WW1 Infantry equipment grogs

Affentitten

I have to do a presentation at my daughter's Cubs unit this week on WW1 and Remembrance day. I need to get a bit interactive because the attention span of the 8-10 year olds is limited.

One thing I thought of doing was demonstrating how much gear a WW1 soldier had to carry. I don't have the equipment, but I could read the list and simulate it with a backpack full of water bottles and a lump of heavy timber for the rifle.

Anyway, can someone help me with a list of what a WW1 Commonwealth infantryman would have been issued with and what it would have roughly weighed?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/2 to 2/3rds of their body weight. It's unrealistic to give Cubs an adult load, but if you scale it, and make them carry it for more than 30 seconds, they may get a better idea.

BTW ... daughters Cubs? Scouting is still segregated here till Venturers.

But you live in NZ: last bastion of chauvinism!

The Scout movement here is co-ed throughout. Girl Guides still exists as a female only institution, but it's dwindling in membership. My daughter's Cub pack would be about 33% female. I guess that if you wanted to fight the court case, you could join Guides as a boy. But I doubt many 10 year old males would be willing to act as the legal guinea pig.

Good idea re the weight. If I stick them with about 15 kilos in a pack and make them run round the hall for a minute that will be fun. Shame I can't make them do it in knee deep mud.

For the craft section they are making a periscope.

Actually what I am going to do is kill them. Not literally of course. But I'm going to divide them up into groups representing the 1914 volunteers. A few will be fine and come home. Others will be lying on the floor dead, others sitting down wounded. Some blind, some mad etc. Maybe 1 of them out of the group will get a medal.

I think that will be more effective with young kids than just sprouting figures that are too big for them to comprehend.

BTW ... daughters Cubs? Scouting is still segregated here till Venturers.

they haven't been segregated for a long time - get into the 21st centrury Jon...or even into the 1990's! lol

From wiki:

In 1976, the first females became members of the Venturer section, on a trial basis. Because of the great success, in 1979, females were formally admitted and the Venturer section became co-ed. In 1987, girls were formally admitted into the Scout section. This was followed by girls being admitted into the Kea and Cub sections in 1989.

Actually what I am going to do is kill them. Not literally of course. But I'm going to divide them up into groups representing the 1914 volunteers. A few will be fine and come home. Others will be lying on the floor dead, others sitting down wounded. Some blind, some mad etc. Maybe 1 of them out of the group will get a medal.

I think that will be more effective with young kids than just sprouting figures that are too big for them to comprehend.

Great pedagogy :)

Affentitten,

Here's the basic list of gear, and from Osprey 16, THE BRITISH TOMMY, the fully loaded number is 70 lbs., including weapon, uniform and kit.

BEF

http://www.great-war-assoc.org/bef_regs.htm

ANZAC

http://www.great-war-assoc.org/aif_regs.htm

Vid of reenacted trench warfare (NOT kitted for going over the top)

http://www.kenttv.com/1306

The Somme (THE going over the top experience) BBC doc

http://www.1914-1918.net/1976somme_mckern.html

Keegan's THE FACE OF BATTLE has a Somme chapter which looks at it from the perspective of a typical Tommy's experience.

If you can find the doc Digging Up the Trenches, that'll be a big help, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

You could also have them stand in a line and then pick them off at random to simulate battle casualties.

EDIT: Pick them off from behind by toutching them in the shoulder using your hand/stick. NOT from in front of them using your gun. Eventhough that could also be demonstrated with a toy gun. ;)

Well I have also demonstrated to my daughter to one of the creative punishments we used to get in the school cadets. Arms out straight in front of you, palms down. Lee Enfield laying across the back of your hands. See you in 15 minutes. If I see your arms drop, you stupid boy, you'll be scrubbing the floor of the Q Store with a toothbrush!