Panzerschreck in ToW demo

Hey all!

So I was playing the Tow 1 demo mission "Mousetrap". When I ended up shooting up the Cromwells with the Panzerschrecks from the trenches, I was amazed at what little damage they did. I watched one fire at a Crom hopelessly with about 2 or 3 hits, and saw no obvious damage to the tank after scoring hits on the rear and turret, which proceeded to shoot back. I was playing on Veteran.

So is this some sort of bug? I can understand the odd unlucky no effect shot, but it seems like this happens every time I score a schreck hit.

Thanks for any help!

Twan,

I dont play TOW, but you are right, the Cromwell should have died in the first hit if not the second.

If one of the crewmen died then the rest would have bailed...The gun doesnt have to be damaged.

Yes, Those types of HEAT rounds on a Schreck should be wunderwaffe...Sounds like undermodeling to me.

Yes I know that they are not wonder weapons, but multiple hits on a Crom seemed to have no effect whatsoever. I even recall when a Schreck round struck the engine compartement, the Crom kept driving like nothing happened. I think that the most i've been able to do with a Schreck is track it, since a Crom was disabled on top of my trench. Is it possible that HEAT rounds (or at least RPG's) are bugged? Or possibly something to do with infantry? After watching a bailed out tank commander with an MP40 firing at a British Anti-Tank soldier from (literally) 1 meter away, almost an entire clip, with no hits, when the British soldier shot him in the face with his pistol :eek: (although it was very entertaining to watch lol)

Thanks for the replies so far!

CMx2 ( or 2nd Generation of Combat Mission Games )...There will be a WWII version of Combat Mission-Strike Force ( first module: Combat Mission-Normandy ) coming out shortly...You can read this discussion in the Combat Mission-Strike Force forum.

• 2 weeks later...
CMx2 ( or 2nd Generation of Combat Mission Games )...There will be a WWII version of Combat Mission-Strike Force ( first module: Combat Mission-Normandy ) coming out shortly...You can read this discussion in the Combat Mission-Strike Force forum.

Gawd I hope the terrain and map art are graphically improved over CMSF.

As for if the schrek shoulda killed the cromwell. They Kill T 34 '43 pretty good, just about right actually. Sometimes the exception applies. You have to be on the receiving end of a shrek to see what happens, usually the crew is greyed out or stunned, one or more may have been killed. Then the crew performs a switch out and you can drive off if the damage is compartmentalized. Sometimes they bail too. Each creman has attributes, I think applies to their panic.

Twan,

Ah...Ok, I guess TOW uses super-human crew attributes, its no wonder you couldnt KO that Cromwell.

OK you hate TOW. You and Twan are the same person. I get it. hehe

Seriously tho I never noticed repeated ineffective direct hits from the shreks in the game. Maybe rarely. So should it never ever happen? Well players would be more content to see the results occur as they expect. So sure, this should not happen.

I piped in cause I played this game almost daily since it came out and found shreks and zooks and even fausts modelled pretty true.

me too, I never noticed this.

But sometimes, the crew is dead, and the tank is still "red".

So your men continue to shoot at the tank.

It represents the fact that you are not in the tank, so you can't be sure the crew is dead, before some times.

• 5 months later...
OK you hate TOW. You and Twan are the same person. I get it. hehe

No, we're not.

I posted this thread simply to find out if there may have been a bug with HEAT rounds, and it sounds like the tone has changed for some reason.

Back to the topic:

Could this be a bug only with the demo version?

• 8 months later...

According to an article about RPzB 43-54-54/1 in Polish "Militaria XX wieku" magazine, vol. 1(17)/2011, Panzerschrecks weren't that efficient as you may think. They had efficiency of about 25% at the range of 100 meters. The author doesn't state though, what he means by efficiency. The accuracy, penetration/kill ratio or usage in combat. The truth is, that in the first month of 1944 in the Eastern Front, only 9 tanks were knocked out by this weapon. In February it was 24 and in March - 29. So I guess it's nothing compared to AT artillery or other means of tank destruction. The only German formation successful in tank hunting with RPzBs was Kampfgruppe Dora II. Within a single day, it knocked out six russian tanks heading towards Berlin. Then, they headed out towards Lebus. It's possible that on their way there, they took out a hundred, or so, tanks. Near Neu Zittau they destroyed their 125th tank. But please note, that apart of Panzershercks, the formation was also strongly equipped with Panzerfausts.