Is Dropteam Dead?

mercerre

Is TBGSoftware dead? Dropteam, also? The TBG Software web site (www.tbgsoftware.com) seems to have been taken over by a third party. When I try to register Dropteam, I'm told there is a problem with my firewall or proxy server allowing access to port 9961 @ tbgsoftware.com. But whether I open TCP port in my firewall or turn it off completely, I get the same error.

Does this also mean that I'm no longer able to update Dropteam? The version I have is 1.3.0, but I seem to recall that the final version was 1.3.3. I have no updater folder in my installation so I'm clueless how to update it.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

V/R

Bob Mercer

Isn't it possible that full version of Drop Team comes out free? Who holds the rights for this game? It's a shame such a great game died, and it would be wonderful to see it revived as a free open source project. I am pretty sure there would be people who would have interest into running a project like this.

Same problem here.

Linux Demo:

This is what happens when I run the updater.

*****@*****:~/DropTeam$ ./runUpdate.sh 

--21:41:36--  http://tbgsoftware.com/DropteamUpdate/Lock.dat

=> `Lock.dat'

Resolving tbgsoftware.com... 96.31.33.25

Connecting to tbgsoftware.com|96.31.33.25|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

21:41:36 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Updating - hold <ESC> to cancel

Checking platform 'GUNIX' files...

Executing: rm -rf GUNIXFileList.txt

Executing: wget http://tbgsoftware.com/DropteamUpdate/GUNIXFileList.txt

--21:41:36--  http://tbgsoftware.com/DropteamUpdate/GUNIXFileList.txt

=> `GUNIXFileList.txt'

Resolving tbgsoftware.com... 96.31.33.25

Connecting to tbgsoftware.com|96.31.33.25|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

21:41:36 ERROR 404: Not Found.

FAILED
When I run the game, I get exactly the same error as mercerre. This is what happens when I try to see if the servers are running:

****@****:~/DropTeam$ telnet tgbsoftware.com 9961

telnet: could not resolve tgbsoftware.com/9961: Name or service not known

****@****:~/DropTeam$ telnet www.tgbsoftware.com 9961

Trying 72.74.248.67...

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Sure looks to me like the servers are down.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to mention that since there's no servers, every time I go into Network and hit Refresh, it just cycles and never gets me anything. No patches also means no fixing of that annoying bug where every click you made just depressed the Players tab in the Tactical screen and got me nowhere. And where DropTeam 2? It's been over 2 years since I last heard from Clay about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

This sucks, can't they even release the game as abandonware? Or even sell it as is with the lastest update? I'd buy it, the only game getting close to Hammer's slammers there is and it's dead when I first hear about it... I'd still pay around 40 bucks for the damn game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

DT had some bugs but it was a very fun game and had some great concepts. BF should do a kickstarter to see how much interest there is in revamping this title and generate some funding. I would definitely put in some cash!

Yeah!

I was very disappointed the last time I tried to play and found I couldn't because the registration server wasn't running any more.

• 1 month later...