previously unpublished DAK photos!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have zero ideas about firearms, but sticking the muzzle into the sand does not strike me as a particularly good idea.

Best regards,

Thomm

Probably not going to get enough sand back in the chamber to cause a stoppage (G36s are pretty tough to start with), but yeah, it's better to avoid that. I'm not exactly sure how sand fickle the G36 is.

If he just shakes it off before raising it to any position that sand could fall back down the barrel, he'd be fine.

I'm reminded of a story told here long ago. Lets hope I recall it correctly.

Special forces (I can't recall which country) were going through a test obstacle course. Besides the usual stuff, the course ended with a disassembled Russian SMG that the soldier had to quickly assemble and fire. Soldier after soldier failed to get the weapon to fire after assembling. But one soldier had a clever idea. After assembling, he got on his knee and plunged the weapon into the mud at his feet. Afer getting it thoroughly grimey he pulled the trigger - and it fired! Don't try this with an M16. :)

Man, I love that Tropentarn uniform. Why the hell couldn't we make a smart uniform like that?

They probably had 10,000 German engineers work that up for a year or so.

The camouflage seems to be impressive but keep in mind that in prolonged combat all soldiers assume the color of the soil.

They probably had 10,000 German engineers work that up for a year or so.

The camouflage seems to be impressive but keep in mind that in prolonged combat all soldiers assume the color of the soil.

They probably also didn't have an overly politicized procurement system that rejected the results of testing. I'm aware of what soldiers look like after getting dirty.

Now I have zero ideas about firearms, but sticking the muzzle into the sand does not strike me as a particularly good idea.

Best regards,

Thomm

Considering how thick the muzzle looks I bet he has the dust cover on. when I was in the swedish army we had dust covers for our AK5s that we had on the muzzle all the time when not firing. that was untill we forgot to remove it before firing :cool:

I could see how a muzzle cap like we had would be useful in the desert.

On the other hand its still bad manner to put the gun down like that.

Man, the Germans know how to do things right.

Their uniforms have great camo

Their body armor looks WAY more comfortable than ours (and protects the same)

Their combat shirts look way more comfortable than our 'combat shirts'

And

They're allowed to grow facial hair.

The only drawback is that bulky G36. Man that thing is heavy and bulky. I like my M4

Bulky in compaism to the short M4? Perhaps!

But heavy? I don´t think so.

The G36 is a formidable weapon with a lot of advantages, I don´t think it´s a drawback! :cool:

By the way: We have to shorter versions in the Bundeswehr, too.

The G36 K (kurz) and the G36 C (commando)

g36ccomparison.jpg

Don't really want to dabble in camouflage grogism, but this particular derivate of Flecktarn is called "Wüstentarn" [= 'desert camouflage').

It's a 3-colour flecktarn for hot and dry areas.

There is a version called "Tropentarn" [= 'tropical camouflage'], but afaik it's the standard 5-colour (middle European woodland) Flecktarn with thinner fabric and little holes at the appropriate places, meant to be used in hot and humid climate.

There is also a 3- colour 'woodland' Flecktarn for north European woodland, used by the Danish army. They also have their own 'Wüstentarn'-version.

Then there is also a the Chinese Type 03 Plateau Camouflage, which is the (stolen) 5-colour BW Flecktarn in brownish colours used in Tibet.

And there are of course commercial variants.

Don't really want to dabble in camouflage grogism, but this particular derivate of Flecktarn is called "Wüstentarn" [= 'desert camouflage').

It's a 3-colour flecktarn for hot and dry areas.

There is a version called "Tropentarn" [= 'tropical camouflage'], but afaik it's the standard 5-colour (middle European woodland) Flecktarn with thinner fabric and little holes at the appropriate places, meant to be used in hot and humid climate.

There is also a 3- colour 'woodland' Flecktarn for north European woodland, used by the Danish army. They also have their own 'Wüstentarn'-version.

Then there is also a the Chinese Type 03 Plateau Camouflage, which is the (stolen) 5-colour BW Flecktarn in brownish colours used in Tibet.

And there are of course commercial variants.

And I don't want to become involved in a camouflage-grog discussion, Smaragdadler, but the proper name is Steppentarn ('steppe camouflage'). ;)

Steppentarn is sometimes called "Wüstentarn" ('desert camouflage') in English-speaking sources, from the fact that it has been deployed in desert environments. And you are right when saying that the "Tropentarn" ('tropical camouflage') doesn't exist per se: it's the standard Flecktarn ('dot camouflage') on a light-weight fabric to wear in tropical climates.

And these Chinese! they are amazing: they manage to make copies of everything!! :P

I better now leave this round of evolving Flecktarncamouflagegrognology, but not without the remark that 'Wüsten-', 'Tropen-' and maybe 'Steppentarn' (?) are all not official designation.

Don't nail me on it, but its something like

'Wüstentarn' = Feldanzug Tropen in 3-Farben-Tarndruck für den Klimabereich A (heiß und trocken)

'Tropentarn' = Feldanzug Tropen in 5-Farben Tarndruck für Klimabereich B (heiß und feucht)