Guide: How to make the Mission Editor run on 64-bit OSes

Just thought some of the users here might appreciate this, I've used a similar procedure on several games that claim not to be "64-bit" compatible and it works without side effects.

The mission editor is a .net executable, meaning it contains a header region that can be edited by some freely available tools from microsoft. While I can't freely distribute the modified .exe files that work, I am going to explain how to make them.

Download the 64-bit .NET 2.0 SDK from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1aef6fce-6e06-4b66-afe4-9aad3c835d3d&displaylang=en

download, install. That parts simple.

Now, open your start menu. Open the "MIcrosoft .NET Framework SDK v2.0 (64bit)" Folder. Choose "SDK Command Prompt"

In the command prompt, type the following and hit return when done:

"cd \Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War\Mission Editor"

(NOTE: You may need to change this to another directory if that's not where it installed or you didn't get it from battlefront.com)

Now type "Corflags editor.exe /32BIT+" and hit return. Now type "Corflags MissionGen.exe /32BIT+"

The editors should now run 100% flawlessly.

NOTE TO MODS AND ADMINS: This to my knowledge, is a 100% legal procedure allowed to be performed by the end user. No executables are being distributed, this is simply a guide on how to legally modify the executables header region using freely available tools supplied by microsoft to enable the game to work. To my knowledge this is not in violation of any EULA conditions or copyright laws. So please be nice and if you don't like this for one reason or another, just say so and don't ban me. I'm not a lawyer. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Vista 64 Bit. My game is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War. Can you show me more detail How to make Mission Editor Working??? I tried what you tell...but seen like i missing some thing here. Please help...:D

"cd \Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War\Mission Editor"

CD: (is this CD mean the Hard drive where the game installed or where we place the game disc?)

far_a_way2000 - actually the "cd" here is a command-line command meaning "change directory". In the commands above you are just changing the directory to where the TOW Editors are (so you don't have to type out their full path in the command).

Just type a lower case "cd" with the space after it in the above commands and it should work. The same thing can be done at a normal command prompt.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Schrullenhaft,

I have Windows 7 64 bit and I DID NOT buy TOW from battlefront directly.

I downloaded the SDK software and changed the directories ok but...

It didn't work. It says in the Command Prompt: CF002 error.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW an error code of #3000 occurs and it says current version of game will not work when you Right Click the shortcut.

hellas1

The default install path under a 64-bit version of Windows for the Battlefront version is:

\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War'

If you use a different distribution (CDV, Kalypso, Anuman, etc.), then the 'Battlefront' portion of that above path will not exist. It will most likely be your distributor's name there. However there can be other differences in the path between distributions (I don't have them, so I don't know the details).

When it comes to using the above SDK to make the Editors 64-bit capable, you have to change directory ("cd") to a directory that actually exists. The "Mission Editor" part above is slightly incorrect with the Battlefront version. It is actually "MissionEditor", no space. I assume you would get an error if you tried to 'cd' to a directory that didn't exist.

I assume the full text of the error for the 'CF002' error is actually this:

corflags : error CF002 : Could not open file for reading

Which suggests that the files you are attempting to convert don't exist. You will probably have to look inside the correct directories and make note of the file names, including whether there are any capitalizations. If that still doesn't work, then I'm not sure what to say and it is possible that this workaround MAY NOT work for everyone.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I joined this forum just so I could say thanks for the great game, and that RTB's fix for allowing Mission Editor (and incidentally, Battle Generator) to work on Windows 7 performed flawlessly. :D

(Prior to this fix, trying to run Mission Editor and Battle Generator gave me the "error #3000" saying I had the wrong version installed, or whatever.)

The only additional thing I needed was to download from MS the updates to Direct X 9. I tried this after I received an error message indicating that it was needed.

My Windows 7 install is only one week old, and fully updated by Microsoft. TOW is the second game I've installed on my system (the first was Sims 3) and after RTB's fix, I can say with satisfaction that all is working as well as I could hope.

Again, thanks all, and looking forward to "seeing you out there" in the awesome virtual TOW world!

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I installed TOW on my D: drive, and had to do the following to get the SDK commands to work:

1. Enter the drive letter at the command prompt >d:

2. The command prompt should change to D:\>

3. Now enter the change directory command D:\>cd

4.. Follow the steps listed above and the Corflags command should work