"Could not initialize OpenGL graphics"

Well, I wasn´t aware that there is a specific order to install the drivers in.

well i am not aware of any specific order too BUT the world of PC´s and software/hardware is often a unexpainable one, even for the most hardened computer grogs. like doing something 2 times, it doesnt work, and the 3rd time it works suddenly and noone can expalin why but the most important thing is that it works. sometimes persistance is all you need :D

Well, now I´ve uninstalled CCC, removed the remaining ATI-files with Driver Sweeper and then reinstalled CCC.

And as far as I can see in OpenGL Extensions Viewer...

...nothing has changed at all :-(

@ schrullenhaft:

I did as you suggested and established that the file was indeed the version CCC said it was, not the one the OpenGL Viewer claimed. So I then tried your next suggestion and pasted this into the run box: regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\atioglxx.dll"

I was told that "C:\Windows\System32\atioglxx.dll was read (written?), but the entry point dllRegisterServer wasn´t found. This file cannot be registered" (my own translation, I´m a bit unsure how to translate some of these tecnical terms)

The only answer I could think of is your motherboard might be one of the older 1.0 complient motherboards. So even if you put 2.0 video card in a 1.0 motherboard you simple won't have the bandwidth to operate the 2.0 drivers.

PCI-E cards started out with a narrow bandwidth which was designated 1.0.

They still had twice the bandwidth of AGPx8. You can load all the 2.0 drivers you want but if you don't have the machine for it they just won't work.

I think.

PCI-E 2.0 has nothing to do with OpenGL 2.0 :)

It is GPU hardware bandwith vs an 'graphics protocol' to keep it simple :)

• 3 years later...

We'll need more hardware details about your computer. Is it a desktop or a laptop ? Do you know what your current video card/chip is ? Simply installing a driver will not do anything if you don't have hardware that utilizes it. Intel integrated video (common in many laptops) often will not run CMSF. Occasionally certain drivers may work for SOME video chips, but often many desktops and laptops have to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer rather than Intel (which will have the latest).

If you don't know what video card you have, then you will need to look in the 'Device Manager' within the Control Panel (for Windows). Windows Vista and newer will have a separate Device Manager control panel, while Windows XP and earlier you will have to find the Device Manager within the 'System' control panel.

• 2 months later...

I recently upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1. I first unlicensed the game then did the upgrade. Today I licensed the game and when I tried to start it, I got the openGL message and told to update my driver. Unfortunately I have an AMD/ATI HD4200 and there is no new driver. The game worked fine under W8.

Assuming that you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.x, then you may want to download the latest applicable driver from AMD:

Catalyst 13.1 for Windows 8 64-bit

I would guess that the driver you are currently using is probably provided by Microsoft and sometimes Microsoft seems to drop a bit of OpenGL support in the drivers that they provide (though the driver originally does come from AMD). Hopefully the above linked 13.1 Catalyst should work with Windows 8.1 and restore full OpenGL functionality.

• 3 weeks later...

Went through hoops to get it to work. Short story:

Device Manager

Select Display Adapters

Right click, select update driver software

Select browse my computer and then let me pick from a list of devices

I show

ATI Radeon 4200

ATI Radeon 4200 (Microsoft Corp WDDM v1.1)

Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

Since I had the WDDM v1.1, I chose the top one, then the next button. Then continued and it installed something from somewhere that worked.

• 3 weeks later...