Comments after reading more...

I think the 6 Majors are workable, depending on how some of the other rules are set up.

WOW I hope I have time to devote to making a massive, maximum size, 100% bestest most awesome map!

I find it odd that bizarre tiny Nations are countries but poor Netherlands is still "Benelux"

Surface raiding looks cool - is that what those ship outlines are along the coasts?

Netherlands is simply a game play/design choice due to the space on the map, but certainly editable as desired.

Those ship outlines along the coasts are Port Blockade positions that effectively reduce the applicable Port strengths rendering them potentially inoperable should enemy ships occupy those spaces. It adds a very nice strategic element to the game :)

This is of course on top of the new addition of Surface Raiders!

Regarding the new war interactions this was a key addition required in order to have the Global setting work properly under the Strategic Command engine.

For example, we still have the general alignments of Axis and Allied but depending on formal Belligerences, we can have an early war situation where Germany is at war with the UK and France, and Japan is only at war with China. The ultimate goal is of course the same for all sides, i.e. the Axis although not yet at war with a mutual enemy have to keep in mind the major alliances and work together for ultimate victory and vice versa.

So an expansion of hostilities for Japan into let's say Southeast Asia may bring the UK into the war against them but it also brings an ally to the fight in Germany. But this of course needs to be balanced off by the additional resources the UK may gain in its fight in either Theater.

Many options exist with the new Belligerence setting such as Japan launching an earlier sneak attack on the USSR before Germany is even at war with the Soviets, or an over aggressive Germany bringing the US into the war in Europe while the US is still not yet hostile with Japan allowing Japan to still try and launch a sneak attack if it has the means to do so.

Essentially strategy, balance and making educated guesses as to what your opponents are up to will be the key for both sides to achieve victory in the end.

Hubert

As far this additions sounds superb! =)

Does that mean that i can fight finnland if i like with the soviets when germany still prepares for weserubung?

Would it possible for moders to add more countries than actualy listed in the original game? (Arround 70 country slots?) Would be nice for mappers which like to create a original SC2 size map on global game.

Cheers

Dominik

Regarding the USSR and Finland there was some discussion about this during development but currently it is not an option. For now you must be fully mobilized in order to be at war but once mobilized you can declare war on whomever you choose. So for example, if the USSR reaches full mobilization and wishes to declare war on Finland, i.e. Finland has not yet joined the Axis, they can now certainly do so.

For the country slots it is currently fixed at 65.

Hubert

This "belligerence" feature sounds mighty awesome. Is this essentially a new form of diplomacy? Do we still have the old SC diplomacy mechanism, or is it replaced with this. Maybe both interact?

How does one attain "full mobilization"?

More information......................please.:cool:

Mobilization pretty much replaces the old 'Activation' variable and determines if your nation is now fully mobilized and prepared for war.

The big change though is that it does not necessarily mean you are now at war with anyone, unless your are scripted to be automatically belligerent with another nation, i.e. USSR will generally go to war with Germany once they are fully mobilized, but it does allow you to now choose to go to war with anyone of your enemies if you so like.

So for example, USSR ends up at war with Germany and if things are going well enough, the USSR can decide at the time of its choosing to go to war with Japan if they think it will be advantageous. Same for Japan, they can also decide to strike at the USSR at any time since they are already fully mobilized and at war with China.

Essentially there is much more flexibility and as a player for either side you need to be aware of the border situations and what your opponent may be up to and adequately prepare for that. It is no longer just timeline controlled, albeit we still have mechanisms to handle the historical situations, and this is one of the key changes that will make this release very unique to previous SC iterations.

For Diplomacy, much of it works the same and it is just the behind the scenes mechanisms that have changed. For example, minors are automatically set to join their majors' belligerence and vice versa. So you have to be careful as let's say the Japanese player, because a DoW on let's say Australia automatically brings the UK into the war against you and so on.

So the old activation triggers, like DoW, potentially hostile naval units in proximity, player decision choices and diplomatic chits drive the mobilization feature to the ultimate 100% where the player is free carry out his apirations?

Anything else that may impact the road to 100% mobilization that we haven't experienced before? Maybe things like an IT or PT level, other research parameters like Intel, perhaps a US naval unit running around the Atlantic discloses a maurading uboat (unintended incident)? How about diplomatically getting some trade routes(convoys) opened up or enhanced and having a certain MPP per turn activate the mobilization?

• 1 month later...
Netherlands is simply a game play/design choice due to the space on the map, but certainly editable as desired.

Hubert I think you should considers this decision. Belgium was under strong british influence since 1830 and definately strengthened the way the war went. Threatning belgian neutrality should render a war with the UK.

I believe my response quoted above was regarding another issue... but to answer your question specifically, if in one of the campaign setups Germany and the UK are not at war, then it certainly would be a major factor much as it was in the Storm of Steel campaign released for Patton Drives East.