Game Long Replay

noxnoctum

Has no one thought to mod in a game-long continuous replay feature??? I can't believe it'd be that hard, since the basic capability is already built into the engine (the 60 second replay after each turn).

It'd be really useful and seriously simplify the ease of writing AARs. Not to mention very entertaining to have replays of your most glorious moments.

"Mod in"? Eh, you can't modify the way the game is programmed. Even Charles himself probably wouldn't be able to do it without spending a year on it, as it would require the game somehow to keep all the previous replays in memory, which for a big long battle would be lot. It's not that it hasn't been asked a million times since 2000, it just never was feasible and it wasn't a necessary function either.

Can be done already by using PBEMHelpers movie mode. Admittedly you have to press a key every minute and wait 5 seconds for the next film but that is a nothing timewise - and of course you keep all the controls to go back and forth and scan around the battlefield. Better than "a" film.

PbemHelper is here:

http://www.nic.fi/~fuerte/pbem.htm

: )

Unfortunately not, because you cannot save the action sequences in single player in the CMx1 engine. You can save the game before you press the Go button, but there is then slight random variation (especially with AI) between each time that you resolve the turn. One time your infantry team would successfully assault an enemy tank, the next time it spots the infantry, kills it and reverses to safety. :) It would also be very inconvenient to try to run it that way, as the AI and turn resolution take time.

edit: ah, dt was quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea about CMSF. I did once use a freeware program that would record your screen for what ever period you wanted but the megabyte cost was massive. On youtube you can see both Cm and CMSF films - but the effort required my seem poor compared to the number of games that could be played PBEM in the meantime.

In a small PBEM I can turn a turn around in about two minutes, just a film 90 seconds. You can play a lot of games at that speed : )