ASUS AH3650 - problem with 3D

Hi!

My old friend, ASUS V8460 GeForce4, a card with AGP, have given up. I paniced and bought the only available grafic card, with AGP, that I could find with short notice - It was ASUS AH3650. The driver is; ATI ver. 8.523.0.0

I removed the CMBB Prefs, and CMBB suggested "1600x1200 at 60MHz" (And it even mention the name of the card! Never seen that before). BB works in 2D. In 3D the text drops out, there is some black parts and nothing moves/works. System hang if I try do look around.

The card pass the 3D-test in Dx9.0c

Monitor is set to 16 bits (CMBB never worked in 32 bits for me)

My rig:

OS - XP SP3

MB - ASUS P4S8x with 2GB DIM-RAM. (SIS AGP - Driver is SIS ver. 7.1.12.3)

CPU - Pentium IV, 2,65 GHz

Thanks in advance, for any help/suggestions!

What do these Asus numbers translate to in real graphics card designations?

Most likely your problem is that the power supply isn't sufficient for the new card. In general you can't just go and plug much new graphics cards into old PCs when the old PC was cheap.

But you didn't tell us what graphics card the ATI is so who knows.

Buying an ATI card in a panic situation is understandable, about as much as somebody with sudden severe vertigo jumping right off a roof.

Hi!

Thanks for the replay, your effort is much appreciated.

"What do these Asus numbers translate to in real graphics card designations?"

Not sure I understand the question! Here is some tec. spec;

¤ ASUS AH3650 SILENT/HTDI - graphics adapter - Radeon HD 3650 - 512 MB

¤ Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 3650

¤ Core Clock Speed 725 MHz

¤ Graphics Card Performance: This card is compatible with the new rendering features of DirectX 10, which is featured in the Windows Vista operating system.

¤ Video Memory Installed 512 MB

¤ Technology DDR2 SDRAM 128-bit

¤ Memory Clock Speed 1 GHz

"Most likely your problem is that the power supply isn't sufficient for the new card. In general you can't just go and plug much new graphics cards into old PCs when the old PC was cheap."

The card take extra power (not only through the AGP-port) and I have connected that cable.

"But you didn't tell us what graphics card the ATI is so who knows."

Again, you expose my ignorance. I thought that the graphic card was "ASUS AH3650".

"Buying an ATI card in a panic situation is understandable, about as much as somebody with sudden severe vertigo jumping right off a roof."

The sence of vertigo describe the feeling quite well, when my PC broke down. The demand for AGP limited the number of suitable cards (actually there was only two in my local shop) and since I had ASUS before, then I bought ASUS again. (Stupid consumer logic, but who says that we always "know" what we bay?)

Thanks again!

What kind of PSU do you have (brand/model/wattage)?

Perhaps the name is AOpen? It's 300W, and I think that the recommendations for the card was 325W. But I was told that if the clock frequence didn't drop, then there is no problem. I don't know how to check that, but other games like IL-2 and Silent Hunter 3 seems to work just fine.

Since the most importent thing is to have a PC that can run CMBB/AK (been a part of my life for 5 (?) years now), I'm willing to throw away the card and try another.

Is XFX GeForce 6200A 256MB APG a card that is known to work with CM? Seems to be a cheep and simple card that isn't too much for my old PC.

That's bogus. There is no way that 325 Watts power a modern card, even a powersaving one like this one, in combination with a power hog like Pentium IV. I am surprised it even ran with a GeForce 4.

And Aopen 300 watts probably equal 220 or so real watts from a reputable brand.

Futhermore, your PSU most likely has the power in the wrong rails. These days pretty much everything is 12V, it used to be that CPUs use 5V and that graphics cards with no molex power connector fed off the APG bus which only provides 5 V.

Redwolf! The day you was born was a blessed day!

I bought a new PSU-430W, and now everything is working much smoother. I have smoke, fog and with the Radeon/ATI text fix, I can read the signs. Havn't played anything yet, but I have high hopes for the best.

The only issue is that the editor is extremly slow in 2D. I had the same problem with my old GeForce for any newer driver. But using an old driver (Nvida 30.82) it worked perfect. Is there any particular driver version that can fix this problem with Radeon?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------

BTW, I noticed that BFC sell (sic!) a fix for Vista. It surprised me (as a PhD in business administration) that they not included more fixes, e.g. for ATI grafic and fixed some things in the game as well (perhaps uppgradet CMBB to CMAK standard). Then I believed that every one of us gladly would have payed $20-50 for it. (But I can do witout that "e-licence" thing?)

Hmm ...

Dispite my high hopes .... Tested now with my ongoing PBEM, and it wasn't good at all. Very sluggish and slow. Tuned of more or less everything, from flags to smoke, but it didn't helped.

Can changing the driver fix this thing?

I have ver. 8.523-080808a-068178E-ASUS from ATI

2D driver - 6.14.10.6844

Direct3D version - 6.14.10.0603

OpenGL version - 6.14.10.7877

I have on my newest PC, an ATI 3870 and it does not play well with any CMx1 game. The CMx1's only play well on my other two older PC's, the best on my ATI x800, second best on the ATI 1950. Basicaly the newer the ATI card, the worse CMx1 plays and since they all use the exact same ATI drivers, it unfortunately has to be in the hardware. This is why I went out on ebay and bought another AGP ATI x800 so I can continue playing CMx1 into the future if my current AGP ATI x800 ever gives up the ghost.

...since they all use the exact same ATI drivers, it unfortunately has to be in the hardware. ...

Thanks a lot, that was useful information. I thougt that the problem perhaps could be solved with an older driver or something.

I bought another card, an XTX GeForce 6200A, and now CM1 works again. But I have the impression that it's not really as smooth as before, and the editor in 2D is definitly like scrolling in jam - I know the trick with turning of height, and it helps, but MappingMission will not work. That is a driver issue, since my old card worked well up 'till Nvidia 30.82. Does anyone has any suggestion for the best driver for GeForce 6200 and CM1?

I'm pretty sure it is the ATI card and drivers. I had a Sapphire HD3850 and it ran really sloooooowww in all the CM games. The best ATI drivers that work for CM are CAT 7.11, but since you are talking about a newer ATI card I'm pretty sure these old drivers will not work with it.

Note: Just reread your post, you got it fixed.

Newer ATI HD cards and CM don't seem to play well together with the newer drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded to a new PC reciently and I now have the ATI 4890 video card. As a result, all my CMx1 games play fine now with a usual 50-60 FPS most of the time.

The only problems that I have are the typical ATI AA .bmp fix and having to drop to desktop and come back in to see the scenarios at the scenario selection screen. After having to play all my CMx1 games on my old ATI X800 video card PC, these two small problems are nothing now and having the great FPS on large scenarios sure is nice.

Looks like ATI finally solved all of the problems in their 4800 series of video cards that caused the CMx1 games to crawl along FPS wise in their 2900 and 3700 series of video cards.