Strategic Command European Theater (SC ET) Core File Corruption

John_in_VA

I'm trying to resolve an issue I began seeing with SC ET after I purchased and installed SC2 Blitzkrieg normally in its default (different) install folder. When I try to start SC ET (with original CD in the drive and the game patched to v1.07), it aborts with the error message "Core files appear to have been corrupted. Program Terminated." I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and patching it; the first time or two it runs ok, but then the same error pops up and persists even after a system reboot. The only way out seems to be to repeat the uninstall/reinstall/patch cycle (i.e., lather, rinse, and repeat), but again, after a few successful program starts it happens again. I haven't tried uninstalling SC2 yet, but that's a possible next avenue of exploration, since I didn't see the behavior occur until after installing SC2.

Has anyone else seen this annoying behavior? Know of a fix? Thanks.

R/John

SC2 shouldn't have an effect on SC1 at all as they are two separate installations.

Can you confirm that you purchased the Battlefront version of the game and installed the Battlefront version of the v1.07 patch? I only ask as different combinations from different sellers may introduce this error message as they are not compatible etc.

Hubert

SC2 shouldn't have an effect on SC1 at all as they are two separate installations.

Can you confirm that you purchased the Battlefront version of the game and installed the Battlefront version of the v1.07 patch? I only ask as different combinations from different sellers may introduce this error message as they are not compatible etc.

Hubert

Thanks for the quick response and for confirming that SC2 isn't the issue. Yes, I have the physical CD purchased from Battlefront and downloaded the 1.07 patch again fresh from this site to make sure it's the right one. I notice that when SC is uninstalled, XP doesn't delete the SC1 folder and files! Apparenty all it may be doing is removing the icon and the program listing in the registry, so a subsequent reinstall may not overwrite them. So this time I uninstalled, deleted all the old files and folders, reinstalled and patched. Hopefully that will get it, because I want to try the new maps posted here. :) Thanks again.

R/John

Hubert

Hubert,

As a follow up, I uninstalled SC1, ensured all files & folders were deleted, reinstalled, and then patched with the download from this site. Again, it worked insitially, but after powering down & back up, I get the same error. SC2, while in a different folder, is the only thing I can think of, since SC1 worked fine for the longest even with community mods until I installed SC2. I suppose uninstalling SC2 is the next try, since honestly if I must choose between the two, I'd choose SC1.

R/John