Suggestions

Boris Balaban

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how it will be realised without property "stealth"?

There is. Bomber class4 (the B2-like one) doesn't have "Radar Visible" tag, which means radars don't see it. Simple.

Even if it wasn't so easy, it would be simple to do with the ruleset. Just make a tag "invisiblebastard" and give all units a zero sight range against "invisiblebastard". Just like nothing in the game could see submarines until last patch.

As for diplomacy, I don't know. It seems ok to me, except that AI won't cooperate at all (I never managed to get an alliance or treaty with them, except "peace") and I haven't found a way to bring their relations percentage up.

The only things you can do with the AI is trade resources for prices a bit better than the standard market, kill them or show them mercy and kill them later.

But the whole system is fine IMO.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/chinese-submarine-fleet-growing-analysts-t54821.html

Worldwide sub fleets have been decreasing ever since WW2 as counter-measures are seen to be pretty effective. The cost of a high-tech sub is about $2billion or half the cost of a super carrier so they are incredibly expensive in their later incarnations and the idea of having such a vessel chasing transports seems funny.

Well, as someone else said modern subs are hardly the leaky el cheapo rust buckets of yore, so yeah cost per sub has understandably gone up and they can almost be seen as quasi-capital ships now (tho I probably shouldn't try to complete the analogy). It has been strongly speculated that, if it came to a full-blown, Red Storm Rising-style naval shooting war with the pre-breakup USSR fleet, that not much in the way of floating vessels would still be floating 6 months in. Subs have to still be considered the most dangerous kind of naval ship you could face; the boys who play Dangerous Waters might be able to show you a thing or two. And, if it was part of their doctrine, the Russian fleet could have easily have played havoc with NATO cross-Atlantic convoys if desired.

There is. Bomber class4 (the B2-like one) doesn't have "Radar Visible" tag, which means radars don't see it. Simple.

Even if it wasn't so easy, it would be simple to do with the ruleset. Just make a tag "invisiblebastard" and give all units a zero sight range against "invisiblebastard". Just like nothing in the game could see submarines until last patch.

I had in view of not a total blackout of a radar but only decrease their possibilities. In stealth era they become useless in struggle against planes.

As for diplomacy, I don't know. It seems ok to me, except that AI won't cooperate at all...

It means that for the most players which will play only a single game, the diplomacy will be absent.

I have an idea how should work diplomacy for AI. This model is enough simple and logical, so each beginner will master it intuitively. To continue? ;)

I had in view of not a total blackout of a radar but only decrease their possibilities. In stealth era they become useless in struggle against planes.

It means that for the most players which will play only a single game, the diplomacy will be absent.

I have an idea how should work diplomacy for AI. This model is enough simple and logical, so each beginner will master it intuitively. To continue? ;)

Well, first of all, every unit that has a radar also has a sight range of its own. If radar doesn't work, the unit will still normally see the incoming "stealth bomber". That effectively "decreases its possibilities".

We could go ever further. A brutal way to do this would be to create new tags - Stealthy, VeryStealthy,. ... and give radar-equipped units various sight ranges against RadarVisible , Stealthy, VeryStealthy.

It will all be pretty simple when I can get my hands on the ruleset editor, mwahahahaa ;p

As for diplomacy - it's not the diplomacy that's screwed. It is the AI's attitude to diplomacy.

Brit might spend some time to work on that, I think. If he finds time.

Another tiny request from me - some kind of warning when resources are reaching zero. Particularly Food. I dunno, flashing red number or a warning box popping up at the start/end of turn that would say "Your people are gonna die if you don't get some food, noob".

It is really irritating to play 200 rounds, get caught up in some tactical maneuvers, forget about the food counter and have your cities murdered because of it.

You don't necessarily look right at the counter now that we have a hotkey for submitting orders, and food shortage warning disappears among hundreds of other warnings on the list to the left. Particularly when there's combat going on.

I don't mind having my research, upgrades or construction stopped. But having population irreversibly slaughtered en masse because you forgot about it...

1. collapsable unit list

2. hot key for city build view

3. hot key for view where all unit destinations/orders are show. But in order for that to work, the lines would probably have to be thin lines. Blue-move, red-attack, green- automove (rally)

4. When issuing a normal move/attack order, it's hard to tell how many turns that destination would be reached without using mouse-over on the end point. To make it clearer and lowering the user-fatigue, it would be better if some of the small dots on the line where a bit larger or another color to indicate one turn ETA.

n3's point about negative food. maybe when hitting 'done', any negative resources would bring a warning box, "do you really what to end the turn?" y/n. (done that myself, negative food).

would like 'replay turn', speed controls. allot of times things just fly past and can't see what happened.

Yet another suggestion.

Please make it possible to queue big ships when shipyard is nearing completion.

It is annoying to have shipyard with 0.1/4.0 turns left to complete and yet having to wait for the next turn to queue that cruiser or BB.

Bugs in 0.97.8806:

1. ETA for sea groups is in 3 times more than really.

2. Spy sees a submarine at resources.

3. Aircraft crash by landing on a carrier with "out fuel" message even if range of flight is not exceeded.

4. Barracks reduce food consumption always, not irrespective of a unit is inside a city or not.

5. UAV tactic bomber need food (all other UAVs not).

Suggestions:

1. To exclude from the "Need Additional Orders" list units which have an order (fight, load, unload, build airbase etc.) after movement end.

- To hide contents of "Sightings", "Combat Reports" and another lists on a first tab in link panel by click on a header. Bold header or dark grau background if contents of a list hide.

- Filter by countries and unit type (ships, aircraft, land units) for the lists.

3. All buttons on second tab in left panel should have hot key.

4. World "Message" (over the link panel) is bold only if you have message on current turn.

5. The order for the ship "to pursue" (for follow the submarines in a peace time).

6. Zones control. Now it is possible to build airbase on island occupied with the opponent without declaration of war.

7. Partially or completely (dependence from tech?) to hide units on transport.

8. Carrier:

- Co-ordinates of the aircraft concerning a carrier. It will be possible to set patrol order for aicraft based on a carrier.

- Warning if on a carrier not more place. Or better, to forbid aircraft moving on a carrier if there not more places.

- Do not show the pop-up menu by moving aircraft on a carrier if in group only one carrier (all ships from group are now shown in pop-up). If carriers in group more than 1 then to show only carriers in pop-up.

9. Scroll map with down right mouse button.

10. Timer increases with number of groups and cities.

11. Reduce iron on map.

unelegancy

- Fertilizer Factory too long

ffactory.png

Info about bug report n.3 "Aircraft crash"

planecrash.th.jpg

Save

Suggestions:

12. In the National Summary - Unit list remove non used (only column dead is >0) units to bottom (like technologies list). Select units and show their on minimap by click in row.

I'd like the ability to remove city improvements from cities you own. This could lead to a scorched earth policy when you're being forced to retreat and could also be useful for guerrilla style hit and run attacks on undefended towns.

Specifcally, I was losing a fight for an island. I was down to one infantry in the last city on that island, the only city with barracks. Two higher class tanks, both with one damage were converging on the city. I had two tanks steaming towards the island as reinforcements, but they were about 3 turns away. If I could have removed the barracks, I would have been facing damaged tanks with mine (my tanks were lower class than the enemy), giving me a decent shot at winning back the island. As it was, he was able to repair his tanks in time to swat away my attempt to recapture the island.

I could see where it could take some time to remove an improvement, maybe 1-2 turns per improvement. It could also require a unit in the city to do so.

Repairs are too quick, imo. Should a battleship that limps into port with one hp remaining be as good as new in 3 turns? It should be out of commission for longer. I'd say either bump it up to 2, preferably 3 turns per hp, or, even better, have repair time as some ratio of build time according to the repairing city's production. Maybe 1/8 of the build time per hp, so a city that can produce a battleship in 32 turns, for example, could repair a battleship at the rate of 1hp per 4 turns.

I'd like the ability to remove city improvements from cities you own. This could lead to a scorched earth policy when you're being forced to retreat and could also be useful for guerrilla style hit and run attacks on undefended towns.

Specifcally, I was losing a fight for an island. I was down to one infantry in the last city on that island, the only city with barracks. Two higher class tanks, both with one damage were converging on the city. I had two tanks steaming towards the island as reinforcements, but they were about 3 turns away. If I could have removed the barracks, I would have been facing damaged tanks with mine (my tanks were lower class than the enemy), giving me a decent shot at winning back the island. As it was, he was able to repair his tanks in time to swat away my attempt to recapture the island.

I could see where it could take some time to remove an improvement, maybe 1-2 turns per improvement. It could also require a unit in the city to do so.

I like that idea.

If you capture a city you start to dismantal it before they take it back?:eek:

Destroy structures in cities you captured - yea, nice idea. Simple and strategically sound.

Slower repair - not necessary imo, ships take long enough to sail between theaters; if they had to park for a dozen turns each time they win a fight, they'd be kinda useless.

Map labels - very good idea. Brit, you might even consider making modifiable 'locations' as placable objects. We can make cities, give them names and add population. Why not be able to place a fortification, give it a name and add a defensive bonus?

Yes, I suppose there's some historical precedent for that, too. Example: The Soviets in WW2 used a scorched earth policy in the face of Nazi invasion, and armies wreaked havoc on cities in the American Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

Suggestion: add the possibility to put labels on map, in the editor. For example 'Maginot Line' nearby a fortress in France, El Alamein in Egypt (the location does not warrant a city), etc. Would add flavor to scenarios.

This idea does seem to be popular, because I've heard other people suggest the same thing. If the map is entirely visible, it would be easy to implement because I would just show all the labels all the time. But, if the map is unknown, it gets a little more complicated. I don't think we'd want labels appearing on the map over unknown areas. Do players reveal letters as they explore a territory (e.g. if they are in Egypt, can a player discover the "E" but not the rest of the word?) or should the entire word appear suddenly when an area is discovered? The later would probably be the best option, but I'll have to think about how and when a label appears on the map.

Great game, I played the original Empire plenty, and this captures the flavour and then some.

Some suggestions:

How about when setting up repeat orders, there's some way to see what has been done before. I like to have a few planes flying patrols to check for oncoming transports, and when I'm setting up the patrol orders it would be nice to see where other patrols are already going.

Linked rally points: If you set an air rally point from town A to town B, then from B to C, a plane produced in A should fly to C via B without further orders. It's good to produce planes in the rear areas and fly them to the front because they get their quickly, but this can be multiple hops. In theory you could do the same with ship and land rally points, although there would seem to be much less need.