IDF vs NATO

BloodCat

About half-announced NATO module: don't you think it will be kinda boring? I mean, it won't implement any new tactics, just some units without any major differences. And it would be very hard to make a new sensible campaign, I think. Wouldn't it be much more interesting to switch attention to Israel Defense Forces? Syria and uncons look like perfect opponents, IDF has much more combat experience than any NATO army, they differ in tactics and equipment... so, why NATO and not IDF?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, 20-30 brand new scenarios, three entirely different armies, different northern Syria geography, a new campaign or two, perhaps expanded Syrian forces, plus game engine upgrades... that's just nothin'. Boring boring boring.

Why is IDF any more interesting than the Canadian army (that's what I want most to see in the NATO module)? The one significant difference I can think of is Canada works worldwide as UN peacekeeps while Israel has a habit of bombing UN peacekeepers. 'Accidentally' of course, always accidentally.

The one significant difference I can think of is Canada works worldwide as UN peacekeeps while Israel has a habit of bombing UN peacekeepers. 'Accidentally' of course, always accidentally.

Wow Mike, this seems like an almost visceral reaction from you. Anyone mentions the IDF and you immediately pounce :) Agree with Sergei though, only difference between IDF and other western armies, in CMSF terms, is the different equipment. And other than my own personal experience, I can't really see why, e.g. the Leo is less interesting than the Merkava, etc. Anyway, this has been hashed again and again. BF aren't gonna do it, so no use in asking.

Will we see different terrain too? Would be nice if each module introduced some new textures for buildings and world objects. Nothing of gameplay signifcance so a map would be useful to people without the modules, just striped of the extra textures/doodads. No matter how cool vehicles are, game world still looks a bit "clinical" ;)

different northern Syria geography

Mountains?..

Israel has a habit of bombing UN peacekeepers. 'Accidentally' of course, always accidentally.

Yep, in cases like enemy mortars firing from UN hospital roof, etc. Wouldn't you call in CAS in such situation?

BF aren't gonna do it, so no use in asking.

Disappointing, but thanks for straight answer.

That made me raise my eyebrow, man.

I meant all the Arab-Israeli wars.

If it wasn't you, somebody else would've done the same.

However, I'm mildly baffled by this IDF hatred. Not high on my list of groups I respect, either. But my goodness, must such a big deal be made?! In a few months time I'll be operating SS Tiger tanks and nobody will think anything of it.

Won't get into the why's and wherefores.

If it wasn't you, somebody else would've done the same.

However, I'm mildly baffled by this IDF hatred. Not high on my list of groups I respect, either. But my goodness, must such a big deal be made?! In a few months time I'll be operating SS Tiger tanks and nobody will think anything of it.

Villains are like wine. They get more popular as time goes by.

I'm not sure why I see the haterd towards the IDF. Mistakes and collateral damage happen all the time in conflicts, even more so when you are fighting an enemy that is heavily mixed in with the population.

As you are a wargamer you'd have to admire the tactics and equipment the IDF has. The wargamers side of me says, I'd love to be in command of an IDF company level team.

This is a wargame, not real life politics. I would like to see the IDF included as they are a natural opponent for the Syrians and their inclusiion would allow for otherMiddle Eastern nations in a near future setting (eg Egypt, Jordan, perhaps even Iran/Iraq) even if you limit it to a hypothetical Arab Israeli war scenario. Merkavas versus Egyptian owned M1A1s in the Sinai would be fascinating and quite evenly matched battle. You could even have US intervention options.

Gaming the conflict might help educate people in regard to the military problems the IDF must face in the real world situation and thereby generate a more informed understanding of the situation.

Luke

The short answer is...I despise them, tactics and attitude.

Wow, bro... How about a long answer? IMO, Tzahal is very efficient force. What's wrong?

The IDF would be interesting, from the point of view of MBT-class APCs etc. but it is such a current political hot potato that BFC don't want to go there.

Ah, that's the reason. Silly.