[ERROR] 0xc0000005 on Windows 7 64bit

Thoddy398

Hello,

I just bought the game and was able to install it without issues. When starting the application (with full administrative rights) I get an application error on Windows 7 64bit:

EOS.exe 0xc0000005

I have tried every compatibility mode. Need help, please :-)

Thoddy398

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my Lenovo x200 laptop and the full game runs mostly fine. I installed it with admin rights and changed the desktop shortcut to admin privs and the game is ok. I have seen some weird behavior a couple of times (e.g. map disappeared and replaced with my desktop view and loading game miniwindow not going away when game loaded) but otherwise it has worked ok so far.

>> Dzeijay <<

• 2 weeks later...
This error (0xc00000005) is very typical for a DEP error. Please follow the steps outlined in the Knowledgebase at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk under the eLicense category. You have to exclud eos.exe from your game folder and runservice.exe from the C:\Windows folder.

I really, really want to like this game, I used to play the original text-based Empire, as well as Empire Deluxe, and this version seems like a great attempt to bring these up-to-date. I learned about the game only yesterday and immediately downloaded the demo.

Today, I tried to install it on two different Windows versions, Windows 7 64-bit and Windows XP Pro 32 bit (Core i7 desktop and Lenovo Core2 Duo laptop), and I'm not able to start the game at all; I can't get it to go past "error 0xc00000005".

As the other users, I tried all compatibility modes, installing and running as administrator, as well as DEP work-arounds, all to no avail. By the way, there is no "runservice.exe" file anywhere on my machine for either WinXP or Win7. All my machines have hardware DEP turned on for all programs (except for specified exceptions, e.g. EOS.exe) and this is something I'm not willing to compromise.

I don't understand how or why a brand-new game released today would require turning off DEP or require installation with administrator privileges (I won't even dwell on the pre-historic install program that doesn't even register the game properly). This is simply inexcusable (IMHO) from a system security perspective.

Please, please, please fix this game so it works properly on modern hardware and operating systems.

- Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I too was in your same shoes, as I run Windows 7. It was all fixed by following Moon's advice, except you are missing one step. "runservice.exe".

I found that file in my windows folder, and added that to the dep exception list, and voila it worked fine.

I would recommend you do a full search for that file, because I missed adding that to the dep and only the EOS.exe and I had the same problem as you.

Hi Thomas,

I too was in your same shoes, as I run Windows 7. It was all fixed by following Moon's advice, except you are missing one step. "runservice.exe".

I found that file in my windows folder, and added that to the dep exception list, and voila it worked fine.

I would recommend you do a full search for that file, because I missed adding that to the dep and only the EOS.exe and I had the same problem as you.

Thanks for your comment, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I tried to follow the advice posted earlier (it's also in the BattleFront help section pointed to by the EOS readme file, by the way), but was not able to find any trace of the "runservice.exe" executable. It's not anywhere in my Windows directory, any of the programs directories (including the EOS install directory), or the whole hard drive (did a full search on all of these).

According to some references I found on the web, runservice.exe is "part of the eLicense licensing system", so I would assume it should be installed by the EOS demo installer. Very odd...

Before you ask, yes, I did install this from an administrator account.

tswca,

Before you ask, yes, I did install this from an administrator account.

Ah, see, this is the problem. An administrator account does not have enough administrator rights per se. This was introduced with Windows Vista and it's in Windows 7, too. You need to specifically right-click on the game, open Properties, and set it to "Run as administrator". That's what is meant with "having full admin rights", and it's explained also in the installer of the game.

Please uninstall and reinstall using the advice above. If your runservice.exe file is still missing, then something else is still blocking it from being written into your Windows folder. In that case, please submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. We can send you the runservice file and you can copy it there manually. Sometimes that's a quick workaround to make your PC "understand" what is going on.

Martin