Histwar

blow56

You may not want any discussion on it, but lots of people waiting for the game might have, all of them with a forum on this site. Out of respect for them, you might have given the forum a few days grace before winding it up instead of cutting the entire Grognards deal out of Battlefront. I am a big fan of Battlefront, but that's just plain rude, no matter what hissy-fit you got into with Histwar. So is impyling that the game is cancelled instead of just your agreement to publish it - I thought the guy designing it had died!

Maybe you should have taken a few deep breaths before committing to your actions. Now every other game in the BF canon has to be looked at from the point of view that it might simply vanish from one hour to the next.

Not good business or good sense.

Yeah was really bummed to see this game was canceled. It was really starting to look good too. I don't see a problem with BF not wanting to talk about it, it's their website and their prerogative to do so. Also don't see a problem with leaving a forum thread open so people can at least kinda wave good-bye to it.

You may not want any discussion on it, but lots of people waiting for the game might have, all of them with a forum on this site. Out of respect for them, you might have given the forum a few days grace before winding it up instead of cutting the entire Grognards deal out of Battlefront. I am a big fan of Battlefront, but that's just plain rude, no matter what hissy-fit you got into with Histwar. So is impyling that the game is cancelled instead of just your agreement to publish it - I thought the guy designing it had died!

Maybe you should have taken a few deep breaths before committing to your actions. Now every other game in the BF canon has to be looked at from the point of view that it might simply vanish from one hour to the next.

Not good business or good sense.

Hear, hear.

According to the Histwar site and JMM the game itself has NOT been cancelled, just the agreement with BF. Apparently release is still on before Christmas with a demo this month, although everyone will no doubt choose what size grain of salt to take with that!

I just have to get a post into this thread before it gets locked up!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: Obviously they do not want Histwar to use up any more company resources now that the parted with JMM. Understandable. I also understand that a lot of BFC forumites are offended by BFC closing down that forum. At the moment, I fail to see a possible compromise. Curious, however, is, that the official game site at Battlefront.com was still online when I checked after the forum purge.

PPS: It is still online as this message is typed: http://www.battlefront.com/products/les_grog/.

In case anyone missed it, the Modern Naval Battles game was also canceled today and the forum closed. Thanks to Battlefront for making this official, whatever the circumstances were. Things don't always work out.

It gets more and more interesting.

The respective website hosted by Battlefront.com is also still online.

Best regards,

Thomm

I can fully understand that for whatever reason BFC and JMM had to part way. Surprising it was this late in the game, but I guess stuff happens.

But BFC won no prizes for the manner in which it happened. The "cancelled" message leaves an erroneous impression about HistWar. And the locking of the forum and any comment on it is not appreciated. At all. Whatever sour grapes there may be, it's nothing to do with me, and a few days to discuss this amongst ourselves doesn't seem out of line.

As for the Modern Naval Battles WWII At Sea game... well, it was pretty clear that unlike HistWar that one just wasn't going anywhere. It's sad, but probably for the best that time gets called on it.

Yep, as a marketing scumbag, it's basic knowledge to me that especially when imparting negative news, the means of delivery is more important than the message itself. The lock up was petulant to say the least and bizarre given the way that the BFC fan community was built on open communication and offering that difference of relationship from the big game houses.

Guys, I think Thomm said it best:

Obviously they do not want Histwar to use up any more company resources now that the parted with JMM. Understandable. I also understand that a lot of BFC forumites are offended by BFC closing down that forum. At the moment, I fail to see a possible compromise.

We are in the business of promoting and publishing wargames. Not all wargames out there, only the ones we publish. We will not publish HistWar, therefore we no are no longer promoting it. HistWar received enough promotion from us over the last 5 years so it should be understandable that we aren't interested in extending that promotion.

As for our notification that the project is "cancelled"... it is as far as we are concerned. Will it be published eventually? We have no idea. After 4 years of waiting we've decided not to wait any more.

Since we have a confidentiality agreement with HistWar's creator, and he has one with us, that's about all we can say without being in violation. The gossipers amongst you may wish to fill in the gaps with factless speculation, but we would prefer it not be done here. As the owners and operators of this Forum we have the right to make that decision.

In conclusion... HistWar is cancelled from Battlefront's perspective. We are contractually unable to provide any details, other than to say that we regret that it came to this. Since there is nothing more to be said about it, I'm locking this thread up. For those of you who wish to continue discussing HistWar, please find an alternative venue for it.

Steve