India, somebody please educate me

Okay, I don't read many books, I confess. The King James Bible is my entire library. I get my history from movies.

I'd like to discuss India during WW-2. Why was it important? What resources did the British take from them? I understand the Burma Road going to China, but is that it? How many troops did the British have there? What was the government doing & who's side are they on? What's up with the Ghandi dude? I saw the movie as a kid with Ben Kingsley. It's was a friend's birthday party, and his mom took us to that. I was like, dude, are you for real? I wanna see something cool, it's your party and your mom is making us going to this lame-O four hour movie, I feel asleep. Not only that, she made us sneak popcorn in lunch brown bags, she was cheap.

So why is India worth anything in WW-2?

Indian role during ww2 in Europe was mainly of supportive nature. The send food and many raw materials (e.g. After the fall of Malaya, Ceylon had become the main British rubber source).

Some troops were used against the Italian and Germans in the Med.

On the Burma/India front India contributed the most soldiers there. I think it were about 4/5 of the land Forces.

Dont forget: Rommel wanted to meet the Japs there ^^.

Cheers

Dominik

John J Rambo, i think you come from USA, right? so to explain the need of

India for UK i may use an example:

What would USA do without California? What would Obama do if Schwarzenegger's Parliament in Sacramento would declare Independence?:eek:

So if you have the answer to these you may imagine how King George felt about the Indian Independence mouvement....:D while he knew about the Resources coming from there, human, raw material, energy , and food.:D not to forget the sunny beaches, like in California...

PGH, understand that you are the pricinple designer of the "World Campaign"?

Could you enlighten us about how some of the gameplay flows, specifically entry and variations of the major participants? Perhaps a brief summary of chronology, theater by theater, that has been observed in your testing?

Is there a possibility that the Axis could reach some sort of stalemate condition with the Western Hemisphere?:cool:

Finally, I would like to extend my great appreciation for your efforts, looking very forward to trying your campaign out.:)

Hi SeaMonkey,

Off hand I'd say it is still a bit early to report on some of these details but rest assured we'll have more info as well as likely an AAR for everyone to get a better idea of what to expect game play wise.

That being said though, I think you can imagine that much of the game play is still action/reaction specific and in the earlier years Axis have a lot of control, i.e. depending on their game play, over the entry of the major participants like the US (overall) and the Commonwealth in the Pacific Theater.

Nice thing about the SC game system is that it flows depending on how the game is played, i.e. want to go a bit crazy as the Japanese in the Pacific? Well that is all well and good but don't expect to not upset a few of the neighboring heavy weights if you know what I mean ;)

Hubert

Thanks for the clarification Hubert, by the way, how's the back? I figured, no I'd hoped, it still might be early, that way our many complimentary suggestions have some ability to mold things.

No reason to rush this out and I know a lot of our discussions are a rehash of what we've talked about over the years. You being the most competent game designer of all time,:) I'm sure many of the good suggestions have been noted.

By the way, thanks for letting this out of the bag, its nice to have the forum discourse stimulated. Now doubt the well known SC logic path will continue as the gameplay dynamics certainly emphasize flow.

I will be looking for that AAR, a great way to market a game, and hope that back is as good as new.

As to India, it was many things. A huge resource of men for the British Armed forces - especially the Army. It was a huge resource of money and manufacturing resources as well. Not to mention a base to keep China in the war by supplying them, and to wear down the Japanese by making them fight for Burma, etc.

If the Japanese had conquered India it would have been a huge blow not only to Allied morale, but to the British ability to continue the war.

PGH, understand that you are the pricinple designer of the "World Campaign"?

Could you enlighten us about how some of the gameplay flows, specifically entry and variations of the major participants? Perhaps a brief summary of chronology, theater by theater, that has been observed in your testing?

Well i leave the word to Hubert, but i hope he's ok when i tell you that, speaking of the "Western Hemisphere" playing Axis or Allies, if you liked the first Pirates of The Caribbean with Jap Sparrow, or Indiana Jones, then you may also like some details that i hope will give a guess of possible Axis-Treasure-quests in the Caribbean:D . Most people dont know this Treasure story, but i think they will have a lot of fun for HvH games.

I give you just a hint: CV "Béarn" and CG "Emile Bertain" . Just look in Google and find the where and what's the treasury:p or simply wait a little and play the Treasure quest, but you must be a little better then Jack Sparrow:D

I have seen the movie "Slumdog Millionaire". I've worked with some Indian dudes, they take alot of naps during the day. This Indian friend dude had a Nazi swatztica he would pray in his car everytime he parked. Indian dudes play cricket & soccer. The also have caste systems for marriage. Their food is decent enough. Can't say I'm much for the Orange clothes.

Hey I got you PGH, French naval vessels ehhh, but ahem...a guided missile cruiser:eek:, that's a bit farfetched for WW2 don't you think?

Course then again there were those rocket firing LSTs. That maybe quite interesting.

Thanks for "a little taste of honey".:)

Sorry you got me wrong. it's the normal old Cruiser laid down in 1931. there are no "Wonder-Weapons" for France, sorry :D would be a little too easy if it would be this modern one...:rolleyes: but you know, the Caribbean allways held a lot of treasurys up to today. so for your Treasury quest you may better look for the historic Cruiser

Oh : just reading in the "Mt. Adam Sun" Newspaper from Apr. 18 1940, that it was up to this time, "the richest cargo any ship ever carried". wow!

They actually were rather lazy - the British had to bring in people from the UK to get the railroads operating properly, it was very hard to do. It had more to do with cultural attitudes, and of course castes and such, as how much motivation to work hard do you get if you can't advance? Witness how well they do in the West now. India itself is getting better too - but it takes time to move millenia of intertia. That was a Hindu symbol, reverse of swastika - but u probably know that :)

• 3 weeks later...

The importance of India in WW2 - Wiki's answer.

The financial, industrial and military support of India formed a crucial component of the British campaign against the Axis powers. India's strategic location at the tip of the Indian Ocean, its massive production of armaments, and its huge armed forces contributed decisively in halting the progress of Imperial Japan in the South-East Asian theatre. The Army of India was one of the largest Allied forces contingents which took part in the North and East African Campaign, Western Desert Campaign and the Italian Campaign. At the height of the World War, more than 2.5 million Indian troops were fighting Axis forces around the globe.

After the end of the World War, India emerged as the world's fourth largest industrial power and its increased political, economic and military influence paved the way for its independence from the United Kingdom in 1947.

So, basically the importance of India to Britain was Men, Guns, Money.