Upgraded to Windows 7 - CMSF not working

Hi everyone. So i upgraded to Windows 7 and alas, CMSF with Marines and BF-bundle didn't want to start. I reinstalled CMSF and the bundle, new NVIDIA-drivers for GT8800 and its still not working.

The internal Windows 7 problem solver says that its not compatible to Windows 7. As others are using CMSF and W7 i think there could be another problem.

What i did:

Vista 32bit to W7 Home Premium

CMSF unlicenced and reinstalled, including Marines / BF Bundle

New video drivers

When starting Shockforce nothing happens. Its just activating its process in the task manager, loads some 5 megabyte and closes its process.

So... any ideas?

Sarjen - Are you using any sort of anti-virus/firewall/internet-security application ? Are you able to re-license CMSF+Marines and do you get a 'success' message ?

The "Runservice.exe" file in the "\Windows\" directory needs to be running. Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to Task Manager and in the Processes tab check to see that it is running. If you don't see it, then go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Service control panel and in here look for "LicCtrl Service" and see if it is 'Started'. If it isn't, highlight it and click the 'play' button in the toolbar above or right-click on it and select 'Start'. If this service is not running, then any Battlefront game that uses eLicense will not run.

Thanks for the answers.

Schrullenhaft: I am running Zone Alarm Security Suite but have CMSF enabled to do what it wants ;) I even deactivated it to give it a try - to no avail.

"Runservice.exe" is running and "LicCtrl Service" is active.

Running it in Vista compatible mode isn't working either.

edit: re-licensing was no problem either.

CMSF is compatible with Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit). The "Vista Compatibility mode" is fairly useless for most games in my opinion and it will mean nothing to most Battlefront titles.

The only thing I can think of will take a bit of effort. When running the game or installing any of the software, make sure to right-click on the executable/shortcut and select "Run as administrator".

1) UNLICENSE CMSF + Marines module (make sure to unlicense both, just so you don't lose an activation).

2) UNINSTALL CMSF + Marines module. If necessary, go to the install directory (after the uninstaller runs) and delete any remaining files manually. However you may want to backup any scenarios, PBEMs that you want to keep.

3) Install CMSF, but do NOT license and run it yet.

4) Install Marines module. License this module and attempt to run the game. You should be at v. 1.10 or 1.11 with the Marines module. Licensing the Marines module alone also licenses the CMSF base-game.

5) If the game doesn't run, then downgrade your Nvidia video driver. The 190 series has some lighting bugs with CMSF, so the 185/186 driver may be a better bet if you want to avoid this bug until it is fixed. A new driver will require a reboot.

6) With the new driver installed, try CMSF again and see if it runs. If it still doesn't run, then check the 'Manage 3D Settings' in the Nvidia Control Panel. Turn "off" Threaded Optimization and select "Single display performance mode" for 'Multi-display / mixed-GPU acceleration'.

7) Hopefully somewhere in this the game has run. Once the game can run, download and install the 1.20 patch for the Marines module (this updates CMSF too).

Thanks again for your answers.

I uninstalled everything and unlicensed. Important missing detail: i have the gamersgate version of the pure CMSF and the BF download British bundle.

I installed the Gamersgate version 1.08 and started it: it works.

I updated with Gamersgate patch 1.10 and started it: it works.

I installed the British Forces bundle and started it with licensing: didn't work - strange, as "Runservice.exe" is running and "LicCtrl Service" is active and the eLicense says its a "success"

Running as administrator doesn't work either.

Next I will deinstall everything and delete the registry entries and install everything from beginning.

To just say it again, i did the same things above on VISTA Home Premium 32bit and CMSF gamersgate is running with British-Forces bundle witout a problem.

I give up. I did everyhting.

It's working as long as i don't install the British Forces Bundle. Once installed its no longer starting but doing the 5 MB process and closing itself. Nothing is seen on the screen.

How can i delete / reinstall runservice.exe and the "LicCtrl Service"? Any ideas as i think in one of them could be my problem?

To get rid of the "LicCtrl Service" you can simply delete the "Runservice.exe" file in your "\Windows\" directory. The 'LicCtrlService' must be Stopped before doing this.

Run the registry editor (Start > Run...> type in "regedit" - without quotes). Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > LicCtrlService. With the 'LicCtrlService' highlighted in the left pane, delete the key (either via Edit menu > Delete or just pressing the Delete key). This key also exists in the keys 'ControlSet001' and 'ControlSet002' (keys right above 'CurrentControlSet'), however I'm not sure if you can directly delete these keys or not. You may receive an error preventing you from deleting them.

The LicCtrlService/Runservice.exe should be reinstalled when you install a Battlefront product that uses eLicense.

When it comes to updating your GamersGate version of CMSF maybe you should stop at 1.08 and THEN install the Marines + British Forces bundle. The bundle will update your base CMSF game to a Battlefront version that will use the Marines + British Forces bundle's eLicense (you will no longer be using the GamersGate licensing on this install).

As previously suggested make sure you are right-clicking on the installer files and selecting "Run as administrator..." from the popup menu. Even if your account is setup as having 'administrator level privileges' - perform this step. Same with running the game initially. Usually this is more of an issue for Windows Vista and its UAC, but suggest doing it for Windows 7 too, just in case.

From what I assume you're saying, the licensing process does come back with a success message, is that correct ? It says that your copy is licensed now ? Do you see the license screen when you first run CMSF after installing the bundle ? I can't recall what comes up with the initial license with the bundle install, does it mention British Forces specifically ?

It's still not working. I have it now installed at my Vista 32 laptop without any problem.

I think there is a problem on the W7 that i can't uninstall every entry of Serials and Licenses. On the Vista install the Elicenser asked me to give the license once for the Marines and once for the British Forces add-on when i launch the game. On W7 it just asks once for the British Forces add onand then ends and doesn't start. Perhaps because i already had it installed and its somewhere deep in the registry.

The Marines / British Forces bundle can only installed on a 1.10 or 1.11 version.

update: i copied the files from the working version on my laptop to the desktop. to no avail. after licensing its not working :(

update2: now i am no longer to install the version because by uninstalling the copied version from the desktop it didnt ask to unlicense .... --- scratch that .. i manually unlicensed it.

You do not HAVE to, but it's definitely better to unlicense and then relicense after the upgrade (or any other major modification to your PC). eLicense CAN recognize your PC even after an upgrade, and we are using a very lenient setting for this, too, but it does not work 100% of the time. Since unlicensing only takes one second (literally, it's just one click), it's definitely better to unlicense and free up your key that way. And if you have patched to 1.21 already, then you will find convenient links to unlicense in your Program Group, too.

Correct, a reinstallation isn't necessary or at least it shouldn't be. Unlicensing is a good idea, just in case something doesn't go right and you lose one of your two activations.

A bigger problem is for customers who may be upgrading from Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. They need to kill their current partition and start from scratch with such "upgrades". That will be a problem with any eLicense game. So unlicensing before upgrading is just a safety measure, but in some cases you do need to do it.