Man I Am Ready For Some WWII

Lanzfeld

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of them is the new QB system. The mechanics are all designed, and have been for some time. We just haven't come to the point of actually coding it yet. There were a lot of other, sometimes mundane, things that made more sense to do first from a production standpoint. For example, Dan couldn't start making bridge models until there were bridges in the game and the specs for them known. The QB system doesn't hold up production like those other things so, as important as it is and as much as it does need a lot of testing/tweaking, it was saved for later in the development cycle.

Steve

Yes, delay in getting the game prepped for release. From what I heard, a problem with some of the campaign scenarios cropped up and they needed to be re-converted.

The announcement (and web pages) are nearly ready though, and hopefully I will find the time finally for them sometime this month. I wanted to first grab some screen captures from the new soldier models etc. but if it delays things much longer, we'll put out the game section without that at first.

:eek: realy that close?

Moon, just to get back to you on this briefly: I don't know if games are cheaper in Germany, but prices have certainly gone up (slowly) for years here. Part of that is understandable since production costs keep rising as hardware improves and all, but € 50 has been the standard for PC games here in Austria for a while now, too. Just checked again today and found:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 -- € 49.99 for PC, 59.99 for PS3

Dragon Age Origins -- same

EA Sports Soccer Manager 10 -- same

And I remember Fallout 3 was 59.99 when it was released.

And as you see, there is a standard € 10 premium on console games vs. PC. Seems a little like printers and ink - hardware prices have been dropping while software/supplies prices have been rising. Better money for producers in the long run, I guess :)

As for CM: Afghanistan's delay... it's the typical problem we developers have! Finishing that last 5% takes way, way longer than anybody expects. We're working very closely with our Russian partners to get it done ASAP.

Steve

Aha, and this is the primer for, well er, a CMN release in September after all!

Back to serious land though. Is it true that testing the campaign takes a long time and if so, why not release the game before the campaign is ready. Would this make sense for those that are only interested in QBs etc? Im not particularly bothered by not having a campaign to be honest as I find them a little bit Mundane, all that not knowing what your core units are and having most of the scenarios unconnected just doesnt really grab me. I will play them and have done, but its not why I want any CM game.

Moon, just to get back to you on this briefly: I don't know if games are cheaper in Germany, but prices have certainly gone up (slowly) for years here. Part of that is understandable since production costs keep rising as hardware improves and all, but € 50 has been the standard for PC games here in Austria for a while now, too. Just checked again today and found:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 -- € 49.99 for PC, 59.99 for PS3

Dragon Age Origins -- same

EA Sports Soccer Manager 10 -- same

And I remember Fallout 3 was 59.99 when it was released.

And as you see, there is a standard € 10 premium on console games vs. PC. Seems a little like printers and ink - hardware prices have been dropping while software/supplies prices have been rising. Better money for producers in the long run, I guess :)

Thanks stoex, that's very interesting. Looks like we're going to have to increase our prices then ;)

Seriously though, we haven't had a price increase in 10 years (read: ever) and are still selling "full price" at $45 as from day one, so earlier this year we did in fact internally talk about increasing prices across the board at some point, even if just to keep up with inflation.

The thing about games in shops is that after the initial high price, games tend to get cheap quite quickly (unless they have huge sales). Battlefront sell their products at 'full price' for years.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't pay a little more for a new title from Battlefront but I am not shelling out 50 quid for a game like CoD that lasts for maybe 15 hours and offers little replay value. Not ever. I would buy it second hand or pirate it instead.

Thanks stoex, that's very interesting. Looks like we're going to have to increase our prices then ;)

Seriously though, we haven't had a price increase in 10 years (read: ever) and are still selling "full price" at $45 as from day one, so earlier this year we did in fact internally talk about increasing prices across the board at some point, even if just to keep up with inflation.

Doh! What did we do? Bit of an own goal there.

Did you know that free games were getting really big too? I'm just saying... :D

Did you know that free games were getting really big too? I'm just saying... :D

There you go! Free games are really, really hip. Soon everybody will be doing it. Stay ahead of the crowd and start now while it's cool. You'll get invited to parties with movie stars. Hot babes will go home with you.

(There. Think they'll go for it?)

Michael

There you go! Free games are really, really hip. Soon everybody will be doing it. Stay ahead of the crowd and start now while it's cool. You'll get invited to parties with movie stars. Hot babes will go home with you.

(There. Think they'll go for it?)

Michael

Nah, Steve will just say they already have hot babes going home with them. ;)