Man I Am Ready For Some WWII

Lanzfeld

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess what I am saying is now as I play CMSF I find myself often envisioning WWII troops and weapons. I just cant wait to see the spewing MG42 and the chugging BARS and 30 cals... and all the goodies going at it. The M1 Garand squads plinking away and hearing the constant "Pings" before individuals reload. Zooks, Schrecks, fausts...all of it! I really cant wait!!!

I guess what I am saying is now as I play CMSF I find myself often envisioning WWII troops and weapons. I just cant wait to see the spewing MG42 and the chugging BARS and 30 cals... and all the goodies going at it. The M1 Garand squads plinking away and hearing the constant "Pings" before individuals reload. Zooks, Schrecks, fausts...all of it! I really cant wait!!!

Not to mention a lone Tiger showing up to ruin your pixel troops day.

I really cant wait!!!

Though I am really looking forward to the first WW2 installment of CMx2, I actually can wait. But that's mostly because the NATO module has yet to be released, and I'm still getting a handle on the new content of the British module.

Speaking of which: Am I misunderstanding, or is CM:N supposed to come out before the NATO module?

In case you guys missed these posts like I did, here they are.

11-03-2009, 04:22 PM

The primary problem with SHOWING you guys stuff is that we have not prioritized the artwork for the terrain or soldier textures. There are plenty of vehicles to show off, but not more than initial test examples of the other stuff. We're trying to concentrate on the features rather than the brute force grunt work that is needed to make the game complete. The design and initial implementation stuff doesn't do well in screenshots ;)

That being said, I'll see what I can do to get you guys to stop talking nonsense about BMP-1s going up against Panthers :D

Steve

11-05-2009, 03:46 PM

We are still aiming to have the game itself done before the beginning of the year. Meaning all the features we plan on being added should be in the game. How long it will take to get the game released after that... we're not sure. But a couple of months is certain. Therefore, it won't be January. However, none of us want it to be April either. I haven't had a relaxing summer off since about 2004. Daddy needs a tan :)

Steve

Based on that, I think we can count on a September release.

There are only two significant things left to code for Normandy. The rest is the normal pile of odds and ends, ranging from time consuming (scenarios and campaign) to the easy (2D weapons icons) and from the cool (vehicle textures) to the mundane (manual). The detail stuff takes a lot of time, but not 10 months :P

Steve

There are only two significant things left to code for Normandy. The rest is the normal pile of odds and ends, ranging from time consuming (scenarios and campaign) to the easy (2D weapons icons) and from the cool (vehicle textures) to the mundane (manual). The detail stuff takes a lot of time, but not 10 months :P

Steve

Speaking of the 2D weapons icons, I think the fluro green of CMSF would look aesthetically out of place in a WW2 game. Any chance of going back to the more realistic icons of CM1? If not hopefully Scipio is around to produce one of his icon mods.

Speaking of the 2D weapons icons, I think the fluro green of CMSF would look aesthetically out of place in a WW2 game. Any chance of going back to the more realistic icons of CM1? If not hopefully Scipio is around to produce one of his icon mods.

You're assuming that any part of the new game's UI will look anything like the old one. But if we look back they have varied even between CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. I'm pretty sure that the UI will look very different from CMSF's modern appearance. Especially if the UI itself changes at all.

Speaking of which: Am I misunderstanding, or is CM:N supposed to come out before the NATO module?

Not necessarily, Cassio aka Webwing who is heading the NATO project hinted they might be first.

Speaking of delays though, weren’t we supposed to have an announcement of CM:Soviets in Afghanistan by now?

$65 is only EUR 43 at the current rate, so it's just barely more expensive than you would have to pay in retail in Europe (EUR 39.99 being the usual price point I guess for new releases).

Or do you mean download & mail? Well, $65 for download & mail including shipping isn't a lot either. I bought some software the other day and the provider company (I think it was DR, not sure) offered me a backup CD for "just $15". Oh, and a "download insurance" for $5, too (you get 1 year from us without any charges).

Anyway, at the moment, there are no plans to release the Normandy base game to retail. Frankly, there is little retail left out there to speak off. Last time I visited a local Gamestop I had to ask them where the PC section was and the guy pointed to a batch of 20 or so CDs piled up on the floor :)

I heard that it got delayed till December in Russia. So if that is true we probably won't be seeing it until after Christmas.

Yes, delay in getting the game prepped for release. From what I heard, a problem with some of the campaign scenarios cropped up and they needed to be re-converted.

The announcement (and web pages) are nearly ready though, and hopefully I will find the time finally for them sometime this month. I wanted to first grab some screen captures from the new soldier models etc. but if it delays things much longer, we'll put out the game section without that at first.

Moon - unfortunately your price guess for new releases in Europe is a little off...at least as far as I am concerned here in Austria. Shelf prices for new releases are more like € 49.99 here, even € 59.99 for popular titles. This is one of the things I love about BF - getting so much more bang for my buck (or Euro as the case may be). I believe the CMSF Base game/Marines combo offer when I bought it online from you was $ 45? A complete steal for one of the greatest games ever PLUS an add-on, about half of what I would pay for any old crap game in my local store. Can't wait for CM:Normandy!!! Cheers to you guys from here:)