system

Centauro

The GUI lacks a steering wheel position indicator, and steering itself is wrongly modeled.

I mean, when you turn the wheel in a boat, you have to re-center it or she will continue to change her route. Actually, if you press A or D, the helm re-center itself. It is counterintuitive.

We should have a helm position indicator and a realistic steering. Ah, and a nicer ingame GUI for commands, ammo, damages and crew. Actually, it is very ugly.

If this game is as moddable as others with similar engines (Pirates of the Caribbean, City of Abandoned Ships etc), don't fret, we can easily add realistic-styled steering that requires counter-rudder.

We will bring this up with Akella and see what their response is. There may be some 'conveniences that sacrifice realism' that made Akella go with the current steering system.

I'm running a little "Builders' Trials" project that reviews shiphanding on a case by case basis for a Pirates of the Caribbean community expansion. Part of my dissatisfaction is the unrealistic steering. Does a real life captain need to mash down the A key for 5 minutes to turn a galleon? No. Do ships suddenly sail in reverse when they change tack? Obviously not! So realism helps gameplay, not hinders.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is the result:

"Kriegsfischkutter"

Now now, I know what you're thinking, this ain't no advertisement, I'm a plain jane civilian who is adding realistic ship inertia to 170+ ships in 1 month for POTC: New Horizon's next release.

If that game uses the Storm engine and this one uses just a more advanced version of it, I just need to get my claws on the relevant code.

But first, I need to get this game first... I want it so much!