Is anyone using CM on a Windows 7 RC rig?

Alright. Quick impressions.

Using CMAK v1.03, with high-res BMP's (I just cut and pasted my entire mod-heavy BMP folder from the Win XP drive.) Battle was Chianti Country.

Initially, a wash-out - the monitor (1680x1050 22" Sceptre) starts to blink black frames, which rapidly degenerates into a total black screen.

But recalling some of the Nvidia/ATI driver issues of yore, I force x8 Anti-Antialiasing and try again. I complete the battle, start to finish, without one hiccup. Including a 3 hour mid-battle break for dinner/family time, leaving CM up and running during that interval. And very fast/smooth, though obviously a larger battle needs to be tested.

Rig is: Windows 7 RC x64 7100 build. Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard. Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition cpu @ 3.0 GHz. 4 gigs Mushkin 996625 DDR3 1600 memory. SB X-Fi audio. EVGA 9800GT 512 MB video card w/190.38 drivers.

• 2 months later...

Exactly what did you do to get it to work? What is "forcing anti-aliasing" and how do you do it? Sorry if the question sounds simple, but I have never has any problems with running CMx1 games, but I am getting a windows 7 machine soon and I want to make sure I know what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks.

jeanluc - what video card do you have in your system that you're considering getting Windows 7 for (Nvidia or ATI/AMD) ?

Typically both vendors, Nvidia and ATI, will have anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering off by default. They often leave it to be controlled by applications ("Application Controlled"), which newer games can control directly from their own control panels. The CMx1 series (CMBO, CMBB & CMAK) have NO such controls. Thus they are dependent on the setting for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering as set by the respective control panel for the video cards. For ATI/AMD that would be the Catalyast Control Center - a small application. For Nvidia it would be the Nvidia Control Panel found in the Control Panel (in its "Manage 3D Settings" portion).

Changing the setting from "Application Controlled" to something like "2X", "4X", etc. is how you would "force" the setting. Nvidia has 'Program Settings' in its control panel that are profiles for individual applications/games. Thus you could set a specific set of settings just for CM that do not necessarily have to apply to any other game.

Thanks for the help. I am thinking about getting a system with a GeForce GTX 260 graphics card (a pretty basic dell/Alienware unit). I realize the Cmx1 games are old, but it would be great to still play them. My current XP system uses a Radeon 9800 card, and to be honest I have never had any issue with any game; they all have worked right out of the box, so I really have never had to try to play with then card's settings before. I thought about just keeping it to use older games on, but who has room for 2 desktops. Thanks for all the info.