New Features

OK, so we have Surface Raiders and the ability to blockade ports, accolades to Hubert and the team!

But.....well OK...I'm a bit spoiled..I want more..a lot more!

So...Hubert?.....Moon?.....Betas?

What else will be "new" features? SC has been in this format for quite awhile now and there are already excellent World campaigns. What have you got to earn my money?

Entice me!.......and "them" too.

Hate to say, but Hubert and company are acting like Bureaucrats with this top secret expansion. I mean they either tell you the obvious (it's on a global scale), or they mention a feature but describe it extremely vaguely. They haven't even told us about what the campaigns will be, or if there is any post-war campaigns.

Hate to say, but Hubert and company are acting like Bureaucrats with this top secret expansion. I mean they either tell you the obvious (it's on a global scale), or they mention a feature but describe it extremely vaguely. They haven't even told us about what the campaigns will be, or if there is any post-war campaigns.

Go on, make a case for Hubert owing you a god damn thing.

I'm sorry my last post must have been misconceived, Hubert doesn't owe me anything. I'm just with anyone who would like to know a little more info about this expansion before we buy it; it's as simple as that. If you would like to live in the dark, and not know anything about what you're purchasing that's fine with me, but I won't do the same. I suppose either way though I'll probably end up buying anything Hubert puts out there, because there always excellent and fun to play.

Perhaps I reacted a little stronger then I should have, but you really did come across as an annoying 5 year old.

You basically throwing around accusations of secrecy because they haven't told you everything little detail about a product that has only just been announced.

If you would like to live in the dark, and not know anything about what you're purchasing that's fine with me, but I won't do the same.
is just laughably over the top at this stage. If you have questions then ask them. Politely.

Elmar I'll openly admit I did act like a little annoying 5 year old lol, and I sincerely apologize for that. At the same time I am getting quite a few laughs from it.

Timskorn,

Would you be interested in some sort of a re-match? Maybe not now but a little later on, as I'm really busy right now.

Hey Scottsmm, I'd like to try. I'm sort of in PC limbo right now. I have to wait another month or two before I can get a new one, and my current one is on zee fritz. I think currently installed programs are OK, but any downloaded programs won't work right. So I'm pretty sure I can play, but I'll have to use whatever version is currently on the HD. I'm also going on vaca for a couple of weeks so maybe mid-October we can look to starting a game up again. It's been awhile since I played anyone!!

Remember the complaints of units that seem to be omnipotent because they can reinforce turn after turn if their supply source remains undisturbed?

Now we have all observed that Strategic Bombers, Rockets and shore bombarding naval units will cause damage to the infrastructure and slowly erode the supply efficiency away thereby minimizing an occupying units ability to reinforce.

Also as a byproduct of those strategic attacks we sometimes see the occupying unit actually take a strength reduction, but only occasionally.

Doesn't it seem logical that the reciprocal should also be true? Meaning that when ground units attack, the byproduct of that attack should also be the occasional hit to the supply efficiency, sometimes referred to as collateral damage.

Since our SC units contain the abstract concept of combined arms surely you can see the reasoning of adding such a feature and now those defending units that seem so resilient, won't be so anymore, but only slightly as the feature's only a random activation.

Alright well whenever you're ready Tim just send me an email. I'm sort of busy right now too so I'm almost glad to hear you’re not ready to go right away.

One thing, I will say is do not buy an XPS laptop, or dell anything for that matter. It doesn't matter if you spend a few thousand bucks on the thing it will fall apart magically after the first full year of coverage. It's amazing to me how companies give you such good coverage when you don't need it, and the day the warranty ends your hard drive crashes, you're plastic keys fall out, system overall speed deteriorates, etc.

Just a note from a different perspective, although I've never had the high end XPS model, I got my first Dell in 1996.

Now I've owned 4, including two laptops and never a problem with the hardware. The OS have been another thing, Windows 95 and ME were both crap, had to reformat the HD and load 98SE and Win2000pro.

I have replaced a cooling fan and have upgraded RAM, Video cards and installed larger HDs on the reformats, with no detrimental effects.

I wouldn't buy anything else, we use them exclusively at work, but we never buy the high end stuff, always seconds.

I have to be honest I think there are lemon laptops out there, and I unfortunately for me I got a lemon. The first year I was blown away by this laptop, now it's a little different story to say the least. I have a 9 cell lithium OEM battery, along with a 90 watt charger, which for the most part my laptop is almost always plugged into.

My laptop 2 months ago could load a normal file size game in about 5-6 secs, now it's more like 9-15 secs. I got the hard drive replaced, and they didn't tell me what they replaced it with... They just said they replaced the hard drive and they don't know what the replacement one is, so needless to say I might be in big trouble later on.

AZGungHo, I thought about getting the XPS M1330, but decided against it due it's lack of performance upgrades. Needless to say for the amount that was spent on it, I feel like my laptop should have turbo busters on the back of it with a life long warranty :).

I have to be honest I think there are lemon laptops out there, and I unfortunately for me I got a lemon. The first year I was blown away by this laptop, now it's a little different story to say the least. I have a 9 cell lithium OEM battery, along with a 90 watt charger, which for the most part my laptop is almost always plugged into.

My laptop 2 months ago could load a normal file size game in about 5-6 secs, now it's more like 9-15 secs. I got the hard drive replaced, and they didn't tell me what they replaced it with... They just said they replaced the hard drive and they don't know what the replacement one is, so needless to say I might be in big trouble later on.

AZGungHo, I thought about getting the XPS M1330, but decided against it due it's lack of performance upgrades. Needless to say for the amount that was spent on it, I feel like my laptop should have turbo busters on the back of it with a life long warranty :).

When they replaced your hard drive, did they give you a clean install or did they just copy an image of your old HD to your new one?

If they didn't give you a clean install, I would suggest backing up all your data, reformatting the HD and then re-installing everything from scratch. This is often the only way to 'cure' a slow PC.

Before doing that, I would get some ghosting software to ghost your current drive before and after.

Before, so you have a secondary backup in case all goes horribly wrong (like you can't find a hw driver).

After so you can now always get back to this clean install whenever your PC gets slow. I do this about every 6 months with my PC and it works great. Just make sure to keep track of all your software licenses and keep your data backed up.

BTW, MAKE SURE TO 'UNLICENSE' ANY BATTLEFRONT SOFTWARE FIRST. Otherwise, you may run out of licenses.

Personally if you want to buy a PC, research the parts, buy it custom, and put it together yourself. I suggest buying the parts from one location. I have only had custom PCs and rarely do they break. The current one I have now is close to 3 years old duo-core 2.13 Asus MB with 4gb. Just be sure to check everything on the parts when you 1st run the PC. When buying custom parts they tend to arrive DOA at a higher frequency than buying a prepacked PC. For example you might get a motherboard that works but the Sound or NIC doesnt. Its worth it though.

As for PC slowness. Windows just adds more and more crap to your PC as time moves on. Like I have a C: OS drive, D: a data/programs drive, and a backup E: data/programs drive. I format E: like once a month then copy the all of D: to E: and I find I actually gain HD space when I do so even though its a straight copy. Hmm hidden files?

I might upgrade soon and I think I will keep my old PC as an application PC/Poker PC and the new one strictly gaming. Some applications really suck up load times and most apps dont need a massive processor to run. Games do with all the fancy graphics.

Here is masterclaude. I second Sir Aesopo's request. AI speed, of course, is not a problem for the few ones who play exclusively against human opponents. Nevertheless, any wargame designer knows, at least game sponsors and producers know, that 3/4 of the playing time out there for any particular game pit their hard-won consumer against the computer opponent. Although no one expects AI game challenge to be equal to a real face-to-face- or, I might say, screen to screen- hot seat or pbem experience, there is a minimum efficiency standard consumers can live with. A month or 2 ago, I pointed out what seems to be some of this Game Engine limitations unfit for an expanded SC3. AI Turn length is certainly one of those.

I can't help noticing that Global ( Thanks God It's here!) use a 256X64 map, basically the revisited blizkrieg 1.09 one. I first wondered why not the full map? Well, struggling with big mods gives the answer. The more tiles and units thrown in a scenario the longer AI turns become to the point, not a mere annoyance, we lose interest in the game, not a good prospect either for this proposed 512X256 map since it is going to be almost unusable. To be honest, I prefer mods to the included scenarios, the big ones like Honch FallWeiss larger Map or Big AI Bruteforce but, as you reach the middle game 42 and up, hum... the AI looks like a bit overwhelmed...

When I made Giant Conflict mod 256X128 ( it's still in the making because I have not found yet a solution for theses everlasting AI turns beside cutting everywhere) I realized that no matter what, past a certain map size and units quantity, AI routines jams get increasingly common with a long frozen screen in your eyes- even deleting all the scripts doesn't make a bit of difference. Don't get me wrong, I played monster games(board or computer ones) where a full hour turn is not infrequently seen for you or your human opponent , not to mention Pbem days of waiting sometimes. Tolerance level differs for that matter but everyone would agree that, for the sake of playability,the faster the better . So, As far as Global is concerned, the AI routines speed too should be looked through. It goes without saying I will buy Global even if the AI is dead or punishes its detractors with electric shocks

masterclaude

Could it be that there are too many layers? What if the road and rail layer was removed? How about the weather layer? Perhaps weather could be scripted as a diminished unit effectiveness by region.

What else could we do without? Perhaps our AT and AAA units could be attachments, make engineers' construction of enhancements a fuction of right click tile "properties" spending MPPs to accomplish their task.

Just some thoughts......I always have those!:D

Hi guys:

No worries, my Division/Corps level Expanded Fall Weiss MOD is being adapted to the Global Engine. It includes an even bigger map with the coastline of South America and more of Africa. New countries include the Czech nation, Abyssinia, Albania and Libya as conquered nations; Brazil, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, India and all of the "Free" governments of Europe that operated from London after their home nations were conquered. It will continue to be Fall Weiss based but has an enormous number of additions and changes since the old MOD.

There are also overland convoys between USSR and Germany, Vichy France and Germany, Romania and Germany and Italy and Germany and expanded "what-if" events.

With the scale and size of the MOD though, an AI is really not feasible until the engine better handles larger MODs.

Human to Human play should be alot of fund though.