Unit surnames?

umlaut

Here´s a question, I´ve often been asking myself, when playing CMBB and CMAK. I´ve been searching the threads here for an answer, but haven´t been able to find one. So now I´ll try asking here:

How has the names of the units in CM been generated?

Have they been chosen from a list of for instance the most common german surnames in the forties - or has the method been more random?

The reason I ask is that being a dane it seems to me that quite disproportionately large amount of the german soldiers bear danish surnames. Hansen and Andersen, for instance.

I am well aware that there - unfortunately - were a couple of thousand danes serving as volunteers for the axis - mostly in waffen SS, as far as I am aware. But not in any numbers that should warrant danish names showing up in the german ranks in CM, I should think.

It´s not that I´m griping or anything like that, I´m just curious and hope that someone at BF or this forum can provide me with an answer.

That´s not entirely true, Corvidae:

Yes, Germany aquired a large chunk of Denmark in the war in 1864. And because of that many danes were forced to fight for germany in WW I. But about half of this land returned to Denmark after a plebicide in 1920. And I don´t think the remaining part can account for the seemingly large number of danish names in CM.

Danish and german are not very closely related, danish is in many ways closer to english. Especially, the grammar of danish and german differs quite a lot. And most danes - like myself - speak german very poorly or not at all.