"Could not initialize OpenGL graphics"

hi everybody,

I just bought a paradox version of CMSF, and I added the two modules Brits and Marines.

Now it's running in 1.21

But, everytime I try to launch the game, this message pops up : "Could not initialize OpenGL graphics"...

I must say that the game never worked : neither directly from the box, nor after being patched.

I've got a nvidia 9800GT with 191.07 drivers.

I tried to use older drivers, like 185.85, but the message remains.

Is anybody able to fix it ?

What Windows version are you running ? It still sounds like an issue with the video drivers. For CMSF I would recommend the 186.18 drivers (the last WHQL driver of the 180 series). There is nothing specifically better about it compared to the 185.85 driver, but it does NOT have some of the OpenGL bugs of the 191.07 driver.

I suggest using Driver Sweeper AFTER running the Nvidia uninstaller, but BEFORE attempting to install another set of drivers.

Once you've installed the drivers that you want you can download and try out the FurMark Benchmark/stress test. If this runs then I assume you have basic OpenGL functionality which should be sufficient for CMSF.

When you install the game I HIGHLY suggest that you temporarily disable any anti-virus/firewall/internet-security application that you're running (Windows Firewall doesn't need to be turned off). Also, run the installer and the game as Administrator by right-clicking on the executable/shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

I'm not sure what sort of DRM/copy protection that Paradox uses, but I believe it is disc based. This software may object to certain programs that are installed such as CD/DVD drive emulators, etc. You may need to disable or possibly even uninstall these programs. You may need to contact Paradox's customer support for more details on getting the Paradox version of CMSF running.

When you install the Marines and British Forces modules, the Paradox DRM/copy protection software is no longer an issue since the actual executable gets replaced with an eLicensed version of the game. When you launch CMSF after installing a new module, you should get the eLicense registration dialog box. If you never see this, then CMSF will not run since the games are considered "unlicensed" at this point.

You may want to unlicense any of the modules you have installed. They may need to be unlicensed INDIVIDUALLY - British Forces, then Marines. The uninstaller on these will only unlicense the last module on patches BEFORE 1.21. Here is a Helpdesk Knowledgebase article on UNLICENSING and another Helpdesk Knowledgebase article on MANUAL UNLICENSING (when you don't have links for unlicensing). Once you're sure that you've unlicensed both modules, uninstall them and the CMSF base game.

Now install your Paradox version of CMSF (again, paying attention to anti-virus/security software and right-clicking to "Run as administrator"). At this point you can try to see if this will work (with no patches at this point). If you don't want to deal with the Paradox DRM/copy protection, then you can install the Marines module and see if it will license without problems and then try to run CMSF. At this point CMSF will be using an eLicense executable and you will not need the Paradox disc and CMSF should be at version 1.10. If CMSF still will not run and you've been able to license, then there are still video driver issues with your computer.

Let us know how you progress.

Well your Nvidia GeForce 9800GT is definitely an OpenGL 2.0 compliant video card. And the 186.18 driver has OpenGL 2.0 compliant code... Something, unfortunately, is FUBAR with your driver setup on your computer.

Do you know what motherboard or computer model you have ? I don't know if installing "chipset software" will help or not with your problem.

If you go to your Control Panel > Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings, what are your "Global" settings ? There are several here and they're probably using the defaults, which should work fine with CMSF. Do you have more than one monitor hooked up to your video card ? Do you have internal video that you're possibly hooked up to (usually this gets disabled with a video card inserted) ?

I restored the settings, but that changed nothing.

I'm using a single monitor.

I agree with you, there's something totally f* up in my drivers...

I will ask to some friend of mine.

But I really thank you for your help.

I'll let you know when my problem will be solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ´ve got a very similar problem - but with a different graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4350. I get the message to upgrade to OpenGL 2.0, but how do I do that other than updating my driver? CCC says that my OpenGL version is: 6.14.10.9116

My graphics card is brand new and I updated the driver to the latest version yesterday. Should mention that I´m using Windows XP Home and it´s the demo version I´m trying to play. I downloaded it yesterday to test how well it would play on my PC - in order to be prepared for CM-Normandy.

umlaut - I'd suggest uininstalling your current drivers (I assume they are Catalyst 9.11 or 9.10) and then running Driver Sweeper (link in above post) to clear out the "ATI display driver". When you have rebooted, cancel any attempts to install a video driver and THEN install the Catalyst 9.10 or 9.11 driver. Hopefully this will restore OpenGL functionality. If it doesn't, then something else is definitely wrong with your Windows install.

OpenGL 2.x support is in the display driver. Microsoft has some OpenGL files in the OS, but they are basically supplanted by the driver's files. In the case of ATI under Windows XP I believe it is the 'atioglxx.dll' file that supports OpenGL calls.

I'm not sure why such things happen. The video drivers will appear to be installed without issue, but then something just doesn't work at all; in this case OpenGL support is just gone.

Thanks for the reply, Schrullenhaft. I´ve got one more question, though - just to be sure: You see, my brand new graphics card was installed simultaneously with me formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows from scratch (my PC had crashed because of an error in the old graphics card).

Now, here´s the question: As I formatted my hard drive when I installed the card, I should think there wouldn´t be any "driver bits" left over from the old card on the PC. Wouldn´t a "clean up" and a new install of the driver then be futile?

Cheers

umlaut - The Driver Sweeper program cleans up any bits of a driver that the uninstaller doesn't clean up itself. Usually it is good for those times when people have installed various versions of a driver over previous copies. Some files or registry settings may remain. In your case this doesn't sound necessary since you've only installed one driver and that was after a clean install.

A DirectX Diagnostic report might be somewhat helpful, but to be honest it will not tell us everything and the tests that are built-in are for DirectX and not OpenGL. It's possible to have one API working properly and not the other, thus the DirectX Diagnostic might tell you that DirectX is working, but no information would be provided for OpenGL.

You can download and run the OpenGL Extension Viewer, which could tell you a bit more about your OpenGL compatibility. Typically if you're getting OpenGL 1.0/1.1 compatibility and nothing higher, your video driver is messed up in some manner to prevent OpenGL from working.

i am asking for a DxDiag most of the time becouse;

1; its done nearly as fast as typeing the rought specs of ones PC, while includeing much more information

2; dont think i take anyone here for a tech noob but its not uncommon that someone tells you he has hardware/software X but has Y installed. either they are mixing it up or have no idea

thats why i like to look through the DxDiags myself to see what hardware and drivers are installed.

ah no prob, easy as throwing stones ;)

dxdiag.jpg

you do this and type in DxDiag in the window to the right where you see it written down, then hit OK.

then it will take a few moments and when it is done there is a button "save as .txt" or something along this line. you hit that one and save the information as txt wich you attach to the post here or you can copy past the the info from the txt in here, wich is even easier but will create a loooong post...but that isnt a problem here i think.

then we see if there is possibly something obviousely fishy here :)

Ok, I uninstalled the driver, ran the driver sweeper, and then reinstalled the driver.

Speed increased, and in a relatively small battle file on single player, it was clearly easier to scroll and swing camera angle than before.

But I was not able to run a big PMEM file (20 megs) at average settings. I was able to run the file at fastest settings.

I am aware there is some kind of bug that messes with big battles played in PBEM, clearly this is that bug manifesting itself.

What is not clear is whether my inability to run the battle is just that, or something on my side.

Since I like big battles played in PBEM, I may still be behind the 8-ball here.

Core 2, Windows XT, NVidia 9800.

ok in short there is nothing fishy to be seen. only that your bios is called "default system BIOS" but that cant be a reason, however i never saw that.

if you tried reinstalling the drivers, after deinstalling them, rebooting, running driver clear and all this usual stuff and its still not working go and download "GPU caps viewer" or "openGL extension viewer" or similar software to find out what open GL version you are running. i have GPU caps viewer myself, get it here( http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/ )

since you cant use openGL 2.0 it should not display openGL 2.0 but something else, although you should have at least openGL 2.0 support with youre card and drivers.

i had this once with day of defeat classic if i remember right, i dont know how i fixed it but its nothing obviouse unfortunately.

PS.: after the reformating of the PC, did you install the GFX card drivers "befor" directX possibly? maybe you just did something in the wrong order?

did CMSF or the demo work befor you reformated the PC?

Thanks again, Pandur

I´ve run openGL extension viewer and it says that my version is 1.1, the driver version 6.14.10.7018.

When I click "see details" it tells me under "core features" that 1.1 is supported, 1.2 is partly supported, and everytning above that is not supported.

Does that mean that my graphics card simply doesn´t support OpenGL 2.0? If yes, has anyone got any recommendation for which card I should buy to run CMx2 (preferably nothing too fancy and expensive)?

Cheers

umlaut - your video card DOES support OpenGL 2.0. There is just something wrong with your drivers. Your driver version seems a bit off 6.14.10.7018 would typically translate into 107.018 in Nvidia driver versions, which doesn't seem correct. With OpenGL Viewer only report 1.1/and some 1.2 OpenGL compatibility it seems as if your OpenGL driver isn't being recognized by the OpenGL system.

If you used the OpenGL Viewer 3.15, click on the 'Extensions' menu item in the left-hand menu (under 'Tasks'). Under the section listed as 'Renderer Info' it should give you some details about your video card. If it doesn't, then it may not be recognizing your OpenGL driver. I'm not sure if it may say "Microsoft" within this section, but if it does, then it is using a software OpenGL renderer.

I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB and with the 186.18 driver it supports OpenGL 3.0. If you're running an 9800GT, it should support the same extensions.

Hi Scrullenhaft

CCC is version 09.11 and CCC says that my OpenGL version is 6.14.10.9116, not 6.14.10.7018 as "openGL extension viewer" tells me. Don´t know if that means anything?

BTW just to make sure: card is a HD 4350 (don´t know if "4850" was just a typo).

"Renderer info" says:

Vendor: Microsoft corporation

Renderer: GDI generic

Version: 1.1.0

Memory:1024 MB

Do you have any idea how well card like mine will fare with CMx2, especially Normandy? The vendor told me it was way too weak for gaming, and I would have followed his advice and bought a more powerful card - if my PSU had been capable of supplying the required power.

Thanks again

umlaut - yes, the 4850 was a typo. The 4350 is still OpenGL 2.0 compliant. Admittedly it is probably a bit underpowered for robust gaming. It should still work with CMx2-based games, just not as fast.

You are running Windows XP on this desktop, is that correct ? If so, look for a file in the '/Windows/System32/' directory named 'atioglxx.dll' and right-click on it and select 'Properties'. In here go to the 'Version' tab and check the File Version and see if it matches what OpenGL Viewer tells you or what the CCC tells you.

Assuming that the file you find is the appropriate one listed by the CCC, then you may want to attempt registering the file manually. I don't know if the following will help or hurt, but you can try this out to see if it does anything. Type the following in the Run command:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\atioglxx.dll"

This will hopefully manually register the DLL file and MAYBE the system will find it.

ah nice, there is progress. just to add here, openGL2.0 "came out", if you can call it like that, in september 2004. so any regular radeon or Gforce cards will support openGL2.0 since at least 4 years. and youre card seems to be not older then 4 years :D

only way to not get openGL support is by low end super cheap onboard GFX solutions.

right now the latest openGL is from august 2009, version 3.2 wich is unimportant here but just so you know.

here you can see for youreself... ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL )

The only answer I could think of is your motherboard might be one of the older 1.0 complient motherboards. So even if you put 2.0 video card in a 1.0 motherboard you simple won't have the bandwidth to operate the 2.0 drivers.

PCI-E cards started out with a narrow bandwidth which was designated 1.0.

They still had twice the bandwidth of AGPx8. You can load all the 2.0 drivers you want but if you don't have the machine for it they just won't work.

I think.

PS.: after the reformating of the PC, did you install the GFX card drivers "befor" directX possibly? maybe you just did something in the wrong order?

did CMSF or the demo work befor you reformated the PC?

Well, I wasn´t aware that there is a specific order to install the drivers in. I think, I must have installed the graphics card drivers first - and DirectX when I installed the first game; CM1. I hadn´t installed the CM2 demo before the crash, I sort of DL´ed the demo to see if my new card - and PC in general - would be able to run CM2, when Normandy is released.

@ Schrullenhaft. You write:

"I don't know if the following will help or hurt, but you can try this out to see if it does anything. Type the following in the Run command:

regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\atioglxx.dll"

This will hopefully manually register the DLL file and MAYBE the system will find it."

I´d like to give it at try, but I´m not entirely comfortable with that "I don't know if the following will help or hurt"-bit. What could happen?

Thanks again