Change suggestions

Hawk

Just a litte thread where I can gather and add my change suggestions, kind of like an aide-mémoire for myself. :) Feel free to add yours.

RFC001 - Double-click in rules editor lists.

When double-clicking on a unit, building or technology in the list, it would be nice if the edit-window was opened automatically.

RFC002 - Expand unit list summary in rules editor.

Include maintenance, view and movement ranges and hit points to the unit summary list.

RFC003 - Starting new game.

Have the option to select the same settings for generating a random map as you have in the map/scenario editor (amount of land, rainfall etc).

Just a litte thread where I can gather and add my change suggestions, kind of like an aide-mémoire for myself. :) Feel free to add yours.

RFC001 - Double-click in rules editor lists.

When double-clicking on a unit, building or technology in the list, it would be nice if the edit-window was opened automatically.

RFC002 - Expand unit list summary in rules editor.

Include maintenance, view and movement ranges and hit points to the unit summary list.

Some of that* is available on the Analysis window. To take a look, just open up the "Official 1900-2030" ruleset, go to Analysis, then (in the upper left corner of the main window) pick "Analysis: Tanks". It lists the tanks and a variety of information in a spreadsheet format.

*Not the view range, but I should add that, now that you mention it.

RFC003 - Starting new game.

Have the option to select the same settings for generating a random map as you have in the map/scenario editor (amount of land, rainfall etc).

Yeah, I've been meaning to add that.

Brit; I have been meaning to post since I started a game with the new release. I am enjoying the game and noticed that the AI no longer gets automatic updates for all units when research is done. Thank you.

As for my requested change; I wonder if the build and research queue can be configured to change the order once they have been set. Perhaps I am missing something in the interface, but currently I find it necessary to erase the Queue list and start over whenever I want to move an item up to the top or add a new item to the top. Is there a way to change things around once the list has been entered?

As for my requested change; I wonder if the build and research queue can be configured to change the order once they have been set. Perhaps I am missing something in the interface, but currently I find it necessary to erase the Queue list and start over whenever I want to move an item up to the top or add a new item to the top. Is there a way to change things around once the list has been entered?

Unfortunately, there's no way to rearrange the build-queue right now.

Enemy units outside cities visibility needs to be looked at. As of right now it is in the best interest to place your units outside the city as the opponent can not bombard them with aircraft, ships or artillery unless he has a unit very close. Yet this is not the case with cities. I know what units are in the city and how long I need to keep up the artillery. I can easily select the city for bombardment with aircraft,ships and artillery but the 10 units in the stack next to the city mysteriously disappeared.

Perhaps keep units visible, as long as sighted by an aircraft/unit that turn or participated in a battle remain on the map for 1 turn if no units are adjacent to it. If this unit is not spotted or not attacked the next turn then make it disappear.

Another issue is I do not get the comfty feeling when I try and bombard a city with a battleship that the order went through. When I attack with other units the visual indicator is there.

Can we build forts?

If not how about it or mine fields on land and water? This way you can keep him out.

Right now, forts are only something that can be placed in the scenario editor.

By the way, regarding the other suggestions in this thread: I'm making a note of them.

How about the when maps are generated that you can set the water to land %?

It wauld be nice to have small land and have the % set to 10% land to 90% water.

I need to bring more World-Builder options over from the map editor. (Have you seen the map-generator window for the map editor?)

• 4 weeks later...

How about letting infantry dig for recourses?

I tried to play a game with limited resources and limited cities and I collapsed because I could not supply oil and food.

My suggestion is that infantry would dig for one of the following, oil, iron, gold or create food? This should take some turns to do and you would not always find it like a point value from 0 to 5 (even 5 is high).

Economic Warfare

An empire that provides for the creature comforts of its citizens better than other empires attracts immigrants from those less fortunate populations.

Introducing Consumer Goods (CG) as a production item. The cost for one CG is one of each resource type. Build time is one turn. CG's have no movement capability, and no combat abilities.

Usage is to target a city with one or more CG's. The units destroy themselves upon use, and each has a five percent chance of increasing the target city's population by one point. When a city gains a population point from CG use, one randomly selected city from among all the other player empires loses one point of population.

Guys,...each idea is good,...however, the game is already at the point where it is extremely fun, adding too much more is just going to make this another one of those games that isnt fun becasue of too much micromanagement.

If it isnt broke,...dont fix it.

Now maybe use some of these ides to make Mods....................................

Guys,...each idea is good,...however, the game is already at the point where it is extremely fun, adding too much more is just going to make this another one of those games that isnt fun becasue of too much micromanagement.

Now maybe use some of these ides to make Mods....................................

Good point. I am glad that you reminded us that the topic of this thread is NOT

desired changes to the game. Oh wait, yes it is. My bad. I'll be quiet now.

Good point. I am glad that you reminded us that the topic of this thread is NOT

desired changes to the game. Oh wait, yes it is. My bad. I'll be quiet now.

No, not my intent at all. I am just saying too many changes, or too dramatic of changes could hurt the game more than help it.

It's a male thing, we're always trying to fix stuff that ain't broken :D

Besides suggestions are good, borders and improved sentry were both suggested and implemented :)

The only thing to remember with a suggestion is to try to post the "will it improve the game overall" ones rather than the "will it just be useful in my favoured map and rule style"

Why does radar not push the fog of war back all the way to the edge of the green ring ? Why only the 33% increase and what advantage does detecting aircraft from farther away give ? Or perhaps leave the fog of war but make enemy units that move into the green ring show up.

Also radar detects subs ? Considering the layout of most maps that makes them somewhat ineffective for sneaking around with. I think having to find them with destroyers and maybe adding helicopters in the later tech would make them both more effective.

Why does radar not push the fog of war back all the way to the edge of the green ring ? Why only the 33% increase and what advantage does detecting aircraft from farther away give ? Or perhaps leave the fog of war but make enemy units that move into the green ring show up.

The radar lets you see all units that are 'Radar Visible'. This includes most of the aircraft in the game (but not the stealth aircraft). The radar let's you know if players are flying aircraft in the area, and whether he has patrols going through the area.

Also radar detects subs ? Considering the layout of most maps that makes them somewhat ineffective for sneaking around with. I think having to find them with destroyers and maybe adding helicopters in the later tech would make them both more effective.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of 'radar' as a whole bunch of detection systems. It detects submarines out to a distance of 40, which is actually pretty short. But, yeah, I should probably remove submarines from the detectable units.

thinking of 'radar' as a whole bunch of detection systems"

i agree and always liked the idea.

i like the concept of a 'simple' economic system and 'i vote' that it stay'd that way.

however, i'm starting over a game, because after 30 turns, i'm finding no resources.

(acctually 1 gold6 and 1 food3 and four city's all producing money, can't sustain the cities, 1 transport, 2 infantry, 2 artillary and 1 biplane).

these starting city's needed to, imho, had to have the resources to even start all this.

at least close enough to reclaim them.

there becomes a time when one likes to move an aircraft to guard an approach (sea/land choke point). but have to plot back and forth waypoints at that position. i would like to see a command that i can plot the waypoint and then order the plane to 'loiter' at that position until fuel forces it home, or if it has an 'attack' order attack enemy unit that comes into range (then return home).

oh yea. ''new game", could it be setup to 'remember' what the last setup was?