previously unpublished DAK photos!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cpt Mike,

The only drawback is that bulky G36. Man that thing is heavy and bulky. I like my M4

MARS32,

Bulky in compaism to the short M4? Perhaps!

Just adding to the debate:

M4 length with the stock retracted: 757 mm (29.8 in).

G36 length with the stock folded: 758 mm (29.8 in).

The same: the G36 is not so bulky.

M4 weight: 3.1 kg (6.9 lb) with 30 rounds.

G36 weight: 3.63 kg (8 lb) + 0.49 kg (1.1 lb) with the magazine and 30 rounds = 4.12 kg (9.1 lb).

Yes, it's one more kilo (2.3 lb). Still, honestly I've never got tired from carrying a G36 a freaking whole day. It's not a matter of eating too much spinachs, but the rest of the equipment you have to carry on top of you makes the rifle the last thing you'll think about. Oh, I forgot your rank, Captain! ;)

Sorry, that was an easy joke :o I continue:

M4 length with the stock extended: 838 mm (33 in).

G36 length with the stock extracted: 999 mm (39.3 in).

Yes, but:

M4 barrel length: 368 mm (14.5 in).

M4 muzzle velocity: 880 m/s (2,900 ft/s).

G36 barrel length: 480 mm (18.9 in).

G36 muzzle velocity: 920 m/s (3,018 ft/s).

That's the difference that makes the M4 carbine "weaker" compared with the Heckler & Koch G36 assault rifle. One is lighter and with a size more suitable for close combat MOUT operations, the other packs a better punch at longer distances. Carbines and assault rifles, apples and oranges, gentlemen.

About the reliability: I can't tell anything about the M4 since I've never used it, although I've heard that it's very picky with dirt and it's a great fun to clean. About the G36, I've never gone so insane to completely bury it in mud, but I can say that withstands really a lot of dust/dirt and that most jams occur due to bad quality cartridges. What that guy is doing - pushing the flash supressor against the floor, apart of as it has been said, being a bad manner - even if it has a dust cap, it's not such a big trouble. A bit of dust or loose soil that will blow away with the first shot - that it will be quite unaccurate btw, but it's normal that all parts of the rifle will end up touching the ground sooner or later if you are "fighting".

That were my two cents.

Cheers,

Lomir

Flecktarn and northern Germany go together.

I was always puzzled by how easy it is to look at random landscape shots with military training and say which ones are in Germany and which ones are in the U.S., even if no visible units would tell. The green over there is just different. Too much rain I guess.

I think they where ordered to stage for the pic. (no ammo)

The selector is in semi-automatic fire, so either they have just finished shooting in this moment or they are about to fire only one cartridge that has already been fed in the chamber. I can't believe they are such a good actors.

By the way, it looks like the last one is leaning to much backwards, the first one not as much - maybe it's the camera angle, and the one in the middle is fine, although still not in the proper fire combat position - but it may be precision firing, so he shouldn't press his check so much against the stock. And someone should had tell them how to use the sling for better stabilization of the rifle. So, is there a photo where we don't get fussy? :D

Yes, it's one more kilo (2.3 lb). Still, honestly I've never got tired from carrying a G36 a freaking whole day. It's not a matter of eating too much spinachs, but the rest of the equipment you have to carry on top of you makes the rifle the last thing you'll think about.

We carried heavy assault rifles as well and man i can tell you that if there would have been ambush... Well let's just say that reaction times when it comes to shooting wouldn't have been "optimal". Some guys stucked their rifles behind their back somewhere in middle of starps. Well it was on training when worst thing usually was just foul but rich language heard from superiors :rolleyes:

I've noticed that my father, when he held my shotgun first time, was right when he said that it's too heavy for moving hunting. As it is. So it ends up carried in most comfortable ways at the end of day, which are not same ways which allows one to shoot escaping prey (like upland birds) as fast as possible. On still hunting it's good thou.

So yeah i can understand why G36 might be bit big and bulky.

I'm looking forward to commanding G36-, MG4-, and MG3-armed pixeltruppen. :D

Pfft, hearing you girly boys whine makes me sick! Rifles in the both world wars routinely weighed 4 kilograms and were over a metre long. That didn't stop our forefathers from killing whole generations with them, and neither should it hinder us! :D

Um... not to start an argument here, but of the casualties inflicted by small arms in WW1 and WW2, what percentage thereof was inflicted by rifles (not including snipers)?

Geeze... a camo discussion and I show up a few hours late :) Well, better to bore you guys with camo trivia now than never!

Smaragdadler is correct that the Germans have three types of uniforms as regular issue:

Flecktarn - 5 color temperate color fleck based camo

Tropentarn - tropical weight version of Flecktarn

Wüstentarn - 3 color desert version of Tropentarn

These are the official BW names for each uniform. At least the shorter versions of each since they do describe them in more detail as Smaragdadler suggests.

Originally there was only Flecktarn and Tropentarn. They were identically cut and constructed, but Tropentarn was in desert colors. This was in the mid 1990s. Then the Germans correctly figured that warm climates required a slightly different cut of uniform than cooler locations. It also realized that warmer did not necessarily mean arid. So around 2002 (IIRC) they adjusted the cut to have a lighter cloth, mesh armpits, no zipper, and a few other minor modifications (anti-insect chemical treatment too). This was introduced in both desert and regular Flecktarn colors. They then renamed the uniforms as described above.

The Tropentarn uniform is special issue for units serving in places like Greece, Turkey, and other places where it's warm but not necessarily arid. The most common place to see them is with German troops on KFOR and SFOR missions.

There are also two Special Forces uniforms, both in identical cuts and completely different than the standard BW cut. The desert version employs different colors than the BW version. Beautiful stuff.

German Special Forces also toyed around with a uniform in Flecktarn Ripstop with the same cut as US Army ACU. The uniforms were, in fact, made in the US and were worn by forces deployed in the Balkans.

A number of other nations use uniforms with a similar camouflage pattern. However, at present I don't think any do except for the Danes. The Danish versions, temperate and desert, are direct copies of German Flecktarn but with fewer colors. The Belgians used a direct copy of two different German Flecktarn patterns, both of which were used during the 1990s and were based on the German issue or the earlier 1976 experimental type (there were 3 such types) that was never adopted. The Chinese had both green and a brown based uniforms for a short period, now they have "digital" types instead. Polish police special forces units used both green and urban copies of German Flecktarn, but I don't think either are still in service.

That's about it ;)

Steve

Um... not to start an argument here, but of the casualties inflicted by small arms in WW1 and WW2, what percentage thereof was inflicted by rifles (not including snipers)?

I don't think that any source is able to pick bolt lock rifles separate from other infantry squad weapons like SMG's and LMG's. But artillery certainly did most of the work, followed by machine guns, tanks and other direct fire guns and so on.

But my statement certainly is correct - whole generations with rifles were killed! :P

Going back to the G36 and M4 thing..I've fired both. I just dont understand that HUGE handle on top of the rifle. Thats what makes it bulky.

I think the G36C is pretty damn sexy though. Put an ACOG on that thing, and you've got an Army officer SOLD!

BTW. STEVE - can I get the 'LT' changed to 'CPT' ? Been a captain for a few months now.

Going back to the G36 and M4 thing..I've fired both. I just dont understand that HUGE handle on top of the rifle. Thats what makes it bulky.

I think the G36C is pretty damn sexy though. Put an ACOG on that thing, and you've got an Army officer SOLD!

BTW. STEVE - can I get the 'LT' changed to 'CPT' ? Been a captain for a few months now.

...but that thing is good to carry the rifle.

Im totaly happy with the G36, just a accurate and solid weapon !

Pfft, hearing you girly boys whine makes me sick! Rifles in the both world wars routinely weighed 4 kilograms and were over a metre long. That didn't stop our forefathers from killing whole generations with them, and neither should it hinder us! :D

Yeah. Like i said in ambush situation we probably would have been killed :D

Besides i'm not girly man, i can live years playing XboX and eating chips and pizza. One month i lived with cocroaches and flies which wandered near my coach as nobody charged my cellphone's battery, heartless bastards. My manboobs are far from girly. Tell me name of the man who did that pre-ww2. You can't, can you?! I knew it.