Holiday Bones, Norman Style

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too remeber playing the early, was it the alpha, game.

Crossing the frozen river twenty different times. ;)

I still have the litho of the tiger that was sent to the first pre-orderers.

Battlefront, you guys have come a long way. Thanks for the hours (more like years) of enjoyment.

I haven't played shock force so I am unaware if you can take cover behind a roadblock.

Will a roadblock in CM Normandy be equivalent to being behind a rock wall?

I haven't played shock force so I am unaware if you can take cover behind a roadblock.

Will a roadblock in CM Normandy be equivalent to being behind a rock wall?

Almost certainly yes; there is not a "roadblock" terrain feature per se in CMSF, but the scenario designer could make one out of the concrete highway barriers that are included in the game, and they would provide appropriate cover. So I think it's reasonable to assume that any "Roadblock" in CM:N will work similarly as far as cover goes.

As for a game title -- why not Combat Mission: ETO? It would encompass Arnhem, Bulge...

Can't wait for this one!

I think it would need to be a name more accessible to Joe Public. Also, it may be worth having a title that serves as a reminder that this was a fun war, unlike the sucky wars we get these days.

Combat Mission: Liberation Europe would be far more positive and descriptive.

Don't we? Not in front of game now, but doesn't the first US Army campaign mission have those barriers in the middle of the wide road on the left?

Yeah, those. Around here we call them "Jersey Barriers." Functionally, I think they are identical to a low wall (i.e., the "Jersey Barrier" depiction is just a skin). But they make a perfectly serviceable roadblock, and most definitely provide good cover.

If you wanted a lighter barrier, you could also make one out of oil barrels or whatever.

For CM:N, it might be nice to see a "roadblock" made out of felled large tree trunks er sumfink.

Thanks all! More info will come more regularly as we start to nail down specifics and artwork. We will, however, only scratch the surface of the new stuff going into CM: Normandy. Until the game is out, that is!

We didn't include Jersey Barriers in CM:SF because we couldn't find widespread evidence of their use by the Syrians. After occupation they would be everywhere, but that's not what CM:SF simulates directly.

For Normandy we will have roadblocks, but obviously not Jersey Barriers :D

Steve

"We didn't include Jersey Barriers in CM:SF because we couldn't find widespread evidence of their use by the Syrians."

Yeh, EVERYBODY (including me) tended to conflate the game's Syrian invasion backstory with the real-world Iraq occupation. Even to the point of requesting huge Bremmer walls to fortify neighborhoods(!) - which the Syrians would never ever have in place. The game's a couple years old and people are starting to conflate the game with Afghanistan now, which again is like comparing apples and oranges. If the title timeframe was three years instead of three months then all of the Iraq/Afghanistan-based suggestions would no doubt be entirely appropriate.

I wonder how the current conflicts will affect the view of the Normandy title. Especially with regard to casualty rates. WWII casualty rates would be considered horrific these days. Unit casualty rates of 150%+? Imagine the uproar.

We had no REAL idea how the testers would react to CM: Normandy in its current state. Sure, we figured they would enjoy the new setting and have fun playing with the new features. We would have been perfectly happy with that since all current testers are grizzled testing veterans. So imagine our smiles when we actually got huge, positive emotional reactions to all kinds of stuff! We weren't expecting half the reaction we got. That's a good sign that the basics are already in place for exactly the game you guys expect from us.

Hmm, inference is a weird tool......

I take it these are mostly the same testers that have 'loved' everything you have put out so far. And of course the same testers that are quick to shout down a naysayer on these boards if they dont like the game.

Ive come to understand that these testers may not be the best set of guys to actually give you good feedback...... Of course maybe everything is rosey in the land of CM....

What I fund more interesting in your post however is this:

NATO has been on hold for the last few months as we have been focused on CM: Normandy and CM: Afghanistan.

This is indeed something new to me as you have always stated that the great beauty of cm-2 was that you can work concurrently on many projects. What your saying now is that you obviously cant and a Module has been sacrificed for a game, or 2 games.

I get the feeling from what you say that you might not even know yourself whats going on? Far too many contradictory statements have been made regarding the CM-2 family of games. Now NATO may not be out for another six months?

So far everything seems to be taking at least twice as long as your stating. Your postponing and almost abandoning CMSF content to play catch up on CMN and CMAfg. When the NATO module appears it will more than likely have been a year from the UK module, which was a year from the Marines. Im not even sure you should complete the NATO one to be honest as I dont think anyone will want it after CMN arrives. In fact, if CMN IS as good as the testers say it is, I predict that no one will want to play with CMSF as it will be redundant because of the new features added to CMN.

any chance in the future that CMSF will be converted to Mac OS X?

Have a look at some earlier posts I made.

I continue to lobby from "inside the tent".

Steve has given an "in principle" agreement but that's not to say I've seen any product yet.

Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Hmm, inference is a weird tool......

I take it these are mostly the same testers that have 'loved' everything you have put out so far. And of course the same testers that are quick to shout down a naysayer on these boards if they dont like the game.

Ive come to understand that these testers may not be the best set of guys to actually give you good feedback...... Of course maybe everything is rosey in the land of CM....

You have no idea of the discussions that go on, so don't ascribe me a position.

Thanks.

@ Battlefront (Steve):

GSX pointed out one opinion, which has to be read seriously. I think he is right, when he writes, that the NATO-Modul will sell better, if it will be released before the Normandy-Module.

Many here see the modern scenarios only as a pausing-stuff, before the real battles of WWII can be fought. Before i learned to love CMSF (after some patches came out with Marines and Britain), i had the same opinion. ;)

To stop the NATO-Modul for a while to develop also a Afghanistan-Modul really wondered me. Maybe i´m wrong, but i think, there are many more people out there, who want to play the German, Canadian and Dutch armies than the Russians. :confused:

Greets, MARS42

P.S. Great screenshots! :)

@ Battlefront (Steve):

Maybe i´m wrong, but i think, there are many more people out there, who want to play the German, Canadian and Dutch armies than the Russians. :confused:

Greets, MARS42

P.S. Great screenshots! :)

Unless, of course, you happen to be Russian which is the primary target audience for CM:Afghanistan with most of the work being done by a Russian development team.

English and other language sales will only be a bonus.

This is indeed something new to me as you have always stated that the great beauty of cm-2 was that you can work concurrently on many projects. What your saying now is that you obviously cant and a Module has been sacrificed for a game, or 2 games.

I think you have to remember that CM:A is the first time? that BF.C has licensed out a CM engine. So it's important that BF.C shows that they are serious about 3rd party CM games, and are willing to support them. Even if that means pushing back NATO.

I get the feeling from what you say that you might not even know yourself whats going on? Far too many contradictory statements have been made regarding the CM-2 family of games. Now NATO may not be out for another six months?

IIRC its been known for quite a while now that NATO and Normandy where going to be released fairly close together.