Normandy Game

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normandy will be great, but the real fun will come with the commonwealth module...

Re-creating all the Canadian/British clashes with the SS around Caen is going to make me lose a hell of alot of sleep...

Having said that - my namesake's division - '17th SS Panzergrenadier - Götz von Berlichingen' (reconnaissance battalion I believe) fought against the US 101st at Carentan on the 11th on June, 1944.

So does that mean there will be some SS units included in the initial base game? Or does the base game not necessarily mean everything that faced the US forces?

Fallschirmjäger would have to be a dead certainty to make it into the base Normandy game being that they were opposite the Americans from the get-go at Carentan etc... etc...

Normandy will be great, but the real fun will come with the commonwealth module...

Re-creating all the Canadian/British clashes with the SS around Caen is going to make me lose a hell of alot of sleep...

Fallschirmjäger would have to be a dead certainty to make it into the base Normandy game being that they were opposite the Americans from the get-go at Carentan etc... etc...

Unless of course they just decide that Paratroopers of all nationalities becomes its own module (along with probably a Market-Garden Campaign).

Unless of course they just decide that Paratroopers of all nationalities becomes its own module (along with probably a Market-Garden Campaign).

If we were going to make every branch of the armed forces a different module then we would have a pretty ordinary game until all modules are released...

The Germans were masters of combined arms, so I would be somewhat dissapointed if the base Normandy game only has the US vs Eastern Europeans forced to fight for the Germans (in other words - sub par units).

Having Fallschirmjäger and maybe a few basic SS units would be just fine.... as well as wehrmacht of course!

Where is the fun in being overrun by Yanks. :D

From memory of one of Steve's posts in the past. CM:N will come only with the US & German forces based on the Normandy time frame only. The 1st module will introduce the Commonwealth forces to allow simulating the battles around Caen etc. The second module will simulate the Market Garden time period, presumably including Polish airborne units and other updated bits of kit that was available in the September to October time period.

The second stand alone game will be CM:Bulge to simulate the Battle of the Bulge (funnily enough). The reason for this split into 2 seperate games is due to the completely different terrain that needs to be modelled in a winter environment such as as snow, frozen rivers (maybe?), forests with little foliage etc. This second stand alone game will eventually cover the remainder of the war on the Western front up to the fall of Berlin with subsequent module releases that will presumably cover the Rhine crossings and German hinterland battles.

I'm sure Steve will chime in in due course and correct me if he sees I've stuffed up any details.

:)

Regards

KR

CM:N will feature US paratroopers?

Thats what I am now wondering. Normandy would feel awfully lonely without any paratroopers.

So, from what I am reading, paratroopers wont be in the base Normandy game, but will be added in one of the modules? I am okay with that as long as they make it in eventually.

But if the timeframe for the first module is till August, that means no Market Garden. Or is tht the timeframe only for the base Normandy game, and Market Garden can extend past that?

. . . cue Steve coming in here to clear things up . . .

:)

Once paratroopers arrive then I can see no reasons why Market Garden wont be simulated.

In fact once CMN arrives I would imagine a whole lot of scenarios may be made that dont cover Normandy. CMAK has a whole swathe of scenarios that cover other theatres.

I'm sure the base game comes with things like SS and Tigers as has already been stated and so a lot of missions can be designed that dont necessarily include Normandy. Anything with a N European Summery feel can be played out by a scenario maker.

Having said that - my namesake's division - '17th SS Panzergrenadier - Götz von Berlichingen' (reconnaissance battalion I believe) fought against the US 101st at Carentan on the 11th on June, 1944.

So does that mean there will be some SS units included in the initial base game? Or does the base game not necessarily mean everything that faced the US forces?

Cue the SS obsessed masses then! What is it about them that people get fixated on, the uniforms, the evil that goes along with it? I always wonder.

Who said there would be no paratroopers in Normandy? That would be...nuts.

I better see some properly modeled mechanized cavalry in there as well. The 113th Cavalry was my Grandfathers "outfit" (as he called it), and they saw plenty of action around St. Lo and beyond. No horses necessary.

Perhaps Paratroopers could be introduced as a sweetner to the US buyer in the Brit Module?

As for the game, it all depends on the focus. CM-2 games are more focused than previous ones with the modules adding something new (so far) to the base games as an addition to main module. So I wouldn't imagine seeing every US infantry and armoured unit in a CM-N game, but can imagine things like paras being included in a further module.

Perhaps Paratroopers could be introduced as a sweetner to the US buyer in the Brit Module?

As for the game, it all depends on the focus. CM-2 games are more focused than previous ones with the modules adding something new (so far) to the base games as an addition to main module. So I wouldn't imagine seeing every US infantry and armoured unit in a CM-N game, but can imagine things like paras being included in a further module.

Which I am fine with. In my opinion, $25 is more than fair for how much we have been given out of Marines and British.

I would just like to know whats in the works as far as *planned* modules go . . .

KR wins the prize for paying attention the best :D

From memory of one of Steve's posts in the past. CM:N will come only with the US & German forces based on the Normandy time frame only. The 1st module will introduce the Commonwealth forces to allow simulating the battles around Caen etc. The second module will simulate the Market Garden time period, presumably including Polish airborne units and other updated bits of kit that was available in the September to October time period.

The second stand alone game will be CM:Bulge to simulate the Battle of the Bulge (funnily enough). The reason for this split into 2 seperate games is due to the completely different terrain that needs to be modelled in a winter environment such as as snow, frozen rivers (maybe?), forests with little foliage etc. This second stand alone game will eventually cover the remainder of the war on the Western front up to the fall of Berlin with subsequent module releases that will presumably cover the Rhine crossings and German hinterland battles.

I'm sure Steve will chime in in due course and correct me if he sees I've stuffed up any details.

Nothing stuffed :D The other reason why the Bulge is a separate Family is because just before the battle both sides made major efforts at reorganizing their ground forces. Lots of new weapons and vehicles in the mix as well. The overlap, therefore, with Normandy is not as big as it may seem to be. Certainly a lot of what is in Normandy will also be in Bulge, but the amount of new stuff (terrain and weather included) in Bulge will be substantial. Then after the Bulge there are even more reorgs, more weapons, more vehicles to simulate.

As for Airborne troops in Normandy. We're planning on having US Airborne forces in the initial release. The Arnhem focused Module will have different Airborne TO&E since they made significant changes between Normandy and Arnhem. Plus, there are other things which came into being around that timeframe which also are important to simulate besides just the Airborne component. Remember, we aren't simulating a specific battle with any of these releases, but a particular timeframe and national focus. Therefore the 2nd Module will feature a strong focus on Arnhem, but will provide all of the goodies necessary to simulate other battles of the same timeframe.

Steve

KR wins the prize for paying attention the best :D

As for Airborne troops in Normandy. We're planning on having US Airborne forces in the initial release. The Arnhem focused Module will have different Airborne TO&E since they made significant changes between Normandy and Arnhem. Plus, there are other things which came into being around that timeframe which also are important to simulate besides just the Airborne component. Remember, we aren't simulating a specific battle with any of these releases, but a particular timeframe and national focus. Therefore the 2nd Module will feature a strong focus on Arnhem, but will provide all of the goodies necessary to simulate other battles of the same timeframe.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for clearing up our collective confusion. Seems like some of us have better memories than others - its obvious which end I fall in :)

So are there only two planned modules for Normandy? Brits (first) and Arnhem (second)?

So all equipment, formations and vehicles that were present for the battle between USA and Germandy for Normandy will be in the base game on release? In other words, outside of some really obscure stuff that was not mainstream, we will have the equipment and TO&E's that were present in the battle for Normandy - including USA airborne troops.

Thanks again for the reply.

Chad

Then, of course the question is, when can you guys show us some more bones? :P The Tiger screenie was way back already, and some pictures would shut us up for some time to come :P

I suspect they are working on programming the new features first with the pretty stuff coming later. But they can show us some clown cars, can't they?

Cue the SS obsessed masses then! What is it about them that people get fixated on, the uniforms, the evil that goes along with it? I always wonder.

The Nazis had a remarkably good propaganda machine. That, and the Gestapo, were probably what they were best at. They were spin doctors par excellent, as witness how many people this far down the road continue to emphasize the excellence of German arms and little or none of their failures.

Michael

@ Steve

I don´t know, if it is asked yet, but which side will be played by the customer in the Campaigns?

In my opinion, the game-play makes only sense, when the customer plays the attacker against a defending KI. So it might be...

Basic game: Normandy: Playing the US

1. Modul: Commenwealth: Playing the Brits

2. Modul: Bulge: Playing the Germans.

Am i right? :confused:

Greets, MARS42

The Nazis had a remarkably good propaganda machine. That, and the Gestapo, were probably what they were best at. They were spin doctors par excellent, as witness how many people this far down the road continue to emphasize the excellence of German arms and little or none of their failures.

Michael

Good points there.

I think far too many people get hung up with the sexy German uniforms and supposedly superior equipment and forget about how terrible they actually were at running a war economy or actually fighting a war. Which is good for us I suppose as if not the murdering bastards would have killed everyone by now!

@ Steve

I don´t know, if it is asked yet, but which side will be played by the customer in the Campaigns?

In my opinion, the game-play makes only sense, when the customer plays the attacker against a defending KI. So it might be...

Basic game: Normandy: Playing the US

1. Modul: Commenwealth: Playing the Brits

2. Modul: Bulge: Playing the Germans.

Am i right? :confused:

Greets, MARS42

Would a game sell in the US if it were Germans Vs US AI defending units?

I'm not sure the BFC target audience would be up for this. Secondly, its not the Bulge particularly as Steve said its a time period that possibly starts at the Bulge and ends in May 45, and who was on the offensive for most of this time?