Re-introducing the Forum and Game Veterans

Now I think you have ME confused, Bo. :confused:

That's the problem sometimes with email, so easy to be misunderstood sometimes, although I'm sure I understood you the first time.

No cunfusion about Jolly Joe though. I haven't heard him on AM radio in awhile, although I suspect he's still there (it's his station after all). I always liked his Polka/German show on Sunday. Thanks for reminding me about that, I'll have to tune in to him again soon. :D

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy all,

Like many gamers here I cut my teeth on AH games in the late 70's. I loved the SSI games and eventually stumbled on SC as a downloadable demo and I've been hooked ever since.

I live in Floyd County which is in SW Virginia and have been a huge Civil War buff for years having grown up here. I am a prior service Marine and now serve in the VAARNG.

I work for the local school system doing computer work and it is really nice since my commute is less than a mile :) To check out Floyd look up Mabry's Mill or the Blue Ridge Parkway and you'll get a good idea of what it is like around here.

Finally I think I have the worst winning percentage of any of the SC players all time! Just ask anyone I've played - I'll get them next time though ;)

Baron,

Thanks for the background on yourself. I was a fan of the SSI games myself (particularly the PG ones), and was looking for similar games when I came across this one by accident.

Many people have been coming to the forum recently with the coming release.

I would greatly encourage all those newbies (and others coming back after leaving for awhile) to check out the preceding pages of this thread to see some background info on all who have provided some info on themselves here.

It's a great way to find out more about the posters, what they may like (and don't like), and enjoy some of things we may similarly share. It makes the forum more enjoyable for all. It's why I like to keep this thread alive for those just arriving on the scene.

:cool:

Howdy all,

Like many gamers here I cut my teeth on AH games in the late 70's. I loved the SSI games and eventually stumbled on SC as a downloadable demo and I've been hooked ever since.

I live in Floyd County which is in SW Virginia and have been a huge Civil War buff for years having grown up here. I am a prior service Marine and now serve in the VAARNG.

I work for the local school system doing computer work and it is really nice since my commute is less than a mile :) To check out Floyd look up Mabry's Mill or the Blue Ridge Parkway and you'll get a good idea of what it is like around here.

Finally I think I have the worst winning percentage of any of the SC players all time! Just ask anyone I've played - I'll get them next time though ;)

Hi Baron welcome, do you remember a civil war computer game called Shiloh?

Graphics not too good but I was just getting into computer war gamming and I wanted to be a great civil war general but boy did I get deflated, nobody obeyed my orders my units went in different directions and got mauled, I was worse than Burnside if thats possible. This started me in reading about the civil war in detail and when I read the battle of Shiloh I found out that Grants messages not only were garbled by the time they got to his subordinates but a lot of messages never got to them, I felt vindicated by this on my poor play but as the years went on I found out I just played poor in all games:D

Bo

Bowenw,

If you mean the Talson Software or Matrix redo then the answer is yes. I'm thrashing a Yank on the field at Praire Grove (which is a scenario of Shiloh) right now. I've been away from the titles for awhile though so I feel fortunate to be winning it. I win as much in those games as I do at SC2 and variants ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VonRocko,

Greetings to a fellow Lehigh Valley forum poster! I'm actually located in Hellertown, just south of Bethlehem. Definitely feels like May out there, I think we hit 74 degrees today. :D

EE,

I don't know about Alberta, but there are plenty of Canadians lurking around here, so you're not really alone. Incidentally, I have a few cousins up in the Calgary area. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I see people introduce themselfs here so I cant be left behind.

I'm Bram, I'm 30 years old and I'm from the Netherlands.

I'm married and we have 2 sons (16 months and 2 months old).

I'm a cop since 3 years and before I became a cop I served 9 years in the Dutch army as a recon infantryman.

Game experience:

shooters (WWII and modern)

WoW (I still play)

and some strategy games like Blitzkrieg, sudden strike ect.

I was looking for a game like Strategic Command and I must say it is a great game. I even believe that it is the PC version of the Axis and Allies board game?

Greetings

Bram,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for the snapshot of yourself.

Perhaps you can offer your historical view of WWII from the Dutch perspective. Sounds like you have your hands full at home with the two wee ones, I'm surprised you even have time to play this game at all. :eek: :D

By the way, I think Hubert meant DON'T be shy. ;)

Started with SC1 and have worked my way through Global Conflict! I still play some of the legends such as Panzer General II and Pacific General.

I've been gaming since 1986 and my home office is full of old wargames dating back to the DOS days!

However, Battlefront has my business forever!

CS,

I'm like you, can't get enough of some wargames, even after many years sometimes with the same ones. Welcome aboard! :cool:

As for your other question about JJR on another thread, all one has to do is look WAY BACK toward the beginning of this thread for entertainment..er....history of what he (was) about. :eek::D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an advisor and strategist at the Naval war college in Quantico throughout the 1970's, I deeply emmersed myself in SSI and Avalon Hill startegy games as a hobby attaining high levels of proficiency. As an electronics engineer I enjoyed dabbling in computer hardware since 78 when I wire-wrapped my first OSI motherboard and 7-segmant alpha pnuemeric display. Since then I have delved into many computer games, but, with the exception of Empire Deluxe, I tended to exlude war games as being inadequate. Being a huge advocate of SSI's War in Europe and War in the Pacific, I was very excited to hear of the release of Global Conflict of which I pre-ordered a copy.

Not to get to verbose here, I was disappointed, either at the inconsistency of the AI or at the lack of personnal apptitude. To highlight my frustration, let me briefly transcend time back to the table top gaming era where precise knowledge of rules and consequences were paramount to most victories. Of the four manuals and over 100 pages of text released with the original SSI War in Europe campaign game, my colleques and myself developed many ahistorical versions demanding in excess of 500 pages of modified rules, conditions, and scripts. In comparison, the rather brief Global Conflict manual offers little assistance when trying to determine a rational for action permitted (or not) by the AI. While many can be cited, a few leep to mind: The inabibility of the AI to allow an attack upon Dakar begs for an explanation. Dispite a clear weather summer day with a full strength German unit within a headquarters supply unit the attack could not be even attempted dispite being in an adjacent hex for several turns. Any thoughts? Or why once taking Ireland can German units not transport out nor be reinforced wihin Ireland for as much as four turns? And attacking units in China completely mystifies me in regards to repeatability (or lack of).

To keep this initial inquiry as succinct as possible I would simply like to offer the above observations as an invitation for further discourse on my frustrations and possible lack of skill. I do not know how large your player-base extends, but perhaps a players manual which more completely review the steps used by the AI would be well received and worth the effort to produce. I see many after market 'advise' manuals for other games, and I would certainly purchase a manual which would delve deeper into the fine nuances of the game. I would not, on the other hand, choose to pick up previouse campaign models (games) for the purpose of learning tricks, methods, and nuances of the full version edition.

One final note. I love what I see in the game and the potential it exhibits. I believe in time this will grow into a favorite passtime for me.